Viability of Backtrack and other Linux Distributions?

zeldarocks

I was wondering, given that Backtrack 5 is set to support the ARM Architecture natively upon release; how viable would it be to get it running on the Pandora? Would it simply be a matter if booting up a live USB on the device and installing it as one would on a traditional computer?

which arm architecture? :p

would be a case of put kernel/file system(whatever form that takes) on sd card, and write a boot.txt to tell u-boot how to load it

or at least that's the way in an ideal version where nothing goes wrong, ask again when it's available to try

There is an entire distro devoted to penetration testing :eek: ? I feel like I've been living under a rock.

Would this be good for helping me secure my home network? I have about 6 computers I have to maintain besides the one I use (my mothers home office and a tenant in an outbuilding). I am constantly being bombarded.

You really don't need half of the programs in backtrack.

That being said to fully use backtrack to its full potential we need to have full monitor mode and packet injection enabled on the pandora!

also ports of wireshark, nmap and aircrack would be nice and a few others...for pen testing of course :)

Would somebody please test it? Although, the ARM version was compiled with Android phones in mind...

chroot loads just fine. ran metasploit to quickly test

EDIT:Needs some configuration to run x with all the fancy menu stuff, didn't have time to play.

Use VNC to see the gui :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, you'll need ~5gig free space on an SD card formatted to ext2 or something that can handle big files.

A quick change in the bootbt script to point it to the img file on your /media/mmcblk and its a go

You really don't need half of the programs in backtrack.

That being said to fully use backtrack to its full potential we need to have full monitor mode and packet injection enabled on the pandora!

also ports of wireshark, nmap and aircrack would be nice and a few others...for pen testing of course :)
Yea, back track is kinda useless without those... I think a port of Aircrack would be awesome, how difficult would that be?

backtrack is a great collection of tools and it saves us compiling and configuring all the dependencies for those tools. Cracking wireless is just a small piece of the picture.

But saying that, I (think) I've had some luck patching the drivers to allow packet injection, but further testing and debugging will be necessary (I don't currently have another packet injection device to test with), see

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/3013-wireless-driver-wpacket-injection-support-bounty/

Last edited by a moderator:
i have bt5 running on a n900 using the extracted image an an ext2 sd card. gonna try it on my pandora this week using chroot and vnc... problem with the n900 though. all keystrokes are wrong while using the gui. havent found the fix for it yet. can anyone confirm the keys working within the gui on a pandora?

Back