My Homemade Gp2x Stand

Hippo

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I got tired of holding the damn thing while watching movies etc so I decided to build a stand for it.

I looked at all the options, including a thread on this board but decided to create one from a few bits of flat aluminium I had stored away (they were the ends from an enclosure)

Being aluminium it was nice and easy to bend by hand, the foam was added to stop the GP2X from slipping and scratching. The connecting piece at the bottom was secured with super glue. There are 4 clear rubber feet on the bottom to stop it sliding around the desk.

Im pretty happy with the results, if only the EXT port wasnt at the bottom it would have made a great dock.

Heres some eye candy..

stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

stand3.jpg

stand4.jpg

very nice very neat finish looks almost professional you should sell them on ebay

I would buy one!

Nice one.. :)

For the lazy folks though, here is an alternative solution that works perfectly, too...

1) Get a metal rod, two metal rods or two plastic rods (Lollipop sticks work nicely!) that are able to fit in the GP2x screw holes on the back of the unit. Metal is a bit better though as it is more easilly deformable without losing any of it's strength.
2) If you have only one rod, bend it so it makes a nice U shape. Note that it should a high as the GP2x unit itself is. Preferably a bit higher. If you have two rods, cut them to the right size if they're too big.
3) If the rods do not stick properly inside the GP2x's screw holes on the back of the unit, use something to enlarge the rod's width at one end so it fits properly. Glow in the dark glue works nicely for this, since it is nicely flexible.
4) Stick the rods/rod in, and bend them so they make a proper angle.
5) Enjoy your homemade 1-minute GP2x stand.

Looks great. I've bought something called "magic plastic" lately. Plastic strips that get flexible when you put them in hot water and get hard and unbreakable when you put them in cold water. I think I'll go after your design, Hippo. :)

Can you remould them after you harden them in cold water by once again putting them in hot water?

- Alex

Mirrorhead posted on Dec 15 2006 at 02:49 PM said:
Looks great. I've bought something called "magic plastic" lately. Plastic strips that get flexible when you put them in hot water and get hard and unbreakable when you put them in cold water. I think I'll go after your design, Hippo. :)

That sounds cool - where did you get it from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back