Computer Trouble

I recently reformatted my computer and install XP Pro from scratch. I only had one problem since: the speakers aren't working. I've already tried using the add hardware wizard and the XP installation CD and Google, but I haven't fix the problem. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Edit: According to the add hardware wizard the only audio related driver that is missing is "Multimedia Audio Controller". I also am sure that the problem is software side as the speakers are functioning properly.

When you say the speakers arent working, do you mean the pc doesnt detect your sound card or the ACTUAL speakers themselves are the problem?

Edit: According to the add hardware wizard the only audio related driver that is missing is "Multimedia Audio Controller". I also am sure that the problem is software side as the speakers are functioning properly.

Yeah, that means you're missing the Audio Drivers.
Do you have an external audio card?
If yes: Which one?

Or do you have the sound included on the Motherboard:
If yes: Which motherboard do you have?

Then we can find you the drivers you need and give you download links.

Last edited:
I don't know the motherboard, but my computer is a HP Pavilion 515x with 2.2 Ghz Celeron. And the Device Manager has Legacy Audio Drivers listed under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers. This is about all I can tell you about my computer.

Do you plug in the speakers now the keyboard/mouse ps/2 scokets or do you have a seperate soundcard in your PCI slots?

if you can post a picture of the back of your computer here. I suspect it be part of the motherboard in which you have to find your motherboard drivers (usually be on a cd that came with the PC/motherboard).

the only time my speakers didn't work when they were pluged in was befor I knew about adware and spyware and then I got spybot search and destroy and ran that and deleted about a million things and then they worked :blink:

that confused me a lot but w/e

Back