Vektar 0.9

I am sure he does deserve support and so on, but I really wonder what we will get for 30$ in comparision to the free version if it's going to be release in some weeks already?
But basically, I do absolutely support this development, and I don't care who makes money out of it (as long as it's not M$ ;) ).

racoon posted on May 8 2006 at 04:36 PM said:
I am sure he does deserve support and so on, but I really wonder what we will get for 30$ in comparision to the free version if it's going to be release in some weeks already?
But basically, I do absolutely support this development, and I don't care who makes money out of it (as long as it's not M$ ;) ).
Basically a different game. I will admit I find the price a wee bit steep but as its on a physical medium I find it ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it certainly isn't expensive compared to PSP, DS or GBA games here in the UK. Plus half the cost is for the SD card the game comes on! But I think it is important to do a physical version of the game.

Dzz posted on May 8 2006 at 01:34 PM said:
My suggestion is to buy the game if it seems like you'd get your money's worth (same as any other game), and don't think too much about who is getting helped by it.
Well, to be honest, it doesn't. I tried the demo and it seemed like it was almost exactly the same as the freeware version (which I haven't beaten, so the 30 new levels don't interest me). I think I will wait for a review before deciding.

Thanks for answering my questions.

EDIT: if half of the cost is the SD card, how much is the downloadable version? (in US dollars, please)

EDIT 2:
Well, it certainly isn't expensive compared to PSP, DS or GBA games here in the UK.
Well, in the US, GBA and DS games generally start at about $30, and PSP games start at $40 (another reason I don't have a psp :p).

Thanks for this update of my favorite homebrew game on Gp2X Dzz.
This release is really great and I couldn't reach my hi score, wich is quite a good news!
The enemies are also great on this version and I could even do my "hide in the corner" trick for the first levels.
Since the second level... I actually was in the corner... Baaam !
The sound selector is also a nice feature.

I love this game !

craigix posted on May 8 2006 at 04:49 PM said:
Well, it certainly isn't expensive compared to PSP, DS or GBA games here in the UK. Plus half the cost is for the SD card the game comes on! But I think it is important to do a physical version of the game.

Have you contacted companies directly for pricequotes? Even from a retail store I can get a 512 mb SD card for 9.88 each shipped if I order in gross...

craigix posted on May 8 2006 at 07:49 PM said:
It is on par with GBA and DS titles in the UK (UK price for Vektar is c. £22.50 inc P+P), if you shop in the right places.

This is like the music industry justification - they claim that people are prepared to pay £3.50 for a ringtone, so the market can stand this price level, so they were charging people to download a track about £2.50 or thereabouts. These music companies can't try to extort this level of pricing and be surprised when people, as a result, find an alternative free source.

A game's bulk of cost is shop profits and development. Vektar would not have cost teams of programmers in expensive offices to produce, with a multi-million pound budget. Distribution is low cost (no lorry transportation and warehousing).

My comment is as before, if the game is cheap, people will buy. At this price level, people (like deadlychicken22 and myself for example) are reluctant to pay this price for the game, especially on an open platform system with thousands of quality existing games available. Many will wait for a review and may not buy even then, whereas if the game was cheap, they would.

Of the £19.99, if half of that is for the SD card (I found 256Mb cards for £10.19 inc VAT, plus P+P), minus the cost of the box and printed instructions, (and no P+P) means to preserve your profits and costs, the game could be sold as a download for about £7 and you will be in the same profit levels.

Craigx, sorry for hammering this point, but my motives are purely to genuinely help you, not to hinder; if you offered the game as a download for £7 (eg you e-mailed it to the buyer), people will buy in droves. If you keep to the policy of having a boxed product c.£22.50 inclusive, (UK), people will not buy in the same quantities, and many will look for a pirated copy - I am not saying that I will, but many will. This won't help you, Dzz, or the GP2x in general.

when you say its important to do a physical VERSION of the game do you mean you might plan to offer a paid download as well. i think that woul be best as its nice to have a physical product to sell and for others to sell and it may make it feel more professional but offering the option to pay for a download would be nice too and is a model that seems to work for many shareware authors.

I hope the commercial version ramps up the challange a bit. I had to stop playing last night at ~550,000 points ... I was at work and had to take care of an issue, so I just let my ships all blow up so I could save the high score.

Back