Weird Computer Problem.

xnopasaranx said:
I can't find that option in the bios. I might have overlooked it and will try again. It has to be somewhere in there.
It's called something like "Onboard MAC" on my K8N or something retarded like that.. Lemme know if you still can't find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes, found it now and tried to turn it off. Now that didn't solve the problem either. Socket light is working aswell. The cable is only connected to my xbox by crossover right now, but the computer behaved the same when I had a normal cable on it plugged into a switch.

Fuck... I will see if I can find something wrong with the soldering later. Don't want to rip the whole computer apart right now to reach the motherboards with my voltmeter.

I have read on a french forum that some Asus mobo have 2 Rj45 connectors:
One nvidia and one Yukon, you'll have to use the Nvidia, not the Yukon one.

xnopasaranx said:
The cable is only connected to my xbox by crossover right now
Pirate! ;)

virusx: I too have a NVidia motherboard (Lanparty) and find that although the NVidia socket doesn't stop my PC from powering up, it simply doesn't work properly. I have to use the Yukon one. Plus of course the NVidia firewall stuff is pants, so got uninstalled within hours of an curious installation.

Actually I only have one. Pretty sure... Like I said, it's an older board.

Blah said:
@lubidog: Just because the disc drive doesn't work in XP doesn't mean you can't boot off it.
But how? If I put the windows disc into the drive, and the computer can't find it how can it read the stuff off it?

I am all excited by your answer, thanks.

And @Xnan-stop trying to stop me boycott your thread.

lubidog said:
Blah said:
@lubidog: Just because the disc drive doesn't work in XP doesn't mean you can't boot off it.
But how? If I put the windows disc into the drive, and the computer can't find it how can it read the stuff off it?

I am all excited by your answer, thanks.

And @Xnan-stop trying to stop me boycott your thread.

Try it. As long as the hardware itself isn't fried it'll work. See, Windows accessing the drive is software controlled. The BIOS accessing the drive on boot up is hardware (or at least firmware) controlled. Therefore, there is a chance that booting off the Windows CD could work, like I said, unless the hardware itself is the problem. Then you should just buy a new drive.

Hiya,

Thanks for all the help. Tried everything, but couldn't actually get the back off properly. But now I know it is a hardware problem. There is power to the drive, as it opens and the light blinks. But windows just can't read it.

I'll take it to a repairer tomorrow.

But thanks again!

Yeah... thanks for all your help too guys. Couldn't get it to work either but I have more of an idea now what could be wrong... looks like a new motherboard for me. Shite. Means new cpu, new ram, new psu and probably a new gfx card. I might have to save up a little for this.

Why buy a new one? You said it works fine if you take out the network cord at boot-up. That's like me saying I need a new computer just because I need to tap the space bar to get it to boot the OS, which is actually the case atm :D Taught me a good lesson about spilling precious vodka on a laptop keyboard :p

Well I am afraid it is a little more complicated then that. You see, just leaving out the network cable won't make it start up. I need to have it plugged in, have a current run through it (that makes the led light up the connector) and then pull it out to make the computer power on. If I try to boot it without the network cable in, nothing will happen. I will always need to crawl under my desk and perform that weird cable hotswap or rather coldswap ^^. Really annoying.

xnopasaranx said:
Well I am afraid it is a little more complicated then that. You see, just leaving out the network cable won't make it start up. I need to have it plugged in, have a current run through it (that makes the led light up the connector) and then pull it out to make the computer power on. If I try to boot it without the network cable in, nothing will happen. I will always need to crawl under my desk and perform that weird cable hotswap or rather coldswap ^^. Really annoying.
I've fixed thousands of computers (not that this makes me superman or anything, just a fact as it was my job for a looooong time) and I've never seen this problem. I've seen *similar* problems back when capacitor problems plagued the industry, but that was solved long before your motherboard was manufactured.

If you want my opinion, I think it's pretty unlikely it's the motherboard itself (perhaps a 10% chance). Reason being, that ASUS boards have always been top notch (I am VERY VERY picky about manufacturers and have dealt with numerous boards from every manufacturer). The fact that my onboard LAN konked out is really pretty unusual and I have a very different board than yours.

I think the problem is either your power supply (is it a quality PSU, have you tried another?) , a motherboard mounting issue (something being grounded that shouldn't), or something else even less obvious. I suggest trying a new PSU first.

If that doesn't fix it, I'd try removing the motherboard and the PSU and the graphics card and connecting them together outside the case, laying them on a non-conductive, elevated surface perhaps on a cardboard pizza box. See if the problem still continues.
Then, if that doesn't fix it I think you should take your computer in to someone knowledgable (i.e., not a giant electronics store, but a local company that is on top of their game. hard to find sometimes) before spending $500 or more on a new system.

Okay, thanks for your suggestions. I thought of the psu to be the problem but I couldn't think of a logical explanation for it to stop my computer to power up in connection with the lan connector. Maybe it is a grounding issue. I will try and replace the psu and also see if I can get the motherboard out of the case and see if that changes anything.

The strangest thing is, if I actually boot up the computer, it runs with no problems whatsoever... I can access my LAN/xbox over crossover, and I can leave the system on for hours without anything strange occuring.

xnopasaranx said:
Well I am afraid it is a little more complicated then that. You see, just leaving out the network cable won't make it start up. I need to have it plugged in, have a current run through it (that makes the led light up the connector) and then pull it out to make the computer power on. If I try to boot it without the network cable in, nothing will happen. I will always need to crawl under my desk and perform that weird cable hotswap or rather coldswap
Why didn't you say this at the beginning? We assumed your network cable was always in simply due to it being connected to your xbox and you just had to remove it to boot your pc, hence the answers.

Since you say it requires an active ethernet connection (one which makes the lights come on), then it does sound like it's an electrical proplem like Senor Quack says.

What kind of PC is it? Does it have a 20 way power supply connector? If so, remove that connector and look for signs of burns. It's usually white or clear, so they should easily be visible.

Squidge said:
Since you say it requires an active ethernet connection (one which makes the lights come on), then it does sound like it's an electrical proplem like Senor Quack says.
One thing that popped out at me was this:

xnopasaranx said:
Now why the hell is this so? It is really getting annoying. I cannot just switch that piece of shit on without crawling under my desk. Nothing else seems to be broken except for my cpu fan-connector. That thing just stopped supplying enough current so I have to use the case fan connector for my cpu. This leads me to the conclusion that something with the power supply must be wrong or a capacitor might have popped on the board.
Now, onboard fan headers are only rated to deliver so much current. If you try to connect a high-speed CPU fan, or a fan that whose blades have a lot of mass, to a standard fan header, you might eventually burn that part of the motherboard out. What CPU fan are you using, xnopassaranx? If you're trying to use the ThermalTake WORLD-DESTROYER 5000 CPU fan/heatsink, burn out one fan header, then simply move it to another poor old fan connector, it wouldn't surprise me if weirdness in other circuitry occurs.

xnopasaranx said:
smoking too much pott lately or what?
Hey now pass me one when you've had enuff ;) This computer shit sure stresses one out, sometimes. (Why I don't work on computers anymore, but that was mostly spyware that did my ass in)

Senor Quack said:
Hey now pass me one when you've had enuff ;) This computer shit sure stresses one out, sometimes. (Why I don't work on computers anymore, but that was mostly spyware that did my ass in)
Hey! I hear ya man!
Back in the day I was a whizz and knocked out code daily - 'til I crashed back in '01

These days my attention is short and interest is limited, and I'm doing something else.

Peace! B)

Back