Using Pykaraoke...some Songs Studder..why?

drwr said:
We just officially released PyKaraoke version 0.6, which I believe should solve this problem nicely. Some compromises do remain on certain MIDI files; you may or may not find these compromises objectionable or even notice them.

Please try it out. You can download the latest from SourceForge, here: pykaraoke-0.6-gp2x.zip

David

Stilll studders. Drwr, will send you a file for you to test.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the new release :); unfortunately still getting midi playback problems with some files

Are the new problems the nature of missed notes? It turns out that some MIDI files are just too complex to play in real time on the GP2X's integer-based CPU, for the reasons I describe in the README file. In order to make these files not skip, I had to put an upper limit on the number of simultaneous notes that the MIDI software would attempt to synthesize at the same time. This limit seems to prevent skipping on all of the files I have tried it on, but now there's a different problem on some files: some notes just don't play at all, seemingly at random. This isn't so bad when the missing notes are in the background chords, but when it's a missing note in the middle of a vocal line, it sounds pretty weird.

Of course, these are karaoke files, and they are meant to be used as background music for someone's singing. They aren't intended to be listened to on their own. The vocal line, if it is present at all, is just meant as a cue to the singer; and if someone is actually singing the lyrics, you won't notice the missed notes in the cue line on the MIDI file so much. So I think it's not such a bad compromise.

Nevertheless, there are some workarounds possible, which I describe in the README file. I'm also working on some other ideas as well.

Haven't received any sample problem files yet.

David

Back