Warzone 2100 port

Great guys!

This is a really good game and I like to play in on the Pandora.

It is relatively slow, but well, maybe this is one of the first games, that will run fine on a 1ghz Pandora.

Edit:

It seems to be cpulimited, as it is quite playable at 1ghz.

Turning off music helps a bit, but sound still stutters from time to time.

Some bugs:

- Mousecursor is not visible and if you want to build stuff, it is not easy to set it where you want.

- videos are missing and I can't find a way to view the missionobjectives.

- sometimes the screen gets overlayed with blue until you click with the touchscreen again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this is a great addition! This is a really nice game, I like the endless vehicle building combinations, and I remember how nice it was to reach the point where you can build airplanes...

Any chance this can be made to run smoothly at, say, 800 MHz? If the CPU is the bottleneck, then I hope it's not the AI algorithms, because then it will really slow down when you reach big army sizes and big maps with lots of enemies.

- Mousecursor is not visible and if you want to build stuff, it is not easy to set it where you want.
You'll need to edit the config file directly, sorry, I thought I'd set it as default.In pandora/appdata/wz2100/.warzone2100-2.3/ open the file config and change the line ColouredCursor=0 to ColouredCursor=1.
- videos are missing and I can't find a way to view the mission objectives.
The videos are distributed separately, you can get them from www.wz2100.net. I thought it'd see the necessary file if you put it in pandora/appdata/wz2100/ but it doesn't. It plays them a bit slow - even the lowest res, because it updates a texture with for frame. I'll try and get it sorted out soon.Hmm, it's supposed to print the details in the Intelligence Display but it's just showing a blank box and flagging an error - I never tested that, will look into it.
- sometimes the screen gets overlayed with blue until you click with the touchscreen again.
I think its to do with the text is being rendered too high up, the top line gets cut off and the background box wraps around to the bottom. I keep forgetting to look into it.

Update:

- Mouse cursor should now be forced to software coloured. I hadn't changed all the places where it could try to default back to a hardware cursor. Instead of what I wrote above about manually editing the config, you can do it from the "Options" menu. If the cursor isn't visible on the menu, touch "Options", "Mouse Options" and then "Coloured Cursors", this wants to be "On" - in the new update if you try changing it it will say "On (forced)". You might have to quit and restart to get the cursor.

- Videos do work, although with quite a bit of frame-skip. Download sequence.wz (low quality) from www.wz2100.net and copy it into the pandora/appdata/wz2100/.warzone2100-2.3/ directory of your SD card.

- Text positioning fixed. Fonts were being rendered higher than they should causing text in the Intelligence Display to not appear, and the blue box covering the screen.

- New option in Video Options - FSAA. It can be set to 1 (Off), 2x, or 4x. You'll need to quit and re-start warzone for this to take effect. This replaces the screen size option since it's fixed on the Pandora. Also you can't change from Fullscreen to Windowed.

I've uploaded the source code to the same place as before paeryn.myby.co.uk/pandora/warzone2100src.tar.bz2 with the same requirements (i.e. sebt3's full source download). Hopefully Sebt3 will update the repo with the pnd soon.

Sebt3 to the rescue :)
Nope, you read this story wrong : Paeryn came at our rescue here.

Update:

- Mouse cursor should now be forced to software coloured. I hadn't changed all the places where it could try to default back to a hardware cursor. Instead of what I wrote above about manually editing the config, you can do it from the "Options" menu. If the cursor isn't visible on the menu, touch "Options", "Mouse Options" and then "Coloured Cursors", this wants to be "On" - in the new update if you try changing it it will say "On (forced)". You might have to quit and restart to get the cursor.

- Videos do work, although with quite a bit of frame-skip. Download sequence.wz (low quality) from www.wz2100.net and copy it into the pandora/appdata/wz2100/.warzone2100-2.3/ directory of your SD card.

- Text positioning fixed. Fonts were being rendered higher than they should causing text in the Intelligence Display to not appear, and the blue box covering the screen.

- New option in Video Options - FSAA. It can be set to 1 (Off), 2x, or 4x. You'll need to quit and re-start warzone for this to take effect. This replaces the screen size option since it's fixed on the Pandora. Also you can't change from Fullscreen to Windowed.
Awesome !

I re-enabled the text-rotation feature to finish this port.

Thanks man, you saved this port.

Brilliant!

Three things left:

- sometimes the blue box still overlays the screen, but not as often as before.

- the missionbriefings still are not available as text.

- sometimes there is an error about scripts or something on the top of the screen. I can't really read it.

Brilliant!

Three things left:

- sometimes the blue box still overlays the screen, but not as often as before.
I've not seen it happen since myself but I'll look into it (I haven't played much) - is there any specific time it happens?

- the mission briefings still are not available as text.
It's showing for me. Click on the world map icon, then on the i button. After showing the video (if you have them) the mission objective should be shown.

- sometimes there is an error about scripts or something on the top of the screen. I can't really read it.
I know I saw one on the first mission - the first time you open the research window. It's trying to draw an image with an invalid id. It seems to happen when it creates the form, but I didn't notice it affecting the game. It's on my to-do list.

All error logs are saved by default (I'll have to limit it in the next update as it creates 2 files every time time you play) and can be found in pandora/appdata/wz2100/.warzone-2.3/log/

There's also a graphical glitch in that ground tiles that have water edges are drawn white where the water is supposed to be shallow tile is above water. It's fixed ready for the next update.

After playing a bit more, there are scripting errors that are on the pc side too. If you start the tutorial then quit it and start playing any other mode you'll get an error message telling you the the tutorial is turned on. I've not seen any adverse effects from these errors yet though.

I have just tried this game, and it "doesn't work" for me... or at least seems to work with the LID CLOSED ONLY !!! :blink:

I have SZ Beta 2, and it seems to freeze during the loading screen... but if I close the lid, the music play again !! So I open the lid, I can see the menu and the pointer working for 1/2 seconds, and then all things stop to work (music/menu animation/pointer), but if I close the lid AGAIN all start to work... so I open it and after 1 second all freezes...

I can do this forever... with lid closed work, with lid open freezes...

Is this something known ?

Is there anything I can do to get this to run a bit better on a CC 256mb Pandora?

I have swap enabled... I even bought a new class 10 SD card to put the swap on, hoping it might help a bit.

I don't mind the speed... But the choppy audio is really hard to live with as most often I can't hear whatever's being said when there's a bit of shooting going on.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Launch from minimenu instead of Xfce (if it's not already the case).

Thanks! I didn't even think of that... I will test later and report back if there's any noticeable improvement.

Edit: Ok, at present I'm unable to test this as the pnd isn't showing up in minimenu. If I have a look at it in thunar it doesn't have the same icon as the other pnd's... It looks like a text file. I'm assuming not a perfect download, but it shows up on the desktop and runs fine under xfce.

I'm not about to redownload the file right now as it was a large file for me concidering both the cost of my data and the slow internet connection I have...

Is there a way to make a shortcut that when run will automatically switch GUI and run the pnd?

Launch from minimenu instead of Xfce (if it's not already the case).

Thanks! I didn't even think of that... I will test later and report back if there's any noticeable improvement.
Running it from minimenu doesn't make any (noticeable) difference.

Edit: Ok, at present I'm unable to test this as the pnd isn't showing up in minimenu. If I have a look at it in thunar it doesn't have the same icon as the other pnd's... It looks like a text file. I'm assuming not a perfect download, but it shows up on the desktop and runs fine under xfce.

I'm not about to redownload the file right now as it was a large file for me concidering both the cost of my data and the slow internet connection I have...

Is there a way to make a shortcut that when run will automatically switch GUI and run the pnd?
It appears fine in minimenu here. My attempts at getting a script to quit xfce and run a pnd didn't work, sorry.

Paeryn, you are totally the man for getting this working on Pandora. My thumb-twiddling-whilst-waiting-for-1GHz-Pandora just became more frantic.

Can anyone post video of this on the 1 GHz Pandora? I seem to have a terrible time running this on my CC pandora

Back