Video Suggestion/and A Question

zombiesatemygoldfish

Still Fresh
So if anyone with a pandora is working on a new demo vid, I would love to see one with a bit torrent on it. Also would the bit torrent keep working if i closed the case? Thanks for the info! (from a linux newb :D)

Why? Torrents will or do work fine, and it's pretty hard to find a legal torrent these days.

Legal torrents : http://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/

But I agree that there's not much point of a torrent video.

It could be as dull as a guy typing "btdownloadheadless" into a console and then waiting for six hours.

While i agree its not thrilling, but its probably one of my main uses for the device - that and mobile surfing. We have free wireless access near my work and Id love to know if i could que up several torrents close the case and walk back a few hours later with my DLs completed.

To each his/her own i suppose, But surely that's a waste of a perfectly good Pandora ?.

Couldn`t you just use some cruddy x86 machine to do the dirty work ?. :p

Which would then free up the Pandora, So you can show it of to all your work colleagues ?.

Just a thought.

Trooper

VRAndy said:
It could be as dull as a guy typing "btdownloadheadless" into a console and then waiting for six hours.

I wouldn't mind staring at a Pandora for 6 hours... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
torrents will kill sys resources ,thats for sure and is there really any need to be downloading
such large files on a portable device ? 500mb-1.2gb max file size needed for movie to iso needs
unless downloading hd movie,pointless on pandora or 4gb+ dvd iso better using a desktop for this
and then transfering the file ,it would save your cards life and operation time,battery life and
so on.

I also think OP have given out many great vids so far ,we have just about seen everything.

I agree alot of videos theyve done so far have been excellent.

So doing this would kill card life for the SD cards?

Im only kind of into retro gaming and do not have a laptop so this will be my only mobile device, but I was intending on using the machine for lots of different purposes such as: IMing from wifi hotspots, using it to show videos, and downloading episodes for my nettop htpc when im busy at work and can have it plugged in and idle. And of course gaming when I have more than a few minutes to kill.

I'm not to savvy with linux and what the machine can or cant do well. Am I going to run it into the ground with these things? If so I'd like to know before it gets shipped so i can reconsider. Id appreciate any advice thrown my way :D

zombiesatemygoldfish said:
So doing this would kill card life for the SD cards?

Im only kind of into retro gaming and do not have a laptop so this will be my only mobile device, but I was intending on using the machine for lots of different purposes such as: IMing from wifi hotspots, using it to show videos, and downloading episodes for my nettop htpc when im busy at work and can have it plugged in and idle. And of course gaming when I have more than a few minutes to kill.

I'm not to savvy with linux and what the machine can or cant do well. Am I going to run it into the ground with these things? If so I'd like to know before it gets shipped so i can reconsider. Id appreciate any advice thrown my way :D

There's no reason downloading a torrent would be any worse for your SD card than copying the same file from your computer, it's the same amount of writes.
And in terms of resources, what seems an insignificant amount of CPU and memory on a powerful desktop might be a bit more noticeable on 500Mhz of ARM, but it's not going to slow it to a crawl. Just don't expect it to do your N64 framerate any good. ;)

I don't see any reason why any of those other uses would be difficult either, so you should be fine. :)

EDIT: ooh ooh, as someone said last time, you also need to download the torrent file, that could be a whole extra 100kB of writes!

Aninhumer said:
There's no reason downloading a torrent would be any worse for your SD card than copying the same file from your computer, it's the same amount of writes.
And in terms of resources, what seems an insignificant amount of CPU and memory on a powerful desktop might be a bit more noticeable on 500Mhz of ARM, but it's not going to slow it to a crawl. Just don't expect it to do your N64 framerate any good. ;)

I don't see any reason why any of those other uses would be difficult either, so you should be fine. :)

I agree. I plan on using my Pandora for DLing stuff while I'm at work (and should leave the Pandora at home, because I would play with it too much and get fired! :lol: ), simply because it'll use so much less power than a desktop. :) I'll probably use some sort of external storage for it though (not out of fear for my card -- just to have more/cheaper space).

I've used Transmission on my SmartQ7 and it worked just fine -- and that has half the RAM and not nearly as powerful a CPU. It should work wonderfully -- I'd imagine even when you're playing something like SNES or GBA. Just my opinion, though. :)

So if anyone with a pandora is working on a new demo vid, I would love to see one with a bit torrent on it. Also would the bit torrent keep working if i closed the case? Thanks for the info! (from a linux newb :D )
If you haven't noticed the "Promotion" videos that showoff the Pandora all use all legal things.(ie Doom 3) Because it would be illegal to play say Sonic on there because it's a ROM.

AFAIK torrenting is still legal, at least here in the states. Now had i requested a torrent video of a cracked version of photoshop or the newest lame hollywood flick I would definitly understand any concerns lol.

Trickyhero said:
So if anyone with a pandora is working on a new demo vid, I would love to see one with a bit torrent on it. Also would the bit torrent keep working if i closed the case? Thanks for the info! (from a linux newb :D )
If you haven't noticed the "Promotion" videos that showoff the Pandora all use all legal things.(ie Doom 3) Because it would be illegal to play say Sonic on there because it's a ROM.
What does that have to do with whether a torrent would continue downloading or not?
(answer: yes, it can, from what I've seen. The "close lid" feature just calls a command which can do as much or as little as you want it to, from simply turning off the display to running the clock way down it is practically asleep)

Trickyhero said:
This is going to blow your mind, so get ready, ....

.... There are legal torrents.

Is your mind blown?

I actually linked to a bunch of them earlier in this very thread.

The answer is: yes you can use your Pandora to do torrent downloads, and yes you can configure the Pandora to not stop/halt/freeze/sleep when you close the lid, so you can just set it down on the desk and come back later to see the download progress.

People may not like to admit this, but the Pandora is a normal Linux workstation in a very nice form factor, so you can do a lot of things - within resource limits - on the Pandora that you can do on a similarly configured linux workstation with the same amount of RAM. Enjoy that fact, because its true!

For example, I'll be using my Pandora for all sorts of things that aren't gaming related - of course I'll be checking out the game scene, but for me the most important use for the Pandora is going to be music-related. In that capacity, I expect the Pandora to excel.

I will be pushing my pandora to the limits but it's clear to me from experience of running torrents
on a 1.6 atom with a 16gb sd card and ubuntu that torrents kill all the resources and becase it's constantly
writing to the sd ,you will find every other task becomes impossible.So yes you can run 2 torrents and
you will be transfering them at the correct speed to the card but your torrent client will often freeze up
and it will look like nothing is happening but they are downloading ,on a side note ,download over nite
and you are fine but this can and will kill the sd card as its a prolonged write to the card ,not a good
idea ,but if you hook up an external HD ,it would take the load off the card with the OS on it.

But hey .... i just thought of something that makes me wrong ,the Panda OS is on NAND memory so you should
have better operations from writing to one of the 2 sd card slots.

Well you can streamline SD writes a lot with some tweaking and so on (noatime, etc.) so there are definitely ways to make this work ..

Back