Video In Trough Usb?

waffles

Unachivement unlocked.
Website
Visit site
personally i would love to see the Pandora have the ability to record video from line in and over the air, and have found a possible device.
i found this, and someone else asked if it was supported by Linux.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8453
the response was
"The chipsets mentioned in the description (Xceive XC3028, EMPIA EM2880, and Zarlink ZL10353) are all supported under Linux through V4L. Whether or not the entire device as a whole will work as expected is another story, but the chances look pretty good from here."
is there any possibility of this working with the Pandora?

waffles said:
personally i would love to see the Pandora have the ability to record video from line in and over the air, and have found a possible device.

I hope video in is a possibility. One thing to remember, though, if you are in the US anyway - that analog TV is dead as of Feb next year. So something like this has a limited time of usefulness.

Last edited by a moderator:
chad78 said:
waffles said:

I hope video in is a possibility. One thing to remember, though, if you are in the US anyway - that analog TV is dead as of Feb next year. So something like this has a limited time of usefulness.

Watch analog TV (worldwide) or digital terrestrial TV on PC or Laptop USB Bus power
anyway, there's a possibility of it working, i dont know if 'V4L' is x86 based or not tho...
regardless, it wouldnt be easy to get it working and might require a good bit of hacking.

bummer.
i would mainly be buying it for the video in connection, so that i could record TV and bring it on the go, like a dvr.

If the driver is open-source and is compiled with the kernel, it will probably work, of course the only way of knowing is to plug it in.

waffles said:
bummer.
i would mainly be buying it for the video in connection, so that i could record TV and bring it on the go, like a dvr.
Buy something like a Sandisk V-Mate or -- if you want to splurge out -- a Neuros OSD. Both will record directly to SD cards and the V-Mate is probably cheaper than a USB tuner-based solution.

I'd give you links, but Expansys won't load here ATM.

Karel Jansens said:
waffles said:
bummer.
Buy something like a Sandisk V-Mate or -- if you want to splurge out -- a Neuros OSD. Both will record directly to SD cards and the V-Mate is probably cheaper than a USB tuner-based solution.

I'd give you links, but Expansys won't load here ATM.

awesome, didnt know anyone made any of those.
lowest price i could fine is here (for 50$), is that a decent deal?
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=SD...map=SDVM1-A-A30

waffles said:
awesome, didnt know anyone made any of those.
lowest price i could fine is here (for 50$), is that a decent deal?
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=SD...map=SDVM1-A-A30

As it's listed for €91.95 on Expansys in Europe (bloody leeches!), I'd say: Go for it!

EDIT: Send me one, will you?

EDIT^2: Only kidding. The customs nazis would find it anyway.

magicman5421 said:
if you want tv shows, isn't it easier to just download them, (legally or not)?
Yes and no. It's easier but not everything is available as a download (and I really don't care about the presumed illegality of downloading recorded tv programmes that have been transmitted over the air in the first place) even in the US and lots of people watch tv shows that never become available for download.

Also, torrents tend to bum out pretty quickly on older material. I wanted to download some of "Penn & Teller"'s earlier shows and it took me almost two months to suck three seasons in. In those cases, recording a rerun from tv might be a lot easier in the end.

(Of course, with "Penn & Teller" I had no choice but to download. I don't think any European tv channel will ever run that show, for fear of giving EU underlings the idea that they might actually be capable of thinking for themselves, thus thwarting their overlords' master plan)

the main problem with torrents would be that it absolutely kills my bandwidth (im on a wireless USB dongle). im going to wait and see if the price drops on the sansa at all.
thats a good idea, would a slingbox work?

Back