Another Linux Handheld

gibberish

i dont know why they tried to steal the psp looks and name, neoflash are pretty well respected for their hardware over the years... why ruin it by making their handheld look like yet another chinese knockoff?
tbh, there is nothing immediately special about this device either, it apparently runs the same old retro emulators you can find on a million other devices. in fact i dont know why im reporting it, save for the fact it supposedly runs linux so should be hackable to some degree? other than that, it looks like a rebadge of a generic chinese pmp.

neo_slim_3000-11-09-09.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/09/neo-slim-3000-handheld-promises-game-emulation-and-more/#comments
http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,5826.0.html

There's a real lack of useful info about this thing in the linked posts. No mention of CPU or GPU specs, for instance. All in all, I wouldn't expect much of this, but I'm sure there will be a few handheld addicts here who will pick one up.

Sigh, if you're going to ripoff the PSP that much at least have enough dignity to not call it the "Neo Slim 3000"

I don't know what company their core is based out of but it'd be pretty hilarious if Sony were successful in bringing them to court over this.

This might sound silly, but any device that has FM Radio support I steer clear of. In my mind it just means that the device is so crappy that they tack that on as just another added feature. Does anyone listen to radio on a device that can play digital music?

second exodous said:
Does anyone listen to radio
No, not that I'm aware of.
Well, my mom listens to talk radio and my friend listens to pop songs on the radio, but I don't think anybody takes it seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only one speaker? No stereo w/o headphones?

What is with those awful separated buttons instead of a d-pad?

FAIL

lulzfish said:
second exodous said:
Does anyone listen to radio
No, not that I'm aware of.
Well, my mom listens to talk radio and my friend listens to pop songs on the radio, but I don't think anybody takes it seriously.
I think you're being sarcastic, but that is why Apple has never put radio in their devices, no one takes it seriously anymore. Apple replaced talk shows with pod casts and you can rip or buy all the pop music you want, and the best part is no advertisements and you can pause, rewind, fast forward, or listen to it again.

Actually this and Tivo like recorders have ruined me, I just don't see the point of sitting through advertisements to hear/see what I want, I will actually buy the media up front to avoid it.

I'm surprised that they didn't throw in infra-red too as an additional connectivity method.
tongue.gif

second exodous said:
that is why Apple has never put radio in their devices, no one takes it seriously anymore. Apple replaced talk shows with pod casts and you can rip or buy all the pop music you want
The latest version of the Nano has an FM radio. It allows you to pause a live broadcast, but not permanently save it. The latest iphone and ipod touch are technically capable of receiving FM radio, androumor has it that a radio app may be on the way. I don't find much value in FM radio, but someone at apple obviously does.

Chip said:
second exodous said:
that is why Apple has never put radio in their devices, no one takes it seriously anymore. Apple replaced talk shows with pod casts and you can rip or buy all the pop music you want
The latest version of the Nano has an FM radio. It allows you to pause a live broadcast, but not permanently save it. The latest iphone and ipod touch are technically capable of receiving FM radio, androumor has it that a radio app may be on the way. I don't find much value in FM radio, but someone at apple obviously does.
Nooo, I was convinced that pod casts killed the radio star! Well, with nano they are aiming low, it's their 'budget' player, or do they have one without a screen now? As far as an app that enables radio on their flagship music players I could see that, there are a few people that will want it, but I'm sure they don't want to cheapen their image on those devices and enable it by default.

second exodous said:
This might sound silly, but any device that has FM Radio support I steer clear of. In my mind it just means that the device is so crappy that they tack that on as just another added feature. Does anyone listen to radio on a device that can play digital music?

Fm radio is a great feature. Specially with multitasking.

FM Radio in an MP3 player is pretty handy when you're on a 6-month+ hike in the woods!

Username said:
second exodous said:
Well, with nano they are aiming low, it's their 'budget' player, or do they have one without a screen now?
Uh, they've had one without a screen for quite a while now. In fact, it's was out more than two years before the nano.
I think the latest Shuffles don't even have controls. You literally put music on it, turn it on, and hope that you don't want to hear any one specific song.\

Back