Quick question about video playback...

TitanUranus

I have a couple of TV series I've ripped from my (original) DVD's and I want to encode them. I've been trying a few different ways of encoding, and have found the most efficient (obviously) is the x264 codec (like women I also make multiple passes, unlike women my encoding hasn't failed yet). These are pal DVD's and the mkv output is 720x576 resolution - would these currently be playable on the Pandora? If not will support for these files be likely to happen before my Pandora arrives (my horroscope said I will recive a wonderful package in 2 months™). I'm asking 'cause the available info is a bit confusing, and less co-ordinated than Steven Hawkins dance moves. If it's playable, but needs overclocking, how much roughly, and what effect on battery life? Have you any suggestions for alternative compatible encoding?

Thanks for taking your valuable time to answer my questions, unless you didn't in which case screw you.

EDIT: Encoding x264 is taking a long time using the best settings - I don't want it to be wasted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of TV series I've ripped from my (original) DVD's and I want to encode them. I've been trying a few different ways of encoding, and have found the most efficient (obviously) is the x264 codec (like women I also make multiple passes, unlike women my encoding hasn't failed yet). These are pal DVD's and the mkv output is 720x576 resolution - would these currently be playable on the Pandora? If not will support for these files be likely to happen before my Pandora arrives (my horroscope said I will recive a wonderful package in 2 months™). I'm asking 'cause the available info is a bit confusing, and less co-ordinated than Steven Hawkins dance moves. If it's playable, but needs overclocking, how much roughly, and what effect on battery life? Have you any suggestions for alternative compatible encoding?

Thanks for taking your valuable time to answer my questions, unless you didn't in which case screw you.

EDIT: Encoding x264 is taking a long time using the best settings - I don't want it to be wasted.
It sound like a waste : http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/451-mkv-files-with-mplayer/

I wouldn't recommand you to encode to a resolution higher than the pandora screen size.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be playable. It's right on the edge of what I think may be possible with x264 at the moment. Once the new kernel is available in a few months with the DSP enabled, I think it won't be a problem.

If you want to encode just 30 seconds of video in the exact same way you're doing it now and upload it somewhere, I'm willing to give it a try to see if your settings as they are will work. There's a lot of settings to x264, even if it doesn't work right off, there may be some tweaks you can do.

It might be playable. It's right on the edge of what I think may be possible with x264 at the moment. Once the new kernel is available in a few months with the DSP enabled, I think it won't be a problem.

If you want to encode just 30 seconds of video in the exact same way you're doing it now and upload it somewhere, I'm willing to give it a try to see if your settings as they are will work. There's a lot of settings to x264, even if it doesn't work right off, there may be some tweaks you can do.

Thank you wizardstan, I'll try and upload a short clip at some point (can't do it till tomorrow though) and if you could try it I'd be delighted.

The reason I want to keep the original resolution is I'm going to lend the dvd's to a friend who lives quite far away so I won't see them for a while. I may want to watch an episode on my TV not only on the Pandora, but it'd be useful to also know if they will work on the Pandora.

Back