Usb Problem In Lunux

Rayek

Recovering Sega Addict
I am converting my system to linux soon, once I get a bigger harddrive... actually I plan on keeping windows on the system for some games I can't get rid of...

i've heard that windows has trouble recognizing the sd card inserted into the gp2x.. is it the same way for linux?

i'm planning on using linux for all my gp2x transfers... is it necessarily easier, or are there less problems?

linux ultra noob, so be nice

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-40762...light-gp2x.html
Take a look at that thread.

I run linux full time, and emulate Windows with VMWare when i need to write VB.Net apps for school.
I imagine it would mount better than windows. Just compile your kernel with the proper usb modules, and modprobe them and all should be well.

Also, using linux will probably give you way more community support with all the linux forums that are out there.

And i will have my GP2X soon (xmass day to be exact), so you can always ask me for support with the GP2X.

thanks so much for the link! ia so an ultra noob that the words 'compile', 'kernel', and 'modprobe' mean nothing to me. it's only a matter if time though, i'm sure.

edit: this is the gentoo forums, and i wouldn't ask this question until the topic poster specifically said the word 'gentoo'... does it matter what distro you've chosen?

mandriva... it was sold to me pretty well... it seems to be the best, and i looked at gentoo, ubuntu, and suse, and it seemed to have a good balance of advanced/noob features, so i could use it for a variety of applications.

Rayek posted on Dec 2 2005 at 08:39 AM said:
thanks so much for the link! ia so an ultra noob that the words 'compile', 'kernel', and 'modprobe' mean nothing to me. it's only a matter if time though, i'm sure.

edit: this is the gentoo forums, and i wouldn't ask this question until the topic poster specifically said the word 'gentoo'... does it matter what distro you've chosen?

Well, if you're starting linux I don't really recommend to begin with Gentoo. It can get pretty complicated if you don't know what you're doing. Maybe you should start with Ubuntu or Mandriva aka Mandrake. Those are easier to get into, I think. Some may disagree.
I've been using SuSE for years, but started with Mandrake and Red Hat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rayek posted on Dec 2 2005 at 08:20 AM said:
i've heard that windows has trouble recognizing the sd card inserted into the gp2x.. is it the same way for linux?

I'm running debian, unstable and the kernel is not recognizing the partition table told from the gp2x.. (looks like not formatted or a destroyed partition table).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back