Weird Computer Problem.

Today my computer psu blew on me. Big badaboom and the motherboard is probably gone. Luckily I took the cables out of the harddrives before fiddling around. Was trying to see if I could find out what was wrong with the psu, disconnected it from the board, plugged it back in and boom! I guess I can trash the mobo and gpu. Too bad... now I do have to get brandnew stuff I guess. I am going to save up some money and get myself something nice.

Shit.

EDIT: Had a quick look through some parts lists and came up with the following new computer setup for a dirt cheap price. Since I do not intend to run games but use it mainly to fiddle around with linux and compiz aswell as listening to music with amarok, this should serve me well enough:

1x AMD64 AM2 dualcore 2x2500 CPU
1x Freezer 64 Pro Fan
1x ASRock NF6G Alive Motherboard
1x Asus PCI-Express FX6200 DVI Graphics card with 256MB of Vram
1x LC Power PSU 550 Watts
2x PC-667 DDR2 Ram by corsair with 1024MB each

That setup would cost me about 262,50 Euros at the place I had a look into, if they actually have the parts in stock. I would use my old HDDs since they are all still intact aswell as DVD-Burner. Motherboard has got gigabit lan onboard and some fair enough soundcard.

If all you do is fiddle around with Linux, for pete's sake save your money and get a used Athlon64 socket 754 or something dirt cheap.

If you do get a new PSU and board and everything else, whatever you do get a quality PSU. It's one thing to never go cheap on. You are in Europe, so I don't know what brands are good over there, but do some research.

Yeah thanks senor quack. That's what other people told me before and I should have listened. Well I wanna fiddle around with linux and do my usual stuff but I'd like to see a dual core cpu perform and also use compiz nicely and smoothly, so I figured if I would spend my money on drugs, booze and videogames otherwise, I might get a decent new computer aswell. I got some money for christmas which will partly go into this. I will also get a new case with a quality psu built in as that's only 20 bucks more. It's a nice medium sized case which has a few nice extras such as a front display that shows fanspeed and temperature... I'll have to see if 420W is enough for my purposes as I am going to have a couple of harddrives running and I don't want the pc to get too hot. Maybe I should opt for a 500W psu. Dunno yet... I'll ask the guys at the shop tomorrow.

Back