Video Encoding

twobit

Still Fresh
How's this little beast going to cope if I plug a TV Tuner into it and run Myth on it? Think it'll handle encoding HD?
I wouldn't mind setting it up to record and encode video, then have a task to copy the files to my NAS where I can watch stuff on the big screen. I don't have a spare box to set up for Myth at the moment and figured if i could set up my pandora to do it... it might save me buying another device or building a box up for that.

Cheers,
Twobit

What's the processor on your NAS? Have you also considered doing video encoding/transcoding there?

Edit: Whoa-time for sleep. You said NAS, I thought you said STB (as in multimedia PC). NAS boxes don't typically need huge CPUs.

twobit said:
Think it'll handle encoding HD?
Yeah. It might be slow, but encoding isn't usually a real-time task unless you're a TV station, is it?

Ah, you mean as a DVR. Yeah, that would be... Well, since the hardware can just barely decode with 720p with all hardware acceleration, I doubt it can encode more than 480 lines in real-time.
I wonder aloud if there are USB hardware encoders for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
lulzfish said:
twobit said:
Think it'll handle encoding HD?
Yeah. It might be slow, but encoding isn't usually a real-time task unless you're a TV station, is it?

Ah, you mean as a DVR. Yeah, that would be... Well, since the hardware can just barely decode with 720p with all hardware acceleration, I doubt it can encode more than 480 lines in real-time.
It can decode 720p with no problem, just barely with h264 right now, apparently. There are a lot of codecs that don't get the same compression level as h264 that use a lot less CPU power, even at equivalent quality: they just use more disk space. DivX or XviD can easily encode high resolutions at VBR constant quality. You end up with a file twice as big as h264 encoding, but it's still doable.

lulzfish said:
USB tuner with hardware encoder.
Unfortunately it is too bulky for portable use, and requires external power. If you plan on using the pandora in a relatively stationary fashion while recording, it may work. (I have no idea on the linux driver support.)

Back