Vectrex

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Got fedup of trying to get Snes to play nice on the Wiz. Cursed the Wiz long enough, and then found out the emu wasn't actually outputting any sound :huh:

The cpu emu had bugs which prevented it from working on the Wiz (causing seg faults), which I've managed to fix, but not outputting any audio at all. Weird. Could be the SPC700 or Decode blocks of asm, or something else.

So, here's Vectrex's Minestorm for the Wiz instead. At least it proves that there was never a problem with my sound routines.

NOTE: As this is mainly a vertical game, it requires the kernel to support FBIO_RGB_CONTROL, FBIO_DEVICE_ENABLE and FBIO_LCD_CHANGE_CONTROL. If yours does not, then you'll only have the 320x240 (Horizontal) mode available, as it uses the hardware rather than software for rotation.

You can switch between 320x240 and 240x320 modes using the shoulder buttons (So people who prefer horizontal mode, or don't have the above functions in there kernel, can still play the game).

No hardware hacks are used. It just uses /dev/GPIO, /dev/dsp, /dev/mixer and /dev/fb0.

[attachmentid=359]

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge;

Thanks for Vectrex!

How does one exit the emulator?

I know there are public domain game roms for Vectrex out there ... is it possible to load a different game rom into this emulator, or does it only play Minestorm?

CTRL+C. Yes, you need a terminal connected via the serial port.

And yes, currently it only does Minestorm.

Hi Squidge, Will you give support for more games to this emulator?

I think this emulator is incredible and i need more :)

If you have some free time in the next months i hope you release a new version.

Thnak you for the work :)

I have very clear memories of seeing a Vectrex in the electronics department of Sears (!) when I was a kid. It was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen ... seemed like it was light years ahead of every other video game console at the time.

Rivroner said:
Hi Squidge, Will you give support for more games to this emulator?

I think this emulator is incredible and i need more :)

If you have some free time in the next months i hope you release a new version.

Thnak you for the work :)
Since this thread was *months* old and is beginning to fossilize I think we can assume this project is dead :blink:

The emulator is only really capable of running Minestorm - I've loaded other roms into it, but they don't work too well (corrupted graphics). I don't have the time at the moment to fix it.

Squidge said:
The emulator is only really capable of running Minestorm - I've loaded other roms into it, but they don't work too well (corrupted graphics). I don't have the time at the moment to fix it.

Thank you for the answer Squidge.

Maybe some coder with the source code would enjoy coding this emulator someday :)

Back