Computer Building

rcx21000

Website
Visit site
How bad would it be not to have a case fan (in the back, exhaust) in this system (runing 24/7):

Athlon XP 2500+ - boxed, using the fan & heatsink that came with it
FX5200 - passive cooling
2 7200RPM 80GB HDs - no cooling
2 256MB pieces of RAM

??

I would like it more to not have any, but if the computer will burn up w/o one, then mabye I think I'll put one :p

Just know you run a higher risk of something getting overheated. It does not mean you will overheat soemthing. I actually run like 4 fans in my computer. But I have it runnign all the time so I think the extra cooling is good.

Whats your reason for not having one?

They cost? Noise?

There not that expensive a Y-Stech is pretty cheap and very quiet (i can barely hear mine)

Or get a Papst there more expensive .. but totally silent.

noise at night.. presumbe it'll be on for downloading, not much cpu needed so buy a fan controller or fan controlled one and turn it down to minimum at night.

Or monitor the temps at first if with out one if the temps seem reasonable under a stress test you may find you do'nt need one.

Althoughthese days with hot gfx cards and cpu matched together proabbly unlikely hut i've known people not ot bother with them in the winter ;)

skysnapper posted on Feb 4 2004 at 09:50 AM said:
Or get a Papst there more expensive .. but totally silent.
Papst fans are quiet, not totally silent.

Why don't you download Motherboard Monitor so you can watch what happens when you ad/remove a fan. Set it to monitor your harddrives too, these will probably overheat first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 9 Fans in my Case :D and im gonna fit 2 more in :D hehe...

I only have the one on my power supply and the one on the heat sink above the CPU, and my PC is fine even though the bios report states that it runs at a permanent 76'C.

I want to fit so many fans in my case that i can put it on a skate board and have it propel itself round the room.

ive got two on mine, one in the psu and one that i put ontop of the heatsink. if i ever get some super glue ill be able to sort it so it makes extremely little noise.

Twimfy posted on Feb 4 2004 at 02:18 PM said:
:blink: From what I saw anything over 60C is bad :) Anyways, the main reason that I'm asking is that it would be hard to convince my dad that the fan is important enough to get b4 I make the computer, but not something sooooooo big that I can't be trusted to get good pieces anymore, and he makes we wait another week or two to make sure that I have all the pieces... :p

Oh, and I'm keeping it on 24/7 for a small server which I guess only 1-2ppls go on every day (but they are in completly differnet timezones, so I have to keep it on 24/7) but I'll prolly be running S@H on it, sooooo I guess that I'll get a case fan... :)

I want to fit so many fans in my case that i can put it on a skate board and have it propel itself round the room.

First you need to get a company to make a Mobo with 20 software controlled fan headers :) Then you can make a prog to have the comp come to you whenever you clap - another step into making fully dog-like comps :p (you could even take your comp out for a walk :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a P4 and an FX5800.

They'll both throttle if they get too hot... ;)

I'd go with a single 7 volt modded 120mm fan.

I have two case fans which are very cheasy and produce so much noise that you can hear them from across a 30 ft. room. So, in the end I have to put my computer in a special compartment under my desk in order to keep the sound level down. :(

Back