Valve Games console "Steambox"

Well, there goes PC gaming... At least it was a nice run... I could be true as gabe's interview on PA. On the other hand, Valve might be much more better then how sonry and macroshaft handles its customers and developers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I understood it, they were doing Steam-compatible configurations. The way I take that is that multiple manufacturers could potentially make Steam-powered "consoles", which would make more sense than Valve making a game system, imo. The console market is rough, and I think Gabe knows that. A configurable controller would be neat tho.

TKbpu.jpg

The original. The best.

Edit: spoilered :)

^ Psst, spoilers may be good there.

On topic: Would not buy, I will use my PC for my steam needs. I'm not sure why anyone would buy this if they could get a somewhat decent gaming PC at the same price (depending on the price that is).

Steam box? Hell yeah! Sign me up! :lol: (but can I get one without the beefcake?)

@moz

I don't know if it would be something so specific. I would think it'd be more like a set of minimum specifications, and the manufacturer can label their pre-configured systems as "Steam-certified" or something like that. Think "Alienware XZ160X9 Laptop, Steam-certified," or "Razer PitBull Desktop PC, Steam-certified." Seems to me like a good idea, actually, since it would mean most non-techie people could just look for that certification if they wanted something that could run the latest games well enough. Then I wouldn't have to help my friends and family look for new computer specs everytime they want to upgrade to something more powerful lol. "New computer, eh? Just look for a configuration that says 'Steam-certified' and you're good to go." :p

A set of specifications for a PC-in-a-box? That reminds me of something...

Ah! The Infinium Labs Phantom!

Some wag has apparently named the rumoured Valve 'console' the Gabecube, which is nice.

I can certainly understand the logic of having a standard configuration so that it is easy to see if a game is 'fit for purpose' before it is released on Steam. After witnessing the debacle which was the launch of Arkham City & Rage & misc others where huge swathes of users vented their quite reasonable frustrations on the Steam forums, it seems like a good solution to these problems.

Still no denial of these rumours from Valve which makes me think there may be a kernel of truth in them. Wonder if we'll see the Gabecube unveiled with HL3 as the flagship game.

EDIT : Looks like there has been some kind of official denial

"Console"? Sounds more like a PC in disguise. And suddenly I remember "Project Phantom"... :lol:

^ Psst, spoilers may be good there.
Stay cool. Most of us are "european" enough to stand this. :rolleyes:

Back