USB port ceased reading data for no reason!

FaeMinx

Rainbow Liberation Instigation
Something very troubling just happened!

I was in the process of copying some files from a USB Flash drive to one of the SD cards in my Pandora, when I got an error proclaiming the drive couldn't be read. It didn't show up in Thunar at all.

I tried a number of other usb drives (that all worked before) to no effect.

I rebooted my Pandora. Still nothing.

I plugged in some speakers that are powered via usb - and the speakers received power.

I plugged in my hub and the light came on, but still - no drives appeared when inserted into the ports.

I plugged in my mouse... nothing.

So my USB port is sending out power, but isn't reading any data.

Is this a hardware failure? :(

If so, then this is tragic as I only just got my Pandora back from RMA. :(

(ED actually managed to get my Pandora shipped back to this country before Christmas, but it's been sitting with my Father untill he traveled up to Coffee Bay just under a week ago to visit me. And no, he didn't open the package.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that sometimes a USB device can crash the USB system, so maybe a reboot isn't resetting it enough? It's a long shot but you could try leaving the battery out for 20 minutes, then try again.

It's often enough to just shutdown pandora and boot it again to recover (reboot doesn't fully reinit the hardware), but in some cases you need to take out the battery, yeah.

Maybe try to boot up OP only with AC [without battery inside] just to make sure

Yep, happened to me a few times as well. Removing the unit from battery AND AC (so it's not powered) sometimes seems to be the only way to fix this.

My USB has never worked since I got the device, with anything! Hope this hasn't happened to your unit too

try REAL USB 2.0 dongle [most pendrives / mices / other uses USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 in compatible USB 1.1 mode = that will not work..].

Ok, disaster averted.

Unplugging from AC and taking out the battery did the trick.

The first time I rebooted it was still connected to AC, so that's probably why the hardware wasn't fully reinitialized.

That same drive (microSD USB Card reader + 8GB microSD) created the same problem when reinserted. Strange because the card reads fine on my laptop.

Interestingly, another microSD USB Card reader + 4GB has also failed, but this one won't even read on my laptop.

My final microSD USB Card reader +1GB (that I use as a swap drive) works just fine.

I'm now going to try format that first card and see what happens... But it's very strange.

I've just learned what (I think) the problem is: If you use an USB1.1 device, the USB stack or something crashes, and won't speak to the pandora again until after a proper restart. My guess is that that card reader is USB1.1.

Back