Videos Lagging In The Built In Player?

Is the player set to "Full"?

(wrong section, and this has been discussed a couple of times before, I'm sure...)

Try re-encoding the movie with PocketDivX, with a standard PDA setting.

Well, I guess I could try using mpegstreamclip (some weird program I use to edit videos) to try and make the resolution smaller...but it'll probably take a while. If the resolution is smaller, will it lag less?

Resolution doesn´t really matter, but if the bitrate is too high, it will stutter. I have found that bitrates up to 1600 Kb/s work ok on full. To reduce the bitrate, either reencode it with a lower resolutin or with a higher compression (i recommend using XviD with two passes, which has a good compression and still a decent quality).

Resizing the video will help... since the Gp2x will not need to scale it... but what you really need to do is to control the bitrate of the video. This will affect the quality of the movie... but with smaller size of the screen it should not be much of an issue. The bonus is that the smaller the bitrate the smaller the size of the movie, do a few samples to get a bitrate that is acceptable to you. Also note that with action movies you will probably want to increase the bitrate to catch all the activity happening on the screen, while with chick flicks, etc... it is less important. Another option to reduce file size if it is an issue is to decimate frames... most people probably will not notice... this means when encoding you would only process every other frame if you were converting to 15fps.. (roughly)... or what ever you choose to do.

Play around I am sure you will figure it out... and find something that works for you.

The GP2x has custom hardware to decode the video aswell. Bitrate shouldnt be an issue really. I've used 2Mbps on the GP2x and its fine. Its likely the audio some how causing it to slowdown.

Maybe you even have SD troubles... who knows ? (I have an SD card which was able to crash mplayer repeatedly)

It would help if you could cut a small portion of the movie and sent it us to have it analysed.

Well actually other movies work fine while this one's acting up...it's widescreen I think, if that matters at all. But I'll try what you guys said, thanks!

I remember reading that the amount of B-Frames matters, if there's too many the videos don't play well. If that's what's happening here, then re-encoding is your only option, even though you was doing it anyway, I thought it wouldn't hurt to add.

Back