Warzone 2100

Mentor

Still Fresh
I just found one of my favourite games, Warzone 2100, on the net, Pumpkin released the source and a team ported it to openGL and SDL for Linux, if the second cpu could be coaxed to pretend to be a 3D Ogl style GPU (RTS doesn`t need anything like 60fps so this should be possible) then it would be possible to port Warzone to the GP2X and you have a single/multiplayer commercial standard rts available for the GP2X and the possibility that someone could even add other games to the basic engine, for example it wouldn`t be too hard to make a CannoFodder-alike game using the Warzone engine (imo), any takers?

Warzone Webpage

Mentor.

Mentor posted on Dec 11 2005 at 01:30 PM said:
if the second cpu could be coaxed to pretend to be a 3D Ogl style GPU

Unfortunately, that's years of work (way, way more than the game would ever be). The OpenGL standard is enormous and I don't think existing software OpenGL managers (like Mesa) are easily portable to the GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
well...I was just thinking there is a miniGL port already running on one cpu at a reasonable speed, and SDL is already on the system, and thats what you would need to run Warzone, it might be slow but I recall the system specs where not that high for warzone anyway (Pentium 166 ,16 Megs Ram ,30 Megs of disk and no 3D acceleration was minimum spec), most of the models where not that exotic when it came to polygon count and those that where could be simplified maybe?, a playstation emulated version would be much slower than a direct port I would have thought.

Mentor.

whooo hooo! :D , I`m getting a warm feeling all over, hang on...just my crutch...oh! :eek: (peed meself) :lol:, seriously, I will keep an eye on that one, I am also interested in TA being mentioned in that thread, I didn`t know that was open source, used to play that for days on end :) , Kingdoms was the big letdown to me, being a SciFi buff maybe, but it just wasn`t the same :(

:p

Mentor.

Mentor posted on Dec 16 2005 at 07:14 AM said:
whooo hooo!  :D , I`m getting a warm feeling all over, hang on...just my crutch...oh!  :eek: (peed meself) :lol:, seriously, I will keep an eye on that one, I am also interested in TA being mentioned in that thread, I didn`t know that was open source, used to play that for days on end :) , Kingdoms was the big letdown to me, being a SciFi buff maybe, but it just wasn`t the same  :(

From a cursory google, it appears that only some of the tools for Total Annihilation are open source. The game code itself is not.

The game linked in that thread (TA Spring) is an open-source project attempting to recreate the game using modern technology -- which means that not only is it years away from replicating the original retail release, but it definitely won't run on the GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back