Rename Andlinux

What, if anything, should we rename andLinux to?

• andLinux (no change)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • InHandLinux

• DevLinux

• RebootlessLinux

• versaLin

• Other

• Total voters

LordDavon

The name andLinux cames from Google. When first searching for other free projects like this (there aren't any), Google kept coming up with pages with either andLinux (due to typos) and _and_ Linux. This is where the idea started. andLinux represents using Windows and Linux at the same time. Hance, I have been using it as the name while in development.

I know people don't like the name, but then again I can't seem to think of a Linux distro with a great name (Ubuntu, MEPIS, etc...) except for maybe Damn Small Linux.

Since andLinux is being designed for modular/pluggable development environments, I would like to stay away from anything specific to the GP2X in the name (but being able to attach it to builds like andGP2X), even though it is designed for GP2X and Zaurus development first and foremost. I also would like to design it to optionally become a stand-alone system for people to run Linux servers or test Linux in Windows, without changing the name.

Please give input and feel free to add suggestions when selecting Other.

David
a.k.a LordDavon

P.S. I prefer keeping the name the same (first vote) since it is already making news as andLinux, but the users should decide this. It is your tool afterall.

I think you should call it DavionLinux or LDinux.

Or LinInWinThing.

Or AbominationLinux

Or LazyMan Linux

Or...............

I think maybe you should just stick with AndLinux if that's what you like. At the very least it makes people read your posts twice when you say things like "... and and linux does this"

This is interesting. Thank you everyone for the votes and suggestions. Keep them coming.

I am not able to edit the poll options, so please make sure to use the forum if you like some of the suggestions.

David

nubie posted on Dec 21 2005 at 06:01 PM said:
How about Linux on Demand?

maybe shortened to LXOD.

I like it :)

Maybe AndLinux on Demand.

shortened to ALOD.

I really liked this one so I flew over to google. IBM and Computer Associates already use the name. I tried looking at variations like On Demand Linux and that is used too.

Great suggestion though!

David

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie posted on Dec 21 2005 at 07:01 PM said:
How about Linux on Demand?

maybe shortened to LXOD.

I like it :)

Maybe AndLinux on Demand.

shortened to ALOD.
Linux On Demand sounds good, but shortened to LOD (LXOD is not really easy to pronounce ;) )

aapje89 posted on Dec 21 2005 at 06:10 PM said:
Linux On Demand sounds good, but shortened to LOD (LXOD is not really easy to pronounce ;) )

It sucks that it is used. This was a great name!

David

There are even big tv-ads from ibm with "linux on demand"-text. :>

Digitalrat posted on Dec 21 2005 at 11:17 AM said:
There are even big tv-ads  from ibm with "linux on demand"-text. :>

Damn, I guess TV advertising does work.

how about

AndLinux on Top

ALOP or ALP or ALXP

I think it is cool, and it is a double entendre, like most other linux names.

Whoops!!

ALOT or ALT or ALXT

I really like ALT, it winds out to a triple entendre :D

Blah posted on Dec 21 2005 at 07:08 PM said:
No Boot Linux = NBL = Nooble (or Noble, Nobel, Nibble, Noobli, Nobli, etc).

I was actually tossing this idea around, but the system does boot. That is where I came up with norebootLinux. norebootLinux doesn't really cature the essence of Linux running in Windows though.

Linux On Demand captures the heart of the project. I think andLinux does this to an extent also. I am still kicking myself that Linux On Demand is used.

I have a buddy that works at IBM. He runs the group that takes Linux ideas and tries to implement them. I should bounce some ideas off of him also.

David

skeezix posted on Dec 21 2005 at 07:30 PM said:
Plugix? :)

jeff

It does capture the modular idea. Just sounds a little funny. Interested in hearing what people think about it though. It may work as another option.

What I should have done is opened a thread asking for name suggestions and then put those up for vote. It seems that no matter how bald I get, the remaining hairs are still blonde. ;-)

David

ALT Linux already exists: http://www.altlinux.com/

ALOT is available and if the name stays andLinux, that could be an abbreviation for a dev bundle. I don't want it to get confused with ALT Linux though.

David

Back