Utterly Impressive Homebrew Handheld

darkblu

a bit old, but couldn't find it posted, so here it is for your pleasure:

http://hackaday.com/2009/11/03/8-bit-device-quenches-iphone-envy/

IMO modern 8-bit CPUs are best leveraged in high volume parts, I never really got the appeal to using them in hobbyist things like this. Would much rather see a Cortex-M3 part employed here. But at least it's not a PIC being used, I'm much happier to see an AVR instead.

Very impressive software though. I wonder what video it supports.. surely nothing with very sophisticated compression. I also wonder about the Pac-Man demo, is it a clone, or just a video? Definitely not emulated.. the 3D is actually what impresses me the least, I've seen almost as good on an NES which is much weaker.

Exophase said:
IMO modern 8-bit CPUs are best leveraged in high volume parts, I never really got the appeal to using them in hobbyist things like this. Would much rather see a Cortex-M3 part employed here. But at least it's not a PIC being used, I'm much happier to see an AVR instead.
i wonder how well some of the old-time 8-bit mutitasking environments would run on that thing (i.e. there was an 6800-based os with a pre-emptive scheduler, but i can't remember its name for the life of me).

Very impressive software though. I wonder what video it supports.. surely nothing with very sophisticated compression. I also wonder about the Pac-Man demo, is it a clone, or just a video? Definitely not emulated.. the 3D is actually what impresses me the least, I've seen almost as good on an NES which is much weaker.
judging by some of the comments of readers who claim to have seen the code - the video is uncompressed - the guy is just streaming-in raw pictures from the media. then again, one could argue that so does mjpeg ; )

Last edited by a moderator:
darkblu said:
i wonder how well some of the old-time 8-bit mutitasking environments would run on that thing (i.e. there was an 6800-based os with a pre-emptive scheduler, but i can't remember its name for the life of me).

I dunno, but I think that preemptive multitasking is a bad use of resources for slow 8bit embedded platforms. I think people too easily dismiss cooperative multitasking in general, when it's usually a better solution if all your software plays nice.

Strangely, I think preemptive multitasking would have much more relative overhead on an AVR than a 6800 because the former has over 32 registers that have to be switched and the latter only has a few.

darkblu said:
judging by some of the comments of readers who claim to have seen the code - the video is uncompressed - the guy is just streaming-in raw pictures from the media. then again, one could argue that so does mjpeg ; )

Not surprising. Personally I would be impressed if this could stream MJPEG at 2fps, much less 60.

Exophase said:
I never really got the appeal to using them in hobbyist things like this.
And that is why you aren't 'in' with the crowd ;).

Orkie said:
And that is why you aren't 'in' with the crowd ;) .
Ah yeah, I guess that's why your crowd didn't vote me into the club last board meeting..

Nice to see you're back here with your useless trolling bullshit responses and not anything of substance for a change, good show :>

Back