Visual Novel Interpreters

God Ginrai

Godmaster
Website
Visit site
I started a topic back in September that didn't really get answered, so I decided to wait until now to ask my question again.

I wanted to know if anyone was planning on, or expressed interest in, porting Onscripter, KiriKiri, and other engines to the Pandora. I would very much like to see these, especially the KiriKiri engine.

Here's the link to the old topic, but it's mostly just people criticizing my signature at the time: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=44011&hl=

And here's the link to KiriKiri's source that closetwam posted: https://sv.kikyou.info/trac/kirikiri/wiki/AboutSubversion

I invite anyone who would like to comment about other Visual Novel interpreters they would like to see ported to the Pandora to request them here.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
weeatrans.png

I don't particularly see what you guys are getting at.

-God Ginrai

Na, I don't blame you though. As much as I kick my own ass for it, I play a few visual novels too (most of the popular indie and fanslated ones, also some of the g-collections h visual novels)

'PoisonedV' said:
Na, I don't blame you though. As much as I kick my own ass for it, I play a few visual novels too (most of the popular indie and fanslated ones, also some of the g-collections h visual novels)
I like a story any way I can get it, whether it be Novels, Ebooks, Webcomics, Visual Novels, Manga, etc.

-God Ginrai

I'd be happy if someone ported one of these engines. Isn't there one for the GP2x already? I seem to remember playing/reading "Narcissu" on it.

'DasFool' said:
I'd be happy if someone ported one of these engines. Isn't there one for the GP2x already? I seem to remember playing/reading "Narcissu" on it.
Yes, that was Onscripter. Narcissu on the 2X was my first visual novel. ;) Porting the KiriKiri engine would allow us to read visual novels like Fate/Stay Night.

-God Ginrai

I wish there was a decent/easier way to make them personally, We had the beginings of a decent engine on the GP32 but it evaporated one day. I understand there are ways to create Onscripter files but I can't make heads or tails of the language.

Say what you like about the content of some of these games but an accessible engine can go a long way to creating or recreating text adventure or point and click style games, which technically seems like a pretty logical choice for a touch screen device.

'Alpha2' said:
I wish there was a decent/easier way to make them personally, We had the beginings of a decent engine on the GP32 but it evaporated one day.
I remember that. It's sad that the developer just kind of disappeared. I was working on a visual novel engine in flash, but never completed it. Maybe I'll think about making a simple one in Python/Pygame. I wonder what the best way to implement the actual story files would be. XML? A simple proprietary format? hmmm

If the question involves the use of XML, the answer is automatically "no". :p

'White Flame said:
If the question involves the use of XML, the answer is automatically "no". :p\

From personal experience, when someone says "let's use XML" they really mean "let's use a custom format which vaguely resembles XML, call it XML, and then bill it as an enterprisey XML application. Slap some VB.NET in there and call it a day."

the engine from the GP32 days was optimal as all you needed was a zipfile with the instructions (and dialog) in a text file along with a folder of images... heck it might not have even been more than just a folder with all that stuff in it.

'WizardStan' said:
'White Flame' said:

From personal experience, when someone says "let's use XML" they really mean "let's use a custom format which vaguely resembles XML, call it XML, and then bill it as an enterprisey XML application. Slap some VB.NET in there and call it a day."
That made my day.

-God Ginrai

'God Ginrai' said:
'WizardStan' said:
'White Flame' said:
From personal experience, when someone says "let's use XML" they really mean "let's use a custom format which vaguely resembles XML, call it XML, and then bill it as an enterprisey XML application. Slap some VB.NET in there and call it a day."That made my day.I guess the quote pertaining to regular expressions could be paraphrased nicely: "You see a problem and you think: 'great, I'll use XML'. Now you have two problems".

It's annoying most of the time, but still has uses. JSON (or it's superset YAML) should be used if at all possible.

I would suggest taking a look ar Ren'Py. It's an open source visual novel engine based on Python.

It's very easy to learn the scripting language for it and it is quite powerful.

'CyruzDraxs' said:
I would suggest taking a look ar Ren'Py. It's an open source visual novel engine based on Python.

Yes, but very few games can be ran using the datafiles with it. Infact, I believe it's solely for games made specifically for it.

'PoisonedV' said:
'CyruzDraxs' said:

Yes, but very few games can be ran using the datafiles with it. Infact, I believe it's solely for games made specifically for it.

Oops, didn't notice he wanted Interpreters, I just thought he was looking for a good engine to develop a visual novel with that could be ported easily. :unsure:

Even if he was the last time I looked at Ren`py it wasn't very accessible to a pytho newbie otherwise I might have tried it. There are quite a few decent engines and tools for building them now but few are truly finished products.

As for interpreters what are the major requirements besides having a linux version or not being dependant on x86? I mean I'd assume that's the two biggest hitches aside from needing it to be open source so that it could be ported at all.

Back