Weird/akward/strange (from a "western" perspective) movies

thatgui

Advanced Member
I got a colleague who is into asian movies, and while I usually get really good recommendation from him, like "Gwoemul/The Host" or "Serbuan maut/The Raid" (the martial arts parts was a tad overdone though) this time, he screwed up (in my opinion):

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ecRUlVOCg9Q?feature=oembed
In the defense of the movie: after about 30min I decided I got better things to do (I guess I'm getting old), so the movie may get better after that.

Anyone else like to share rather strange encounters ?

One movie that disturbed me and that I would refuse to watch again is The Rocky Horror Picture Show... maybe it would have offended me less if I had watched it under different circumstances, but my father decided to watch it with me when I was just a kid. I seriously wonder what the hell he was thinking putting that movie on...

=~. O =

People really get offended by RHPS? Weird. Then again, yes, as a kid I'd probably have found it a bit on the strange side. yes...

Nah, that's true, it might not be father-son-bonding material.

Note how I managed to avoid writing "bondage" in the sentence above. Coz that'd been disturbing. :)

This is more a personal thing than a cultural thing, but many romantic movies bother me.

I am a fan of some "out there" stuff from around the world.  Actually, most of my favorite movies and television series have frequently been called "weird".  Hell, some people still call Lexx weird.  I always thought it was goofy, but not weird.  

Some directors I like that have some films that might be considered weird are David Lynch, Terry Gilliam and Miike Takashi.  Darren Aranofsky's stuff might fit.  I have only seen 3 of his films, and my favorite is still Pi.

I might make some time to throw together a list.  What do you like, and what are you looking for, thatgui?

One movie that disturbed me and that I would refuse to watch again is The Rocky Horror Picture Show... maybe it would have offended me less if I had watched it under different circumstances, but my father decided to watch it with me when I was just a kid. I seriously wonder what the hell he was thinking putting that movie on...

=~. O =
After all the speak about that film I finally watched it... O_O it was very hard to watch it till the end, and I realized I'm not so open minded as I was thinking to be... on the other side I never liked musichalls...

A both weird AND great movie I have seen was "My Sassy Girl" (subtitled) the original korean.

It is in 2 parts, 2 movies, the first is one of the most weird and sick movies I ever seen... the second part is, at the contrary, one of the most romantic story I ever seen

The prequel of my sassy girl was made much later though.
Are you referring to "Windstruck" ? (I didn't even know about it until now !!)

I was speaking just about the first movie, maybe I used a wrong term with "2 movies" but I remember it was so long for a single film, and the 2 parts were so different from each other.

EDIT: (actually as the wiki says, "My Sassy Girl" has 3 parts, so it was indeed very long)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, windstruck. It was not very good. It was actually pretty crappy, but the actress saves the movie a bit. 

My Sassy girl is excellent, however :) I saw it the first time when I was in Singapore 10+ years ago.

Talking of Takashi Miikei, I think I've only seen Audition of his films. And I found that weird enough to not seek out any more.

My introduction to his stuff was Visitor Q.  Within a couple minutes I knew I had another great filmmaker to add to my list.

=~. O =
I guess, either an attempt to bond (and its tempting to do so, I know first hand > boy glad my father was more into action movies) or he wanted to broaden your view on certain aspects of live.
I have fond memories of TRHPS, but I was already 20 when I first saw it, and I was more into the spectacle around the movie then the movie itself (too bad the cleaning bill was higher than the proceeds at some point).

This is more a personal thing than a cultural thing, but many romantic movies bother me.
why ?
I might make some time to throw together a list.  What do you like, and what are you looking for, thatgui?
The idea for this thread was, to "collect" weird encounters of the movie kind board members recently had, not really a "tipp" list.
Talking of Takashi Miikei, I think I've only seen Audition of his films. And I found that weird enough to not seek out any more.
same here

Not really sure, since it isn't all of them.  I guess some of them seem really artificial to the point that I can't play along with their fantasy world, yet I love a lot of science fiction.

Whatever the reason, I guess I am lucky that no family or friends like these movies.

Well, yeah, I guess that might be part of it for me too.  Also, those films sometimes involve marriage, which I am not a supporter of.  I don't want to get into that here because it gets a bit complicated.

Funny thing is I am married...

Also, those films sometimes involve marriage, which I am not a supporter of.  I don't want to get into that here because it gets a bit complicated.

Funny thing is I am married...
That's indeed weird :D

Back