Virginia Uni Shooting - At Least 33 Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
These problems are human based, not race or gender...

but...

A society that places the importance of owning a gun so high that it is enshrined in the constitution (is it really?) must have questions for itself. Intelligent proper questioning that has nowt to do with headline making.

shinneri said:
I think in most if not all cases, one of the main goals is to see what caused it. I don't question whether warning signs gets missed--of course they do. But the goal of an investigation is to find motive, reason for an act. There will be changes made because of this mainly in the way of probably heightened security and awareness on campuses. The man's not even from the United States, if the latest reports are correct(so "society" unless you mean more like "humanity" probably didn't play much role). He apparently recently came here from China (again, according to what I heard most recently).. didn't say if he was a student here or whatever.

I doubt gun legality made him do it quite frankly. Though I'm entirely against private ownership of guns, it just doesn't make someone kill. Something did, and the investigation will bring out what that is.
i cant seem to find any reports that says hes not "American" can you provide links or something of that sort ?

Last edited by a moderator:
shinneri said:
I doubt gun legality made him do it quite frankly. Though I'm entirely against private ownership of guns, it just doesn't make someone kill. Something did, and the investigation will bring out what that is.
While I agree, gun legality is unlikely to be the cause, the availability of guns is part of the problem. I suspect there's a proportion of people in Europe who would like to do a similar thing but don't do it because they didn't have easy access to a gun.

Having a gun easily available makes random massacres easier, it's harder to fatally knife large numbers of people and more likely (the person has the means to act in a moment of temporary insanity).

Fox news said:
"We have a preliminary ID, but we're not prepared to release it yet. The investigation is ongoing and we are making progress," Flinchum told reporters Monday night, adding that police had questioned a "person of interest" related to the first shooting, and that person was not the dead gunman.
Is Police Chief Flinchum saying that his department has, or is considering questioning the dead gunman ? Do the public expect him to question dead people ?

I'm not even sure what I'm reading anymore, but I do believe they have yet to tie the same gunman to both shootings on the campus. Yes, that's right: they're unsure if there was another shooter who is still at large :(

shinneri said:
It's a good thing we had private ownership of firearms during the American Revolution, wouldn't you agree? It isn't as though we've evolved beyond needing to protect ourselves from tyranny.

You recognize that guns aren't what makes people kill, and yet you are against private ownership of guns? It's as though you want to blame guns while not blaming guns.

Something deeper is at fault with our societies. Gun-owning citizens haven't always been like this. Having guns doesn't necessicate murderous tendencies. Look at Switzerland.

The shooter was Cho Seung-Hui born in South Korea... Hmm I wonder if he had a GP2X?

lubidog said:
A society that places the importance of owning a gun so high that it is enshrined in the constitution (is it really?)
Yes... the 2nd amendment, right to bear arms, we needed it back in the 1700's so that farmers couldn't have there hunting rifles taken away by the military and things like that and we need it today so that if the world does somehow go to shit and guns are our only way to protect ourselves, nobody can take them away from us. We don't place the importance of owning a gun high, we just protect our right to do it. Saying that we place the gun high in our culture because of the 2nd amendment would be like saying that our culture values racism and bigotry just because we allow it to be spoken due to the 1st amendment.

Edit: I can't believe that they can get bombing squads and helicopters and all the police in a city to try and stop the terrorist threat of Aqua Teen Hunger Force but they can't bring in enough police fast enough to take out a murderer with a gun before he goes on a second rampage.

1. Despite this not being the first such incident, precautionary measures like metal detectors placed at academic buildings' entrances are still not done anywhere. Yes, it sounds exaggerated, but if it helps save lives, then you can't argue against the need of it.

2. The campus was not evacuated after the first shooting. They said they assumed that the first shooting was an isolated incident. They did not even secure the shooter, and they already felt confident enough to allow people in the vicinity to stay there? That is murder, no two ways about it.

3. The fact that people fear Chinese paratroopers landing on their roofs and taking over their country, thus requiring them to have guns. Come on.

You know, the UK and much of Europe has done perfectly well without guns for a long time. To whoever pointed out Switzerland, no person is allowed to carry a gun in public unless they can prove that they are in need of one. If in the military, they may carry a weapon but not ammunition. I don't support the carrying of weapons by the general public, especially firearms.

However, I doubt this particular shooting or shootings of this kind would be affected by a complete ban on the carrying of arms, unless the gunman was suddenly gripped with a desire to shoot people and happened to have a gun at hand - which I suppose is plausible.

My condolences to the friends and families of the victims.

Alex. said:
2. The campus was not evacuated after the first shooting. They said they assumed that the first shooting was an isolated incident. They did not even secure the shooter, and they already felt confident enough to allow people in the vicinity to stay there? That is murder, no two ways about it.
well in lock down drills your told to stay inside the building because there could be one gun man making everyone run outside then one some where picking kids off as they run outside :/

washo said:
You all say that this is a terrible news...Yes it is.
but what a wonderful country don't you think?
You can buy a gun at 16... YAY
You can drive at 16 too.
Yet you have to wait to be 21 to drink alcohol.

What would you think if guns were prohibed?
It would be even more sad no?
For a country, to allow kids to buy a gun, in 2007, what nonsence!

God bless America

see you :lol:
... and the French wonder why the world hates them so much.

F u c k you :lol:

(Edited, so you could read it properly .. jerk)

DemonStar55 said:
Alex. said:
well in lock down drills your told to stay inside the building because there could be one gun man making everyone run outside then one some where picking kids off as they run outside :/

Well, as far as I'm aware, life outside that particular dormitory carried on as usual, no lockdown, no nothing.

Alex. said:
DemonStar55 said:
Alex. said:

Well, as far as I'm aware, life outside that particular dormitory carried on as usual, no lockdown, no nothing.

true, they did have someone in custody while he started the second shooting so they probably figured they were safe to let them continue ...

Does anyone think these kids go postal while trying to reconcile the principles laid down in the constitution with the historical reality of America's recent history ? Or are they just mad as hell at the destruction of Habeas Corpus, the attorney-client privilege and furious at the White House authorisation of illegal domestic spying and wiretapping ?

TelcoLou said:

The British and the French hate each other because they have been kicking each other in the nuts for hundreds of years. It is a great European tradition.
America owes its independance to the French, so why do Americans now hate them so much ? France even gave them the Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World as a centenary gift so they would not forget the republican ideals. What went wrong ?

TelcoLou said:

Not half as much as the world hates Americans though. ;) The arrogance of your 2 nations amazes me, in that respect you're not all that different :rolleyes:

lubidog said:
A society that places the importance of owning a gun so high that it is enshrined in the constitution (is it really?)
We dont stress importance of owning a gun at all. We have the right to own one. There's nothing questionable about that.

Woman also have the right to vote. The amendment doesn't stress that it's important, we just permit it.

Edit: The french aren't too fond of us. Same with the general public of britain for the most part. In fact, the world dislikes us quite a bit. We've earned it ;)

@nick: I dont support the carrying of weapons either. In fact, the general US populi are no allowed to carry handguns in public afaik

I found this deeply disturbing to read. GMTV was on in my house this morning and they were heaving victims on to the TV to talk about the shootings mere hours after they've lost friends to this man going around killing them. They didnt handle it very well.

Having said that, I would go as far as saying I don't think the authorities could have done much more. They could have evacuated by then the shootings would probably still have happened. The police could have tried to save these people as, from the footage I've seen, the police stood behind trees while the gun shots were fired.

Yorper said:
TelcoLou said:

Not half as much as the world hates Americans though. ;) The arrogance of your 2 nations amazes me, in that respect you're not all that different :rolleyes:

It was an angry reply to another knee-jerk "America sucks" comment, from yet another mis-informed idiot ...

I hate individual people, not countries defined by imaginary lines on a map. <_<

It must be nice to live in a country such as yours, where there are no shootings and no arrogant people. It sounds like paradise ...

daclassicgamingmaster said:
lubidog said:
We dont stress importance of owning a gun at all. We have the right to own one. There's nothing questionable about that.

Woman also have the right to vote. The amendment doesn't stress that it's important, we just permit it.
I would say that's far more important than the right to own a gun.

@nick: I dont support the carrying of weapons either. In fact, the general US populi are no allowed to carry handguns in public afaik

I'll have to look that one up, I was under the impression that one would be allowed to (although putting the entire US in one bubble would be silly). And Wikipedia isn't helping. EDIT: Depends on the state, but it seems most allow carrying a gun in public provided you obtain a license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back