720P Video

trix

Very Active Member
Hi!
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I remember reading before that the TV OUT on the Pandora is SVideo and thus cannot output HD. Yet, I've seen videos that prove the hardware itself can handle outputting that resolution, just apparently not the TV OUT port. My question is, is there a way, through a new cable or USB or hardware add-on or something, to output 720p video to a monitor or HDTV via DVI or HDMI?

Thanks,
- trix

NO.

Thanks for searchin' for this.

Since I'm feeling generous I'll explain.

The OMAP has 2 outputs, a digital and an analog. The digital output is connected to the LCD controller. IN the beagleboard they connect the digital output to the HDMI port. The reason the Pandora has S-Video out is because it's essentially free, the OMAP supports it natively without any additional chips. In order for the Pandora to do HDMI/DVI output (which are the same video signal btw, just different connectors) you'd have to give up your LCD and include an HDMI controller. As far as using USB, the USB spec is not nearly fast enough to transmit 720p video uncompressed, look into it. USB 2.0's data rate (theoretical) is 480 mbps, 720p video would be 1280x720x24x60 bits per second, approximately, which is much larger. You could always stream your 720p video through wifi using VLC to a media center PC running at 720p though, that's probably what I'll do (if it's doable) or I'll just use the Pandora as a remote control for my PC. SO your "something" is possible, just rather expensive (must have htpc.)

You could have 720p output with an usb graphicscard, but it will be slow, because the processor and the bandwidh will be not the best. Better to use such a device for presentations and static things, than movies. The svga-out really only has 640x480 max. The Hardware itself can have a dvi-out like the beagleboard OR an internal screen. Not both. Pandora has its digital output connected to the lcd screen.

Edit: too slow...

rabidpoobear said:
NO.

Thanks for searchin' for this.

Since I'm feeling generous I'll explain.

The OMAP has 2 outputs, a digital and an analog. The digital output is connected to the LCD controller. IN the beagleboard they connect the digital output to the HDMI port. The reason the Pandora has S-Video out is because it's essentially free, the OMAP supports it natively without any additional chips. In order for the Pandora to do HDMI/DVI output (which are the same video signal btw, just different connectors) you'd have to give up your LCD and include an HDMI controller. As far as using USB, the USB spec is not nearly fast enough to transmit 720p video uncompressed, look into it. USB 2.0's data rate (theoretical) is 480 mbps, 720p video would be 1280x720x24x60 bits per second, approximately, which is much larger. You could always stream your 720p video through wifi using VLC to a media center PC running at 720p though, that's probably what I'll do (if it's doable) or I'll just use the Pandora as a remote control for my PC. SO your "something" is possible, just rather expensive (must have htpc.)

Thank you for the informative response! I did actually search "Pandora HDTV" but the results were unhelpful. Now that I tried "720p video" I eventually found useful threads, but alas I had already created the topic. My apologies.

Streaming through WiFi to HTPC would work, however the HTPC could (usually) handle the video itself, and likely would have more hard drive space. If anything I'd probably stream video in reverse and just access my collection in Pandora when in range. But what about a hardware solution added to the beagleboard? I may have misunderstood, but isn't there port(s?) open on the hardware to allow expansion/hacking? Could such a port be fast enough for possible 720p output? Ah probably not I'd guess.

Anyway I appreciate the maturity shown in your response, what could have been a "deserved" flame was instead an informative, patient response to a frequently asked question. Forums are not often so patient in such matters.

- trix

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidpoobear said:
mcobit said:
The svga-out really only has 640x480 max.
Um, I think it supports NTSC standards so it should be able to do 720x480, right? (unsure)

Ok, thats for 16:9 DVD Standard, 4:3 is 640x480. Theoriginal NTSC-standard for analog tvs is 4:3.

trix said:
Thank you for the informative response! I did actually search "Pandora HDTV" but the results were unhelpful. Now that I tried "720p video" I eventually found useful threads, but alas I had already created the topic. My apologies.
It's okay, I yell at people about searching but whenever I try to find something it's pretty hard, so I can imagine how hard it'd be to find something if you don't know what query terms to use. By the way, have you tried searching through google rather than through the GP32X search? it often works better. for example you can search "site:www.gp32x.de 720p video external" and the thread "Looks Like We May Be Able To Get Hd Out" is on the first page.
trix said:
Streaming through WiFi to HTPC would work, however the HTPC could (usually) handle the video itself, and likely would have more hard drive space. If anything I'd probably stream video in reverse and just access my collection in Pandora when in range.
Yeah, that's probably what I'll end up doing as well. It was just a thought, as a possible way to get video from Pandora to your tv in HD. But SD doesn't necessarily have to look that bad, S-Video is pretty high-quality, and I ordered the TV-Out cable to play with (though I mostly got it for the line audio in/out, since I am planning on using it for audio applications).
trix said:
But what about a hardware solution added to the beagleboard? I may have misunderstood, but isn't there port(s?) open on the hardware to allow expansion/hacking? Could such a port be fast enough for possible 720p output? Ah probably not I'd guess.
There are UART ports (which are essentially serial ports) that are designed to allow you to connect serial-port-type things, like arduinos, remote control systems for projectors (my projector has rs232 output that lets you automate control of it), and other things. The bandwidth is on the order of a few hundred kilobytes a second, way below what would be necessary for video. USB would be the best bet for actually outputting video directly but as was mentioned before, this won't likely work for video, just for presentations, etc.
trix said:
Anyway I appreciate the maturity shown in your response, what could have been a "deserved" flame was instead an informative, patient response to a frequently asked question. Forums are not often so patient in such matters.
And I appreciate that you didn't misconstrue my terseness for a personal attack, which often happens on the internet. I think we'll get along just fine :)

mcobit said:
rabidpoobear said:
mcobit said:
Um, I think it supports NTSC standards so it should be able to do 720x480, right? (unsure)

Ok, thats for 16:9 DVD Standard, 4:3 is 640x480. Theoriginal NTSC-standard for analog tvs is 4:3.
OK but you agree that 720x480 is larger than 640x480, and therefore the Pandora does not output 640x480 as its max resolution? So your original statement was incorrect?

rabidpoobear said:
mcobit said:
rabidpoobear said:
mcobit said:

OK but you agree that 720x480 is larger than 640x480, and therefore the Pandora does not output 640x480 as its max resolution? So your original statement was incorrect?

I will agree, that it is larger. And after some research i have to say, that it is possible for svideo to output the whole 16:9 resolution. I just messed up the widescreen support for NTSC, that doesn't automatically switch the resolution on the signal-reciever. However. You're right.

mcobit said:
I will agree, that it is larger. And after some research i have to say, that it is possible for svideo to output the whole 16:9 resolution. I just messed up the widescreen support for NTSC, that doesn't automatically switch the resolution on the signal-reciever. However. You're right.
I believe some devices do support 16:9 through S-Video, but yeah I get your point, most analog is 4:3.

mcobit said:
rabidpoobear said:
mcobit said:

Hehe... one of my DVDs is 856x480.

It also has black bars encoded into the video. Only ~360 pixels have stuff on them.

I wonder if 4:3 TVs would crop that or stretch? Probably crop?

Kramy said:
Hehe... one of my DVDs is 856x480.

It also has black bars encoded into the video. Only ~360 pixels have stuff on them.

I wonder if 4:3 TVs would crop that or stretch? Probably crop?

A 4:3 TV should display exactly what it's receiving, if the actual picture information contains bars then you'll see bars!
Unless you have stretch/zoom options that some later sets had to cope with 16:9 signals.

You'd need a HDMI/DVI/whatever digital output to squeeze the extra res from that disc though ;)

http://www.linusakesson.net/hardware/beagleboard/vga.php

This could have been an option or an option for future batches. Not sure if MWeston is aware of it. As it seems to grab the signal directly from the OMAP something like 640x480 should be possible, or just disabling the LCD and outputting VGA signal. The other option I mentioned would be a switch to switch between VGA / DVI-D and the display.
However, this will clearly not make it into the first batch, its far too late for this ;)

JayFoxRox said:
http://www.linusakesson.net/hardware/beagleboard/vga.php

This could have been an option or an option for future batches. Not sure if MWeston is aware of it. As it seems to grab the signal directly from the OMAP something like 640x480 should be possible, or just disabling the LCD and outputting VGA signal. The other option I mentioned would be a switch to switch between VGA / DVI-D and the display.
However, this will clearly not make it into the first batch, its far too late for this ;)

i don't know exactly, but I thought beagleboard has anoter chip for the DVI-out, that pandora hasn't. There the datalines go to the lcd encoder, not to the dvi-out-chip. So you have to grab the signal before the encoder and add a dvi chip, else you won't get a lot out of it.

Back