Video Editor?

RHCA

Still Fresh
I know this isn't a top of the edge hardware, bu it would be great to have some video editor to add filters, split videos and add transitions since I use video editing tools a lot 4 school

I was wondering this too. One of my planned uses for the pandora i get is to allow me to watch the videos taken on my ATC2K camera. Ideally id like a video editing program too, nothing special, just something that allows me to see a timeline and cut the clips.

Cinerella might work. Or at least smaller brethren like Kino or Avidemux.

While this isn't impossible, it is definately Not A Good Idea. Any video editing suite is going to need two things in spades - system memory and screen real estate. Those are two things you don't have a lot of with Pandora. Rarely (if ever) are you ever going to come across a video editing emergency where you can't just wait and edit the footage on a proper desktop machine.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Chip said:
A piece of wisdom, rarely followed.

Video Editing = Memory BW. Which to a good extent relies on memory capacity, which we don't have a whole lot of.

I could definately see the Cortex core being usefull for effects. Maybe for effects in Inkscape of GIMP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Megamixman said:
Chip said:
A piece of wisdom, rarely followed.

Video Editing = Memory BW. Which to a good extent relies on memory capacity, which we don't have a whole lot of.

I could definately see the Cortex core being usefull for effects. Maybe for effects in Inkscape of GIMP?

I was thinking about how I could use the Pandora for photo editing, but this is just a plain bad idea. Once again, you really need a huge screen to use graphics creation/editing programs, and even though I'm a photographer and I will be using GIMP anyway to edit my photos, there will be no need for me to whip out the Pandora and edit the color temperature of a photo right after I take it.

even if a video editor was ported, and the ram limitations were worked around, Unless the screen can be calibrated reasonably accurately It wouldn't be much use.

Hmm... Whilst I'm in agreement for any reasonable res video, I must say a very basic editing package could be quite nice. The main thing, presumably, to avoid is re-encoding - that'd be slow and cumbersome.

But it might, I imagine, be feasible to create an interface to do avisynth-esque editing, i.e. where the original source files are never changed, but you can play clips in sequnces, play only a set number of frames, and maybe use different audio clips and suchlike. You use a gui to fiddle with the vid, program outputs an avisynth compliant file which will render the original streams in the manner you're after, presumably with limitations on e.g. playing multiple streams at once. I'd guess the bandwidth is then less necessary. Don't know, though, I must confess...

Disclaimer: I am not a dev, the above is speculation, as ever :)

Is this a definative no? My camera doesn't have a screen (its a waterproof shockproof video camera) and so I cant review the videos without another device. I was hoping that some kinda of video editor would be made for the pandora so that i could cut the clips from the camera and remove bits i didnt want so as to save space on my SD cards. The videos from my particular camera are 640x480 @ 30fps (don't know any more details off hand).

Would it be possible to have simple program that would let me cut sections out of the video? im not looking for any fancy transistions or any other editing tools really. I just want to be able to view and cut my video clips while on holiday where a desktop/laptop is not easily at hand.

Geuben said:
Would it be possible to have simple program that would let me cut sections out of the video? im not looking for any fancy transistions or any other editing tools really.
It's certainly possible. It is possible to have a full video editing suite. The question is whether or not it would perform well enough and be useful enough to bother porting. Maybe somebody will, but don't count on it.

I do think the dual analogs would be nice for video editing- but it still is a pretty stupid idea. Maybe just cutting bits out, but that would be it. No filters, that would be just overkill.

If only I knew where to start, id give it a go at making the kind of simple editor im after, to see if it could be done. Unfortunatly my programming skills only venture into non graphical C (mainly programming micro controllers) and fenix/div.

magicman5421 said:
on a 4.3 inch screen i don't see really how it is possible...you'd need to really squint to see it. that'd be a real pita.
Squint to see what exactly? if you mean Cinerella then ok, i have no idea what that app looks like so maybe you would have to squint to see some of the controls etc. However if someone were to make their own app then surely they'd make a GUI that was clear and easily visible on the pandoras screen.

magicman5421 said:
on a 4.3 inch screen i don't see really how it is possible...you'd need to really squint to see it. that'd be a real pita.
I still don't think its technically possible, but aesthetically it certainly is.
lol1ed0.png

It's the resolution, and it fits the size of it on my screen. It would be even easier if you just had all the screen space, and just had shortcuts and a timeline.

I think the idea with the most merit here has got to be Geuben's suggestion of a simple timeline cropper. There wouldn't really be any number crunching involved, since you're mainly talking about deleting unwanted data, and then updating the file index/headers, and you're not re-encoding, so you can do a direct stream copy. You wouldn't really need a GUI for that because it's so simple, so you could have the video full screen, solving the size issue.

At a guess, stick for skipping through it, one button to mark start, one to mark end, another to save?

Just ideas, just ideas...

It doesn't seem unreasonable to have an editing program along the lines of virtual dub. You can cut and merge avi files, and export them. I don't think anything more than that is necessary.

It could be great for those creating Youtube content. Film with handycam, dump directly to Pandora via USB, trim start/finish points, upload via Wifi. Piece of cake! (The app shall be called PanCake. Get coding.)

Delicious Pancakes, with mountains of syrup.....................................................jk

I think if you honestly want to have something like this, go for it. I could see how many people might find this app useful. Honestly even if people don't like this idea, they dont have to download it............

-Spadoof

Back