Waternet Released.

ah damn a bug, will have to investigate it try to reproduce it :)

btw my website shoul be reachable by now :) but noth everything i said is in ure test version (ure test version is one from yesterday, my current build has all the things i mentioned above) if u haven't started downloading yet i can update it if u like, the size should be smaller as well if i leave out the music and i noticed it included to many graphics also

edit:

i see what u mean, i have reproduced the bug, problem is this won't be easy to fix lol :) damn it will have to think about this one, since basicly i check if all tiles are connected somehow i have for each side a boolean value true or false which defines an open end or not. what i do with checking for a level completed is seeing if all sides equal the one besides it doesn't matter if it's true or false . (opening or no opening). i'm on it :D

k i have an idea to fix it not sure if it'll work :x but i'm goana try it out hehe

Oh in ure test version there is another small bug which i have fixed already :)

So, download worked. Yes, it seems, that I had the older version, but the custom GFX are working and it looks nice, this is what I had in mind. I will improve my background and check the tiles again. there are some brightness-mismatches here and there.
Oh, yes I was wondering why so much graphics included in the gfx-folder. :lol:

in the custom-tile-sets, there are som double tiles, I think these are the start-points that can be modified? If true, please mark the tiles so I can se what tile is what. :)

Upload your new game-version if you feel ready. I think I will try to fix my skin a little bit, could be taken a while. Stay tuned. :)

oh yeah sorry these are the startpoints :
Tiles 1 - 10 and so is the last tile (the rightmost cross) when counting from left to right
This last start tile is sitting there alone because at first i forgot to implement the crosses during development so it's tile has another number in the playfield so i had to change it's position as well in the tile image. sorry about that but this can't be changed :)

and about the graphics the directories 1 and 2 can be deleted, i had them in my graphics directory because they were backups of previous versions of the graphics. sorry about that

Btw i fixed the bug with level 5 sliding. i just check now if there is a line where there isn't a single open entrance and it works :) (and i check for the columns as well) so that's fixed.

another BTW feel free to change the credits text's and include ure name when u create a skin included those on purpose as skinable just for that reason, so u could include your name etc in the credits as well

i'll send u a pm with the link to the executable file only, since that's the only thing that has changed :)
to save u some time ;)

Ok, checked. Now I know how your Tile-set is working. But start-tiles are always filled, right? Do the empty start-tiles in the unfilled tileset have a function? ^^"

Oh, and now I can turn tiles in booth directions, nice. But you should switch the buttons: B for clockwise and A for counter clockwise. Try it, it "feels" much better this way. :)
The Idea to start the cursor at the start-tile is good to. i like it.

Here are my version of the Aquaeduct-Skin Background. Try it out, its brighter but even fit's with the white text:

Besides: If possible, I use 256-Color png's. It's not always an good option, but it can save space and can improve FPS to. :)
I run Waternet at 133MHz at 30FPS - nice. (FPS-Counter in a Puzzle Game, really Cool! :lol: )

fusion_power said:
Ok, checked. Now I know how your Tile-set is working. But start-tiles are always filled, right? Do the empty start-tiles in the unfilled tileset have a function? ^^"
actually they do but u can't see it I still draw them underneath the filled ones, it's because of the way i draw the connected tiles. and how my tiles are numbered , i could leave them out but then u still would have such big image for the empty tiles because the tiles positions's can't change and have to be identical to the connected tiles ones and vice versa. I've i'd start over with waternet i could fix this but i'm not up on doing that hehe :)

but indeed when ure skinning u could leave those spots empty since they are basicly never seen on the screen. but they have to exists in the tileset image doesn't matter what they are just a cross just empty purple (255,0,255) or even some text. (u could for example place some text copyright message in ure tileset on the position of empty the start tiles since u won't see em anyway :).

I just copied them over anyway with my graphics hehe:)
fusion_power said:
Oh, and now I can turn tiles in booth directions, nice. But you should switch the buttons: B for clockwise and A for counter clockwise. Try it, it "feels" much better this way. :)
It's changed :)

fusion_power said:
Here are my version of the Aquaeduct-Skin Background. Try it out, its brighter but even fit's with the white

Indeed it does look better now, before u saw a diffrence between the background and tiles :)

Oh yeah i forgot something, i'll make the color customizeable as well so it doesn't have to be white. it'll be a simple textfile where u can set the RGB values and i'll make it so that each skin can have a diffrent Text Color.
Will do this now (edit : it's done now)

fusion_power said:
Besides: If possible, I use 256-Color png's. It's not always an good option, but it can save space and can improve FPS to. :)
I run Waternet at 133MHz at 30FPS - nice. (FPS-Counter in a Puzzle Game, really Cool! :lol: )
hehe yeah but fps is good as it is not ? ;) oh yeah the fps counter is just for testing purposes hehe i'll leave it out when i rerelease the game :)

edit:
I now have a windows version working as well :)
at first i used the rotozoom function to double the screensize but this was slow as hell so now i just changed the game somewhat so that i can specify a screensize multiplier. only thing that needs doing is then is changing the graphics to the right size: i just used a pixel resize since when u double the screen size or triplle it doesn't affect the quality since the pixels are just doubled or tripled in the images :)

hmm actually i have another idea i don't have to resize the graphics manually i can do it when the game loads the graphics and resize them then :D so i can have a setting in a ini file to define the screensize :D and on the gp2x i just skip the zooming (since screensizemultiplier is 1) hell yeah goana do that now :D

edit 2:
cool the windows version can now be any screensize (320x240 multiplied by a factor), the graphics are resized and i'm goana see how long it takes to smooth them as well. This is only done when u load the graphics or when the u change skins. cool he :)

edit3:
smoothing doesn't work cause colorkeying gets messed up then, and i had to write my own scaler damn it, zoomsurface/rotozoomsurface, shifts the image in certain occasions

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows Version could be useful, so my buddy without GP2X can play the game and enjoy my graphics :lol:
But don't destroy the GP2X version with scaling, zooming/blurring... This happend with Pipes and somehow it's really messy at the moment since the Tilesize changes with the grid-size. ^^"

Oh, I had the sliding bug again, with the last exe-version you gave me. Could solve a level where not all Tiles were floated. No problem for me because I don't play the sliding mode much, only for gfx testing. But maybe some pro's like this mode more.

And try your game with other MHz settings than 200 on GP2X. :) Ingame, everything works perfect, it doesn't matter if the GP2X has 133 MHz. The only Thing where you notice the Clockspeed are the fading-effects in Menu and the Congratulations-Animation. Maybe these could be made independent of Clock-Speed (somehow? )

fusion_power said:
Windows Version could be useful, so my buddy without GP2X can play the game and enjoy my graphics :lol:
But don't destroy the GP2X version with scaling, zooming/blurring... This happend with Pipes and somehow it's really messy at the moment since the Tilesize changes with the grid-size. ^^"

Oh, I had the sliding bug again, with the last exe-version you gave me. Could solve a level where not all Tiles were floated. No problem for me because I don't play the sliding mode much, only for gfx testing. But maybe some pro's like this mode more.

And try your game with other MHz settings than 200 on GP2X. :) Ingame, everything works perfect, it doesn't matter if the GP2X has 133 MHz. The only Thing where you notice the Clockspeed are the fading-effects in Menu and the Congratulations-Animation. Maybe these could be made independent of Clock-Speed (somehow? )
don't worry, it still looks good because i just do a pixel resize by an integer factor so the screen size gets either doubled or triplied or quadrippled etc so that the tiles always match the orginal one. and it's only for the windows release gp2x doesn't have any scaling :)

was it on the same level in sliding mode ? if not what was ure end situation like now ? cause i really like to get that bug squashed, can u create a level in the level editor with the end situation like it was in the sliding levels ? i really thought i had it fixed. it's fixed for level 5 at least but i dunno about other levels.
i can't think of a situation where it happens again.

was it like this again :
bug.jpg

ah damn it i think i know when it happens lemme try out a level:
bug1.jpg

jup this one gives u a level completed message (btw this image is from the windows version ran with a scale factor 2. the scale factor is variable, u can enter it as a parameter at startup in case u have a bigger screen by default on windows it runs at 640x480 so scalefactor 2. gp2x runs at scale factor 1 (no scaling happens then, the scaling function isn't even called cause i check if scalefactor is set to 1 or not and if it is the function isn't called). so basicly this game could still be running at high resolutions in the future :)

Basicly the bug is this, if u made waternet that is somehow connected to each other and the other tiles which are not connected form a loop or another valid net the levels gets seen as completed. i have to detect the gap between these 2 waternets and i'm really clueless on how to do that hehe , i know the solution but basicly can't write it in code :(
damn it will have to think about this one as well again hehe

edit:

OH CRAP FFS !
i'm seeking it way to far again i basicly know which tiles are connected and which not i just have to check if all tiles are connected or not and this is very simple LOL this is the 2nd time with this game that i go seek something way to far off :)

about the downclocking, i never touch my cpu speed's cause i don't trust it :) so i basicly see that it runs correctly on my gp2x at default clockspeed.
The fading is a problem doh, cause the gp2x is using all it's cpu power to show them, the level completed and levels finished messages however they can be ran even faster so if i know how to read what cpu speed the gp2x is running at i could modify the timedelay on it so that it runs faster, except for the fadings :/

Edit:
Bug seems to be fixed

i know count the connected tiles and the not connected tiles if the connected tiles amount isn't equal to the amount of tiles in the level the level can't be completed. That should fix those nasty level completed bugs for good.

i could have done this sooner, but i just didn't see it. U know sometimes u go looking for simple things in far away places while it's just under ure nose: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it was exactly like this pic from the 5. level. :) I had downloaded your newest executable and I could set this tile position again (after 10 Minutes try - I'm really bad in this mode! :lol: ) and the level didn't finish. So it's fixed now. Thank good that I struggled over this bug, like I sayed before, i usualy don't play sliding mode.
Funny that such a tiny little game can keep you so busy :lol:

By the way, the windowed version looks nice, I think I should give it to my buddy, but he can wait for a complete new version, he's blessed with DSL so you could pack the whole bunch of game in the Win-Version if you release a "official" new version. :)

If you want to easy over/underclock your GP2X just use Gmenu2X. ;) Everyone should use it, praise it! :lol:

Oh, the current font on GP2X still looks a little bit unclear, especially the numbers. (Looks really better in the Win-Version :) ) And some words are cut if they are to long, maybe a line break could help, so longer messages like " Random Medium" fit. And the best thing would be an "outlined" font, so the letters could be 2 colored and always fit in dark and bright backgrounds - and they would be thicker.

If Waternet someday have more skins, from other users, skin selection should be possible with R trigger to, so skins can be switched for- and backward. :)

Oh, but I'm very satisfied with the game. It makes fun and finaly I have a matching "home" for my brixx-skin. :)

Back