OS Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

christo930

Viking said:
I saw the EEE PC 900 with its 20GB SSD and 8.9" screen and now I want that! It is only 200 more and you can put XP on it!

Whats wrong with me?

PS:I have never been a fan of Linux. Never even bothered to try it, I be leave in "you get what you pay for".
Nothing can be further from the truth. Vista is almost universally hated with about the only people who like are MS fanboys. It's loaded with copy protection and not just of vista, but of music, movies any media. Freebsd is one of the best os's out there and between it and linux pretty much serve the internet. It's more secure than MS, has features users want as opposed to features MS tells you you want. MacOS which is now my favorite OS, is based on freebsd, which is UNIX which has withstood the test of time. MS has basically implemented a "tax" with it's refusal to allow users to install "unsigned" drivers to the 64bit version of Vista Hardware venders have to pay MS for the "quality testing" that allows drivers to become signed and also pushes smaller venders out of the market (those who can't afford to get their drivers signed or can't get MS's attention). It actually gives MS the power to force HW makers out of business. The old addage that you get what you pay for does not apply to OS's or any other software for that matter. I've gotten some awfully good free software for my gp32, my gp2x and my pc and my Mac. And your comparing a fucking laptop to a console. It's like comparing a car to a pickup. Their good for different things.

Chris

PS. It's also funny that you are downing Linux and wanting to buy a laptop that comes with Linux on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
christo930 said:
Vista is almost universally hated with about the only people who like are MS fanboys. It's loaded with copy protection and not just of vista, but of music, movies any media.
Amen.

christo930 said:
Freebsd is one of the best os's out there and between it and linux pretty much serve the internet. It's more secure than MS, has features users want as opposed to features MS tells you you want. MacOS which is now my favorite OS, is based on freebsd, which is UNIX which has withstood the test of time.
FreeBSD, faster kernel. Linux, better hardware support. Darwin is solid on Mac. We're all running Unix here, we're all on the same team.

christo930 said:
MS has basically implemented a "tax" with it's refusal to allow users to install "unsigned" drivers to the 64bit version of Vista Hardware venders have to pay MS for the "quality testing" that allows drivers to become signed and also pushes smaller venders out of the market (those who can't afford to get their drivers signed or can't get MS's attention). It actually gives MS the power to force HW makers out of business. The old addage that you get what you pay for does not apply to OS's or any other software for that matter.
Not to mention that they have effectively stalled the adoption of 64 bit software.

christo930 said:
And your comparing a fucking laptop to a console. It's like comparing a car to a pickup. Their good for different things.
And whats this about "you get what you pay for"?
I could run out and waste money on Vista Ultimate right now, but it wouldn't have a single feature I need on a daily basis. I'd end up paying other companies hundreds of dollars for things it lacks that I get out of the box in Linux. And even then, I'd still be missing a very large piece of functionality.

Or, I could just go out and buy another machine with that money, install Linux for free, get all the features I want, all the software I want, the way I want it.

christo930 said:
Viking said:
I saw the EEE PC 900 with its 20GB SSD and 8.9" screen and now I want that! It is only 200 more and you can put XP on it!

Whats wrong with me?

PS:I have never been a fan of Linux. Never even bothered to try it, I be leave in "you get what you pay for".
Nothing can be further from the truth. Vista is almost universally hated with about the only people who like are MS fanboys. It's loaded with copy protection and not just of vista, but of music, movies any media. Freebsd is one of the best os's out there and between it and linux pretty much serve the internet. It's more secure than MS, has features users want as opposed to features MS tells you you want. MacOS which is now my favorite OS, is based on freebsd, which is UNIX which has withstood the test of time. MS has basically implemented a "tax" with it's refusal to allow users to install "unsigned" drivers to the 64bit version of Vista Hardware venders have to pay MS for the "quality testing" that allows drivers to become signed and also pushes smaller venders out of the market (those who can't afford to get their drivers signed or can't get MS's attention). It actually gives MS the power to force HW makers out of business. The old addage that you get what you pay for does not apply to OS's or any other software for that matter. I've gotten some awfully good free software for my gp32, my gp2x and my pc and my Mac. And your comparing a fucking laptop to a console. It's like comparing a car to a pickup. Their good for different things.

Chris

He was talking about Windows XP, that is much better then vista...

XP is not Vista, but it is no better than many of the free OS's out there either.

I don't think this topic is going anywhere.

Fujitsu's LifeBook P1620 is far better then the Eee, also has three times the price tag. but you get what you pay for right?

I would rather have a pandora than any laptop out right now. Because the pandora is not about price but rather functionality. In the Pandora's product niche there is no competing device. -CB

Sphinxter said:
teggun said:
christo930 said:
It's more secure than MS
Highly debatable.

Sorry, but they settled this once and for all in, "Pwn To Own", and it was osx first loser, windows second loser and Linux left standing unscathed.

I'm pretty sure that the guy who hacked OS X had something pre-prepared that he loaded through a web browser, so it wasn't an entirely fair comparison

Look, let's not get into an OS fight. We all have to accept that each OS has its positives and negatives whether we like it or not, and move on.

I'm not against you guys saying "You might want to think about this OS choice here and there." I'm against you guys saying "Yea, well, you know nothin'. Nothin' I tell you! Let me list the reasons why I think you're dumb:..."

DTH said:
christo930 said:
Viking said:

Whats wrong with me?

Chris

He was talking about Windows XP, that is much better then vista...

I know that, I was simply pointing out what your money would get you right now and that's vista and vista sucks.

Chris

javaJake said:
Look, let's not get into an OS fight. We all have to accept that each OS has its positives and negatives whether we like it or not, and move on.

I'm not against you guys saying "You might want to think about this OS choice here and there." I'm against you guys saying "Yea, well, you know nothin'. Nothin' I tell you! Let me list the reasons why I think you're dumb:..."
I guess an OS war doesn't really belong here, but MS Vista is not just another OS. It's almost inescapable for pc users and has done a lot of damage to how people use their PC's. It also puts MS is a position to really damage the industry and other hardware vendors. If Vista had to stand it's own, it would die, but it doesn't. It comes with new pc's if you like it or not and major hardware vendors are not releasing XP drivers for their hardware and you can't role it back which is something corporate users usually do. It's a mess and MS needs to be broken up like the old telco monopoly.

Chris

teggun said:
Highly debatable.
Actually, it is, unless you count all the piled on crap that is Vista, which might come close to the same level of security out of the box. Most distributions now ship with SELinux or AppArmor installed and TURNED ON- which while Windows has ACLs, its an afterthought and the security is lax in comparison. This is not to say that Linux is invulnerable- unfortunately there's no such beast. But it's a bit more difficult to pwn a Linux box unless you do something stupid than it is to just pwn a Windows machine.

CongoZombie said:
I'm pretty sure that the guy who hacked OS X had something pre-prepared that he loaded through a web browser, so it wasn't an entirely fair comparison
Yeah, it was a Zero-Day he knew about. Thing is, Zero-Day's count. Fooling a user to go there counts.

If you're compromised, you're compromised. The year before the OSX machine was the first one to go,
followed by the Windows one. Ease of use is less of a thing and more of a concept. Some things tagged
as 'ease of use' might make it 'easier' to use a machine, but they're very ill-concieved notions. Look at
the Sony DRM Rootkit fiasco to see proof of an ill-advised, almost impossible to secure feature put to
maximal misuse, this time by a company instead of a black-hat. Moreover, it gave the black-hats ideas
to do things that made it just that much more difficult to track their antics down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back