Wallpapers And Other Graphics Wanted!

Japa said:
here's two versions of one:

<image>
I like the first one best as it's more natural to have some depth of field, also it draws the attention more to the centre - the pandora logo.
But I think adjusting the focus a bit more backwards could help it look even more awesome as now a big part of the Pandora cube is slightly blurred which is distracting and confusing for the viewer.
Having the whole cube (or most parts of it) sharp could look better, imo.

foxblock out

Last edited by a moderator:
masterofcomputers said:
See, I'm already thinking of 2-D image editing. When I make backgrounds, i make them at some un-godly resolution due to having 4 22" monitors it a 2x2 array. Im used to looking at gimp and seeing it say 6-8GB image. My new image size is apx 500 MB so i end up with insane images and files. Thank god 3-D modeling isnt proportional in [Complexity of doing:RAM usage] to 2-D imaging of I would be using all 16GB of RAM.
I have already relized how useful the size of my display is in 3-D modeling. I have a side, front,top, and camera view all open at once (and the online tutorial YAY!).

A second monitor is/can be really helpful too - so you have your 4 views taking up a full monitor with as many tools for manipulating the model/s as possible all displayed on the other monitor. I find those swing-out monitor holding arms to be really convenient for a second monitor that is pretty much only used for graphic work.

As for complexity - 2D images, as used for textures on 3D models for example, certainly can chew up RAM like anything. 3D models themselves however don't eat up RAM at the same kind of rate, even while you're making them, partly because of the completely different nature - it's a bunch of co-ordinates and ways to conenct them. think of it this way - vector drawings vs bitmaps. Vector drawings typically take much less disc/memory space than a bitmap displaying the same image when you have a couple of simple primary colour primitives on a plain background. Let's say a red square and a blue trianlge on an A4 sized image - the vector file can provide sharper, more accurate higher resolution results than the bitmap can, at a lower filesize. As the complexity of the image ramps up, however, the size of the vector file increases while the (uncompressed, consistent resolution) bitmap doesn't*

As the complexity of the image gets closer and closer to that of a photograph, a vector file gets larger and larger until it could actually take more memory/file space than a bitmap would. If, for example, each pixel/dot in each row of pixels is different and unpredictable, the best a vector could do would be to specify a point and colour for each dot - but it would be inefficient for this and take more space than a bitmap which is designed specificlaly for this purpose.

OK - now 3D files are just vector files with that extra component - the 3rd dimension. If a line is specified, instead of holding some data like "Line from X,Y to X1,Y1" you have "Line from X,Y,Z to X1,Y1,Z1". So again, the size of 3D data in memory TENDS to be far less than for bitmaps unless/until you get into some crazy levels of complexity - and I really think that, long before reaching that stage, you'd split the project up into seperate file s(like instead of a model of a city, you'd be doing blocks or even individual buildings to merge put together later on).

Also, don't forget that as in the world of "ordinmary" 2D, compositing is your friend in 3D. When you start using crazy amounts of memory, you split things into seperate jobs that can be spliced together one way or another later, to make rendering times tolerable.

amf66 said:
Cool. I like the second one the best.

Me too - I like the clarity of a sharper image.

So - can I take it that the current mould situation means that unforseeable delays my end, some of which mean I may have better versions of my 2 offerings "soon" but all of which have delayed the other image sI wanted to work on, have given me extra days to get stuff done in? ED? Bueller?

*I am conveniently ignoring file format compression like .jpg compression as a whole other thing, just talking about the raw in-memory vector data and bitmap data in filesize terms here.

Japa said:
here's two versions of one:

The pandora logos here look amazing, but the background looks a bit too clean.

I don't know much about 3d art, but perhaps normal mapped textures would give it a more realistic roughness, and perhaps play with the lighting, to have looser shadows.
There also seems to be some aliasing on the top image, compared with the bottom. Different AA levels?
:)

(naw)mcx said:
I don't use blender btw, although I am trying to learn it.

FFS STOP RESIZING MY IMAGES/COMPRESSING THEM IMAGE HOSTERS.

Did you sit on these before posting. :p
All this 3d muck can't beat a well crafted 2d image.
panground1.png

This topic is mine. Please do not flood this me posts of prase. Take a long hard look at your pathetic attempts so far and step up to the mark.
The bar is higher now but I know you have it in you. Good luck.

Does anyone know of any great blender tutorials? I've looked, but I want to know if there are any other people have used and found useful.

Edit: Looks nice.

Hmm, I just thought of a wallpaper which is a rendered landscape (anyone good with Terragen?) and the Pandora logo as a cloud in the top-right-hand corner of the picture. I'd do it if I had any semblance of an idea how to use Terragen.

LOL! I'd thought of using Vue to create the Pandora text or logo in trees on a landscape.... which is kindof similar (qand probably beyond my reach at this point.... time!).

My, I should be doing something about my current background. Nothing Pandora-like about it, but we don't need a penguin on our Linux desktop either, do we?

EDIT: Lo and behold, artist impression of the Earth being blasted to smithereens by a huge projectile of sorts traveling at near luminal velocity!
4146789894_bf9bec141b_o.png

Clicky if image for some reason doesn't show: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27166788@N08/4146789894/sizes/o/

If you want the full 1920x1200 resolution, I can provide that as well on request.

Vorporeal said:
Hmm, not sure if it beats Xian's contribution from earlier in the thread...
Right! That's you off my Christmas card list for started. :angry:

Xian's lack of talent is not a patch on mine. Ok I admit it. His is that little worser. :lol:

amf66 said:
Does anyone know of any great blender tutorials? I've looked, but I want to know if there are any other people have used and found useful.

Edit: Looks nice.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro
This is the best tutorial Ive seen yet. I'm kinda reading it and also learning by experimenting.
So far, blender isn't as hard as it looks, but, the tutorial helps, so does my ability to learn by experimenting

S-r-ex said:
My, I should be doing something about my current background. Nothing Pandora-like about it, but we don't need a penguin on our Linux desktop either, do we?

EDIT: Lo and behold, artist impression of the Earth being blasted to smithereens by a huge projectile of sorts traveling at near luminal velocity!

Epic Image

If you want the full 1920x1200 resolution, I can provide that as well on request.

I like that one. Could i get full res version for my desktop and laptop?

masterofcomputers said:
S-r-ex said:

Epic Image

I like that one. Could i get full res version for my desktop and laptop?
One point of having http://pandorawalls.dyndns.org is that you can upload images there, and they are automatically resized to all the resolutions you want (provided that you uploaded a large enough image). Pretty neat if I may say so myself.

Sooner or later I will have to stop tinkering with these... but having been playing around with the skin tones the previous set all just seem so...drab :(

xdf6vm.png

2lvmjpu.png

aaaand the first dragon image. I might want to select a different background colour at some stage.

2zg7rra.png

Monk said:
Sooner or later I will have to stop tinkering with these... but having been playing around with the skin tones the previous set all just seem so...drab :(

photo

photo

aaaand the first dragon image. I might want to select a different background colour at some stage.

photo
Id like more dragons :D
and the second girl is nicely made.

Monk, those girls are awesome. They remind me of the 16 bit ads back in the day. The one with her holding the Pandora nude is my favourite but a little to racy for me.

It would be cool if you made her either a chick from the future with silvery cloths or gave her medieval armour with the the hilt of the sword over one of her shoulders like she wears it on her back. The armour would be compliment the arm reaching for her, or it would compliment her I guess. Maybe put a slender green hand reaching for her if she was dressed like someone from the future.

i agree, its nicely made, but im one of those anime/manga fantasts and i just cant get myself to like her, shes too, uhm, disturbingly looking, or "cartoonish", needs more, anime-ish~

like this:
(is there a "spoiler" tag on this forums? would be nice to hide the linky)
nsfw, warning
Removed link

Hmm, I like the way she looks, I think you don't need to change her face at all just put some cloths on her. I'm saying as a alternate version, I'm sure there are tons of users that will like her nude.

Back