Anyone Having Usb Problems Connecting The Gp2x To The Pc?

d_lamer2003

Still Fresh
Just for the record, I am opening this thread so that those of us in this forums have problems connecting the GP2X to a pc using USB, post his details like model,firmware version number etc and then maybe this will help the GP2X developers solve out wheter it is a firmware problem, or hardware problem, and for those who have succeded in solving this problem,write it down also how you solved it etc.

I start myself GP2X Firmware 2.0.0
Model: GP2X - F100
S/N 2006.06.20 GP2XV127 00005798

I tried with three different usb cables, on 2 different computers but still gp2x was not recognized by any pc.
By the way I know I can use a card reader to write stuff to the GP2X, but I have found certain cases where I need the GP2X to connect to the computer tru USB e.g. to telnet into it,etc.
Thanks for all those who will answer, and for those who will write, NOOB, use the search function next time and similar answers, please understand that I am doing this thread to help the community, and not to fight against it!

I'm more or less certain it's a software issue. My GP2X works fine when plugged into my laptop, but has problems on my computer. If I plug it into the ports on the front of my case (USB 2), the GP2X will sometimes work, but most of the time it gives an error. If I then plug it into a crappy USB 1.1 hub I have it works perfectly (but alot slower).

Somebody has said that uninstalling a USB driver can resolve the issue.

This seems to be the usb cable in SOME cases, some computers just don't like the GP2X USB cable but it will work fine if you use a cable from a printer or camera. Odd. I'm looking into it.

This is probably the 5th time I'm making this post...

I've tried different usb cables, different drivers, different usb ports, disabling usb2.0 in the bios.. and lots of other things I'm forgetting right now. In every case, XP would detect it and then immediately say it was unsupported and crap out.

I have no interest in using it instead of my card reader but it would be nice to have the other functionality.

Hmmm, could this be a USB voltage/power issue. I know some monitors and keyboards that have the USB sockets don't provide enough power for some devices, especially some USB flash drives. And I thought when the GP2X first came out that some people had no luck plugging into the USB sockets on the front of their cases (since they are acually hooked to the motherboard by cables), but some did have success when plugging into the back of their case directly into the motherboard. This probably doesn't explain all of the problems, but it is probably part of it. It would explain why using USB hubs help, which was another suggestion when the GP2X first came out.

I don't know why people have to use the direct link through USB, it's hella slow. To give you an idea, I hooked up my gp2x to my older pc and it took around 40 minutes to format the card in it. I took that card out and formatted it in my new pc in seconds. I also had the same problem getting it to work on my main pc, it is a newish socket 939 system with onboard USB ports, I tried several and it would always error out. I hooked it up to my older socket A system I use as a media pc and it detected and worked fine. So it could be a chipset issue or something, either way I've heard the latest firmware doesn't seem to have as many problems.

From what I know of its the draw on the cable to the GP2X which could be the issue (as I suspect) because when I had this problem I tried many different USB cables but of the ones that I tried only my heavy duty one (that is used for an external USB2 HDD) worked flawlessly.

So if you want less hassle just use a cable thats needed for a high draw USB device ala HDD.

Yeah I get the "device malfunctioned/not recognized" on all my PCs

If you are just looking to xfer files to the SD card, get a card reader.
if you want to do USB networking, here is my fix:

1- Disable power management on your USB root hub(s).
2- Connect the GP2x in a USB1 port, USB2 will not work (I use an old hub to achieve this).
3- Install the RNDIS driver from the GP2X archive.
4- Obviously, make sure you have FW 2.0 and that you put USB network/telnet/samba and whatever else server you want to use set to ON.

This allows me to use the telnet/samba servers and whatnot without any too much problems (on my laptop, the PC starts bitching after ~15 min of inactivity... it won't recognize the device again, but I powercycle the GP2X and it's ok again...) My desktop doesn't seem to do that.

If you need further help with any of these steps (I didn't detail them too much) either reply, PM me or get me on MSN

edit: people, quit only saying to get an SD card reader... some of us want to telnet into the thing =P

I'm another firm believer that it's some kind of power issue. If I'm lucky and no other usb devices are connected it will work. Other times I have to connect a serial cable, and other times I find that connecting to an unpowered hub that has an extra usb plug to draw more power from the laptop will solve the problem.

Back