Want To Buy One, But A Few Questions.

Slin

Still Fresh
Hey guys I recently heard about the GP2x it sounds like it rocks.

First of all, I might as well put that one of the reasons why I want it is to watch videos. I enjoy watching sports but frequently find myself not able to watch the games because I am stuck at school and other such things.

I was originally going to buy a video player but I also like playing games, thats when I found out about the gp2x.

The psp core though recently dropped in price, making me turn my head that direction a little bit.

I enjoy old games and I was wondering how well the emulators really work, I would love to play games for the super nintendo on the go.

The problem that I sort of have is the psp is now a little cheaper i believe (not much though) I do not need a comparison, I think I have read enough to understand what the psp can do.

But I am not positive how well the gp2x emulates or how many homebrew games are on it. I was just wondering if any of you could help me a little on my choice (I really want to be talked into the gp2x) Do all of the emulators fully work besides the Playstation one? I am afraid that because of overclocking I may end up with a gp2x that can barely run a few SNES or Genesis games.

Thanks

Hi, and welcome!
There was a worth-reading thread about GP2X vs. PSP, can't find it right now, but I think you should get a GP2X.
Most of the emulators are really better, and the community is very nice!

A very good thread to look at http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...=35932&st=0

Genesis emulators are great on this device. No overclock required. Remember that all GP2X's overclock to 240 at least so it doesn't matter if you need to overclock a little bit.

SNES is very good also, but a bit of overclocking required for decent speed, especially in more complex games. Only out of the question games are the SuperFX games which there aren't many of.

I think you'll love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
imhotep said:
A very good thread to look at http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...=35932&st=0

Genesis emulators are great on this device. No overclock required. Remember that all GP2X's overclock to 240 at least so it doesn't matter if you need to overclock a little bit.

SNES is very good also, but a bit of overclocking required for decent speed, especially in more complex games. Only out of the question games are the SuperFX games which there aren't many of.

I think you'll love it.

That's the thread I was talking about. Most of the games does not use transparencies a lot, so you can have them off and use 200MHz, lots of stuff run fullspeed then :)

Allright, thanks guys. no superfx means no starfox right? Just making sure I understand that (its not a must have at all for me though)

I was also wondering about the homebrew scene, I was just wondering if there were any really good free games (by really good I mean more then just a fun small play, if you get what I mean, if you don't just ask, I might be able to word it better)

Anyway I like how nice the community seems, in all honesty I used to be into programming some, the problem is going from the jump of a text based game to a graphical game can be annoying (especially on a pc) and I never made that jump. I heard that gp2x is easy to program for and from what I can tell this is a nice community.

So I was just wondering, do you think someone like me, in high school, might have a chance at developing for the gp2x?

edit: Oh and I forgot to ask, I would enjoy reading e-books on the thing (it is not a necesity) I have heard that the text viewer on the gp2x is nothing more than that, just a text view. Are there any programs for it that would allow me to read e-books?

Slin said:
Allright, thanks guys. no superfx means no starfox right? Just making sure I understand that (its not a must have at all for me though)
Listed SuperFX games are here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_fx

Really good free homebrew games? Vectar was freeware before it became commercial and was really good even then. Still available from file archive. Tile Match is very popular too, but I'm not a homebrew afficianado.

Slin said:
do you think someone like me, in high school, might have a chance at developing for the gp2x?

edit: Oh and I forgot to ask, I would enjoy reading e-books on the thing (it is not a necesity) I have heard that the text viewer on the gp2x is nothing more than that, just a text view. Are there any programs for it that would allow me to read e-books?
Anyone can develop for this thing as far as I know and the community is very supportive of people giving it a go. People will try out your stuff and give you friendly (usually) suggestions!

There have been some new homebrew text reader programs recently released, but I forgot what they were called. I think the reaction was pretty positive.

Slin said:
Are there any programs for it that would allow me to read e-books?
I found out about a PDF reader the other day, called GP2Xpdf. I don't have a GP2X yet either, but when you get yours it might be worthwhile taking a look at it.

Greader and Xreader are great for basic text file. For pdf I use Qtopia with the text only option because wgraphical pdf looks badly streched on a 320x240 screen otherwise you can try pdfview. Don't hesitate to buy a gp2x, this is my best investment lately!

Aries said:
Greader and Xreader are great for basic text file. For pdf I use Qtopia with the text only option because wgraphical pdf looks badly streched on a 320x240 screen otherwise you can try pdfview. Don't hesitate to buy a gp2x, this is my best investment lately!
GP2Xpdf is at least as fast as Qtopia's PDF reader most of the time and doesn't require you to load the entire set of background applications Qtopia has.

Wow thanks for all of the replys guys, I gotta admit you talked me into it.

You'll probably see me back in a few months developing software once I buy one.

One last quesetion: I have heard something about a few speculations on attaching a wireless internet card and running a browser from the gp2x (or at least I heard something about that) now I honestly don't care all that much, I am just a little curious about the subject, is it possible?

Slin said:
But I am not positive how well the gp2x emulates or how many homebrew games are on it. I was just wondering if any of you could help me a little on my choice (I really want to be talked into the gp2x) Do all of the emulators fully work besides the Playstation one? I am afraid that because of overclocking I may end up with a gp2x that can barely run a few SNES or Genesis games.

Thanks

Most of the older systems run well. below is a list of the ones that you will need alot of overclock and/or are not full speed.

PC-Engine, SNES, GBA, PSX, newer MAME games (final fight etc.), Atari 7800, Amiga.

SNES (with transparencies off) and GBA work fine for me for the most part. Fire Emblem and Pokemon Leaf Green are perfect!

Slin said:
*snip*

I really like vtext, It's got a retro look with that green-on-black background text, And it actually wraps text, Unlike the built in 'e-book' reader.
Also, Xreader is good, Probably better if you intend to read longer books, As the text looks really good.

Regards,
-Arch

Glad to hear your enthusiasm about this wonderful device. The only caution I'd give you is to do some video conversion before purchasing, to make sure the time and effort it requires is reasonable for your situation.

dont underestimate the speed of the snes emu
its fine, i've only had noticeable problems with 2 games, rest have played perfectly with no overclock
i just love to play the new cps2 (plays marvel vs capcom, at full speed)
and metal slugs, as well as all megadrive games at 100% speed
buy 1, psp blow's

freddykreuger666 said:
dont underestimate the speed of the snes emu
its fine, i've only had noticeable problems with 2 games, rest have played perfectly with no overclock
Well yeah if you shut off all of the effects and sound you can get it to run fullspeed most off the time without overclock. Kind of looks like crap though.

You do need to overclock quite high if you actually turn on the features that make the SNES look and sound like a SNES (transparencies, sound, rasters).

So SNES with effects, need as much OC as you can give, stripped down it is fullspeed with little or no OC.

I run DrPocketSNES with sound, effects, and FS2 at 250Mhz and it runs great. Every game I throw at it runs very nice and is a lot of fun to play. Besides, SNES isn't everything, not when original GP2X games, ports of PC classics, Genesis, NeoGeo, and C64 are around :)

Back