Vice Skips On Gp2x?

Simon

Still Fresh
Hi all

Im trying to use vice 1.21 on gp2x, but Im having issues.

Every half a second or so, the emulation skips (audio and video), no matter what my frameskip settings are.

Does anyone have any idea why, and how I might fix it? it makes everything unplayable.

Thanks

I found the same problem. To fix it I started using Frodo instead

Yes me too, you can clock higher or set the frameskip higher which can help, but it's definately a problem with VICE. Despite VICE being more advanced, it doesn't seem to be under GP2X-specific development anymore to fix issues like this which aren't part of the main project. I use Frodo as the menu pauses the game too which is an oversight in VICE...

®

Its a shame, because I can tell you Vice pwns frodo in terms of accuracy of emulation..... has anyone made any attempt at figuring this out? It looks like the gp2x is fast enough to run vice, because for those few brief moments between pauses, emulation appears to be 100% :)

Has anyone run Vice on gp2x and *not* had these pauses?

its probably writing or reading something from sd at those moments.... i don't see why it should do that thou.

It also doesn't help that it's a later version of VICE which is quite CPU hungry. I had a P150 laptop which would choke on any version of VICE after around 1.14 or so. Not sure what changed but anything before that would run like lightning on it, anything after would *reallllllllly* suffer :(

So, suggestion to whomever wants to take it up; trying porting an earlier version of VICE and see what the speed difference does on the :gp2x :)

I find that bumping the clockspeed up just a little resolves this issue completely.

Frodo is also nice, more features, faster etc..

But VICE is more accurate and compatible in general.

slaanesh said:
Has anyone successfully compiled this?

Please let me know if you have!
Did you already try to contact the Vice team?
vice-devel@firenze.linux.it

Last edited by a moderator:
Any progress on a compiled version? Would like to see you take a crack at this, Slaanesh!

Mac

Macguyver said:
Any progress on a compiled version? Would like to see you take a crack at this, Slaanesh!

Mac
Yep me too, I've sent a mail to the devteam of vice (vice-devel@firenze.linux.it) but they didn't respond at all.

Because of that skipping I changed over exclusively to Frodo (which I now like more anyway) though there are a handful of games I would like to play which only work in Vice.

Overclocking doesn't help on my GP2X IIRC: I've gone up as far as 300 (playing Snare) and it still paused every few seconds.

Lobo said:
Because of that skipping I changed over exclusively to Frodo (which I now like more anyway) though there are a handful of games I would like to play which only work in Vice.

Overclocking doesn't help on my GP2X IIRC: I've gone up as far as 300 (playing Snare) and it still paused every few seconds.
I dont think Ive found a game that works in vice but doesnt work in frodo. I find just trying a different way of loading helps

I must admit I havent tried that one.
another plus for frodo over vice though - On frodo you can put your own keymaps in which is very good for games like skool daze and spyhunter

The main advantage of Frodo over VICE is that simply pressing the menu button also pauses the game, while in VICE the emulation continues in the background while you frantically scramble on the virtual keyboard to work out what the pause key is!

®

Off the top of my head, "Subway Vigilante" doesn't work in Frodo but does in Vice.

Back