Wayland on pandora

bzar

A Commando
Website
Visit site
Ubuntu is apparently moving from X.org to Wayland as its primary display server, so I guess it's matured enough for production use. It seems like a nice fit for pandora with the slimmed down X server and simpler compositing. Judging by Shuttleworth's blog post it also supports GLES, so it shouldn't be too hard to port. I have to admit though, I have only cursory knowledge of wayland, and a part of why I started this topic is to learn more (I've read the documentation from the site) and hear opinions about it in general.

Thoughts?

Not going to happen until either the graphics driver goes open-source, or Wayland becomes important enough for the closed-source driver to support it.

When Canonical says they support something in their next release that is what they mean, supporting it, they won't do a switchover yet. Before you see Wayland used by default it will work really well in an Ubuntu installation, so I'm bet it is not used by default for 11-23 months. Canonical is pretty big so this is good news for Wayland and even good for news for X.org, developers in both projects will work harder to get the biggest install base of F/OSS software on their side.

Bottom line I bet we don't use Wayland before the Pandora2 if we use it. Ti will look into Wayland also, which might get us the software for their platform.

Don't forget Nokia/Intel want to use wayland as well in Meego

If Nokia demands drivers for omap powered cellphones, it might happen sooner then you think

Don't forget Nokia/Intel want to use wayland as well in Meego

If Nokia demands drivers for omap powered cellphones, it might happen sooner then you think

Of course Intel wants MeeGo for its Atom-based netbooks (which use Clutter, same as Ubuntu Unity), which would have no trouble with Wayland.

How much Nokia wants Wayland - we don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's Kristian Høgsberg's git-branch of Qt - he's guy who's created Wayland!

He works for Red Hat, so try again ;)
You are right, but then have a look at the commits... There are some trolls at nokia.com commiting here and as they are commiting with their work email I guess Nokia is paying them for that...

The fact tht the mainline kernel git tree is owned by Linus has never hold IBM committing some patches there :D

So try again ;) ;D

You are right, but then have a look at the commits... There are some trolls at nokia.com commiting here and as they are commiting with their work email I guess Nokia is paying them for that...

Nope, I don't see any. All of them seem to be from the upstream Qt branches. The only committers I see are Jesse Barnes of Intel (who seems to have done most of the work) and Kristian Høgsberg.

Try and show me single commit by a person from Nokia that has anything to do specifically with Wayland. :p

When Canonical says they support something in their next release that is what they mean, supporting it, they won't do a switchover yet. Before you see Wayland used by default it will work really well in an Ubuntu installation, so I'm bet it is not used by default for 11-23 months. Canonical is pretty big so this is good news for Wayland and even good for news for X.org, developers in both projects will work harder to get the biggest install base of F/OSS software on their side.

Bottom line I bet we don't use Wayland before the Pandora2 if we use it. Ti will look into Wayland also, which might get us the software for their platform.

Well Wayland is mostly developed by X.org developers, so you won't see really any "competition". More like Wayland = tearing-free, lightweight server, X = Network transparent server, with other stuff.

Back