Dynamism's Andlinux Poc1 Released!

LordDavon

Dynamism's andLinux is a complete Linux development system that runs completely from Windows NT (NT, 2000, XP, etc...) based systems without the need to reboot. andLinux (working development name) is based on CoLinux, Xming, Debian and many other technologies that allow Linux and Windows to work together in a single environment. Although mostly untested, andLinux comes with a GP2X development environment.

The current version is ProofOfConcept 1. For more information and download links, please head to the GP2X Wiki: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/AndLinux

I am updating the wiki page with solutions to issues. So far, it seems that once it is running, it is stable and running solid.

David

Eolair posted on Dec 15 2005 at 05:25 PM said:
Cool, I have to give this one a go :)

So far, all of the feedback I have heard had been very positive. There are a few issues and I have added the work-arounds to the web page.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
LordDavon posted on Dec 16 2005 at 06:37 AM said:

So far, all of the feedback I have heard had been very positive. There are a few issues and I have added the work-arounds to the web page.

David

Could we set up a torrent for this once it becomes more solid.

This took me ages to download.

(will try once soon, and give feedback)

icurafu posted on Dec 15 2005 at 09:33 PM said:
LordDavon posted on Dec 16 2005 at 06:37 AM said:

David

Could we set up a torrent for this once it becomes more solid.

This took me ages to download.

(will try once soon, and give feedback)

Going to do one for this version once I can get my system setup to for it. The project is a little more popular then I expected. I haven't seen much feedback in the forums or chat, but my Inbox has flooded.

David

Is this like an alternative to cygwin? Are they entirely different? Is one better than the other?

Is this like an alternative to cygwin? Are they entirely different? Is one better than the other?

The difference here is that cygwin emulates the look and feel of linux and, correct me if i'm wrong on this, the programs are limited as they are sort of ported to windows. This on the other hand is an actual linux environment that will me able to run the majority of linux applications without many problems.

To the best of my knowledge, CoLinux allows the Linux kernel to run as an individual threaded-process under windows. In some ways it performs better than virtualization software (VirtualPC and VMWare)

I had a running gentoo environment that I built from scratch and it ran as though windows was not even there.

About the difference between colinux and cygwin... cygwin attempts to link unix and windows at the library (and occasionally application level, in the case of X). Colinux actually has a modified linux kernel that uses windows for its devices, so it's probably a bit more of a uniform environment in that it runs true linux binaries and libraries and such. Cygwin actually uses win32 binaries that have been linked against win32 unix dll's, and I'd imagine more programs have issues being compiled like this.

One thing I've always wanted to see was a colinux kernel included on knoppix cd's, such that you can try out everything from inside windows, or by rebooting from the cd...

narmak posted on Dec 16 2005 at 04:22 AM said:

The difference here is that cygwin emulates the look and feel of linux and, correct me if i'm wrong on this, the programs are limited as they are sort of ported to windows. This on the other hand is an actual linux environment that will me able to run the majority of linux applications without many problems.

This is a really good, quick explaination. Cygwin is a good product, but this is just a different way of doing things.

Thank you.

David

LordDavon posted on Dec 14 2005 at 09:00 PM said:
Dynamism's andLinux is a complete Linux development system that runs completely from Windows NT (NT, 2000, XP, etc...) based systems without the need to reboot. andLinux (working development name) is based on CoLinux, Xming, Debian and many other technologies that allow Linux and Windows to work together in a single environment. Although mostly untested, andLinux comes with a GP2X development environment.

The current version is ProofOfConcept 1. For more information and download links, please head to the GP2X Wiki: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/AndLinux

I downloaded and it fired it up and the Xming and backend process appeared
but I never got the shell window. I waited at least half an hour just
to be sure. I am using XP. Any ideas on what might have gone wrong?

At one point Microsoft AntiSpyware asked me if it should block it but I
told it not to.

Thanks.

gguser posted on Dec 23 2005 at 06:21 PM said:

told it not to.

Thanks.

Make sure to follow the install instructions at the wiki site. You need to extract it to c:\ (this will place the files in c:\and_gp2x) and run the run_to_install.bat file in order for it to run in its present state.

The next version will include the installer which will correct the need for the fixed location and will automatically install the driver.

Also, make sure you have at least 192MB free. If not, edit the settings.txt file and lower the mem= requirement to 128MB. I did run it with 64MB on my daughters laptop, but it is a 1.3GB Pentium M with 256MB and is a really slow machine. Let's just say that it was a pretty bad enviroment for this tool.

David

LordDavon posted on Dec 23 2005 at 02:30 PM said:
Dynamism's andLinux is a complete Linux development system that runs completely from Windows NT (NT, 2000, XP, etc...)  based systems without the need to reboot.  andLinux (working development name) is based on CoLinux, Xming, Debian and many other technologies that allow Linux and Windows to work together in a single environment.  Although mostly untested, andLinux comes with a GP2X development environment.

The current version is ProofOfConcept 1.  For more information and download links, please head to the GP2X Wiki: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/AndLinux

told it not to.

Thanks.

Make sure to follow the install instructions at the wiki site. You need to extract it to c:\ (this will place the files in c:\and_gp2x) and run the run_to_install.bat file in order for it to run in its present state.

The next version will include the installer which will correct the need for the fixed location and will automatically install the driver.

Also, make sure you have at least 192MB free. If not, edit the settings.txt file and lower the mem= requirement to 128MB. I did run it with 64MB on my daughters laptop, but it is a 1.3GB Pentium M with 256MB and is a really slow machine. Let's just say that it was a pretty bad enviroment for this tool.

David

Some more info. I did extract to c:\ and ran run_to_install.bat
as described in Wiki. My machine has 512 MB of RAM and is a 1.2 GHz
Pentium III Mobile Dell laptop.

I tried it again redirecting output of startup.bat and discovered this
find: IP Address: No such file or directory

which I tracked down to have a find.exe in my path (maybe from
Cygwin?) I added these lines to the top of the startup.bat file:

setlocal
path C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

and

endlocal

to the bottom.

That did make the find: error go away but I am still not getting
the shell prompt.

gguser posted on Dec 24 2005 at 12:50 AM said:

told it not to.

Thanks.

David

setlocal

and

endlocal

to the bottom.

the shell prompt.

Open colinux-console-fltk.exe in the and_gp2x folder and let me know what error you see.

David

LordDavon posted on Dec 24 2005 at 02:07 AM said:
Dynamism's andLinux is a complete Linux development system that runs completely from Windows NT (NT, 2000, XP, etc...)  based systems without the need to reboot.  andLinux (working development name) is based on CoLinux, Xming, Debian and many other technologies that allow Linux and Windows to work together in a single environment.  Although mostly untested, andLinux comes with a GP2X development environment.

The current version is ProofOfConcept 1.  For more information and download links, please head to the GP2X Wiki: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/AndLinux

told it not to.

Thanks.

David

setlocal

and

endlocal

to the bottom.

the shell prompt.

Open colinux-console-fltk.exe in the and_gp2x folder and let me know what error you see.

David

gguser posted on Dec 24 2005 at 05:14 AM said:
LordDavon posted on Dec 24 2005 at 02:07 AM said:

told it not to.

Thanks.

David

setlocal

and

endlocal

to the bottom.

the shell prompt.

David

This was output:

in Windows
/usr/bin/sux: line 213: xauth: command not found
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
xlib: connection to "192.168.114.1:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: 192.168.114.1:0.0
Starting Terminal Session in Windows

... then above repeat ...

INIT: Id "C0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

However, now I seem to be getting somewhere. I
pressed Enter and got a login prompt! I logged in
as root and got logged in!

So I guess the trick is that I have to manually enter

colinux-console-fltk.exe

This was output:

in Windows
/usr/bin/sux: line 213: xauth: command not found
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
xlib: connection to "192.168.114.1:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: 192.168.114.1:0.0
Starting Terminal Session in Windows

... then above repeat ...

INIT: Id "C0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

However, now I seem to be getting somewhere. I
pressed Enter and got a login prompt! I logged in
as root and got logged in!

So I guess the trick is that I have to manually enter

colinux-console-fltk.exe

No. colinux-console-fltk is used as a debug console in andLinux. This is not a console that you can use to develop in andLinux.

The issue is that either you have multiple IP addresses set on your machine (see the work-around section of the wiki), or you have a firewall blocking the communication between andLinux and Windows.

Don't worry, we are getiing close. This is something that I probably need to cover in the work-around section so I appreciate the help in tracking the issue.

David

Back