Wallpapers And Other Graphics Wanted!

Jourdy288 said:
For copyright reasons I had to redo a couple, here's the results:
I also threw in a couple new ones.
If I may make a suggestion: unless the image already has a lot of "noise" in it, don't save them as .jpg, a lot of compression artefacts show up in the results. If you do want to use that file format, set the quality rating higher. .png doesn't get those blocky, off-color sections and nowadays the filesizes are sane. I think it would be best for those designs that have large elements but few colors, like big text on a solid field.
Also, it's best to use either a lot of frames in a .gif animation or not do an animation at all. Smooth motions or just plain static images are a lot more impressive than jumpy animations.
As to colors, red+blue just doesn't really work very well, the two together can look muddy. Red and green or orange and blue are better combinations.

Last edited by a moderator:
k16xhi.png

GizmoTheGreen said:
I sure want it :)

the current one is like... i dunno, too "toony" can't really find it, um, you know, hawt.

Hmmm... well "hawt" isn't my sole aim here, a toony quality is intended... and I'm not sure how I can do more "anime" style and not be toony - unless you mean the "Western" influence on the figure? I can - possibly - do a more Eastern version, time permissing, but I'm unlikely to bother striving for much more reality when rendering humans. For "hawt" I have the wife :)

Ta,

GizmoTheGreen said:
I sure want it :)

the current one is like... i dunno, too "toony" can't really find it, um, you know, hawt.
So, your solution to it being too toony is to give her disproportionate eyes, smooth skin, blended shadows, and no nose? :p
Monk, that secondthird one is definitely much better. I don't get the feeling she's going to lean out of my screen and bite me anymore. :D
Work a little more with the shadows so their not so deep around her cheekbones, and I think you can call it a wrap. As they are now, it kinda looks like she hasn't slept in days.
Of course, I suspect I will look much the same the week after I receive my Pandora, so I can't really blame her :p

edit: second one was glowy, third one is what I meant.

WizardStan said:
Monk, that secondthird one is definitely much better. I don't get the feeling she's going to lean out of my screen and bite me anymore. :D
Work a little more with the shadows so their not so deep around her cheekbones, and I think you can call it a wrap. As they are now, it kinda looks like she hasn't slept in days.
Of course, I suspect I will look much the same the week after I receive my Pandora, so I can't really blame her :p

edit: second one was glowy, third one is what I meant.

You're sort of right - the second one is just the first one with more work done on it, the "third" one is the second image WIP#1. I kinda like the deep shadows as that's what I imagine she'd look like if she was lit almost/only by the Pandora screen. Here's were I intended to head all along with the "second" (third) image though, more-or-less.

ml4gef.png

Some more ambient lighting to reduce the shadows is certainly a possibility, but it would also tend to bring the creature in the background out a bit more than I'd want, so I'd have to do some directional lighting pointed at her face alone ideally and... it starts getting a bit more complicated than I was hoping for. However, as with a more "Eastern" variant, it remains a possiblity for the future :)

Ta,

GunPei2X said:
traylorpark, I've always loved those designs.

And I've always loved you GunPei :)

I've gotta thank Tobs for emailing me about this thread.

torpor said:
good lord, 4 6-core AMD's? I have a single 4-core AMD in my machine, I'd love to upgrade to a 6-core .. wonder if I can .. so confused with all this Phenom2 socket stuff ..

Yes. And, i just checked, I have 2 of them... epic render farm here we go

dflemstr said:
masterofcomputers said:
dflemstr said:
I use Blender + LuxRender, but to start with it might be good to just stick to Blender.

There aren't really that many software stacks that support OpenCL/Cuda yet, but for 3D rendering, you don't need that necessarily; many renderers use normal graphics shaders to accelerate rendering and that's usually enough.

BTW, I use a Q6600 too, and I'll tell you that it usually isn't enough to have just one CPU. Using LuxRender, I connect to a network of 5 other PCs to split up the rendering for me, and my renders can still take up to 15 hours sometimes.

Oh my... Maybe thats what i should use the server in my basement for... It has 4 of those 6core AMDs in it. I hope the overclock i have helps. Its sitting at 5GHz right now..
What are the specs on the other PCs?
1x whatever my lean gateway server has (don't remember, but should be Core2 Duo... something)
2x Core2 Duos at 3.0 GHz
2x Pentium 4's at 3.2 GHz (yeah, lol. I use them for heating my house ;) )
I'm not a professional 3D artist, nor do I render stuff very often, so a dedicated farm would be wasteful (us Swedes are obliged to think about the environment...). I just take the PCs lying around my house and connect them together as needed.

BTW, RAM doesn't matter; you'll never need more than let's say 2GiB of RAM for any rendering, and even then, you're able to swap (since a renderer won't need to access a whole scene at once, ever; it's rendered in portions)

I was thinking ram would help while your modling the image since if heard it can get very complex.
You know, I used to love my P4 space heaters. I have about 10 of them. Maybe i will get to fire them up again! I had my basement at 108 once because of all the equipment.
I have just started playing with blender and i like it. the tutorials are kinda confusing (might also be me a little sleeply :p). If anyone has any good guides for getting started with blender, please post a link!

Thank You

masterofcomputers said:
torpor said:
good lord, 4 6-core AMD's? I have a single 4-core AMD in my machine, I'd love to upgrade to a 6-core .. wonder if I can .. so confused with all this Phenom2 socket stuff ..

LOL yeah, definately a thematic link there.

Oh... and there's nothing like being down on the farm :D

masterofcomputers said:
I was thinking ram would help while your modling the image since if heard it can get very complex.

Complex yes, but usually not THAT complex that there's gigabytes of data floating around while modelling. IMHO you're more likely to need gobloads of RAM either when dealing with textures rather than 3D geometry (and even .JPG files can take up a lot of RAM when in memory and uncompressed) or when dealing with complex depth-mapped shadow setups. If you need a lot of RAM while doing your actual 3D modelling, there's a reasonable chance that you need to spend more time working on how you model!

Ta

(naw)mcx said:
It's to tie in with the Pmenu skin I'm making, but I think it's kinda pretty any way :D

wow I love this, can't wait for the skin too

Monk said:
masterofcomputers said:
torpor said:

LOL yeah, definately a thematic link therer.

Oh... and there's nothing like being down on the farm :D

masterofcomputers said:

Complex yes, but usually not THAT complex that there's gigabytes of data floating around while modelling. IMHO you're more likely to need gobloads of RAM either when dealing with textures rather than 3D geometry (and even .JPG files can take up a lot of RAM when in memory and uncompressed) or when dealing with complex depth-mapped shadow setups. If you need a lot of RAM while doing your actual 3D modelling, there's a reasonable chance that you need to spend more time working on how you model!

Ta

See, I'm already thinking of 2-D image editing. When I make backgrounds, i make them at some un-godly resolution due to having 4 22" monitors it a 2x2 array. Im used to looking at gimp and seeing it say 6-8GB image. My new image size is apx 500 MB so i end up with insane images and files. Thank god 3-D modeling isnt proportional in [Complexity of doing:RAM usage] to 2-D imaging of I would be using all 16GB of RAM.
I have already relized how useful the size of my display is in 3-D modeling. I have a side, front,top, and camera view all open at once (and the online tutorial YAY!).

Back