Usb Help And Wifi Question.

Joepostal

Still Fresh
So far everything I have plugged into the usb A port has not worked. I plugged in several things including usb to ethernet, usb to serial, a couple usb flash drives and a usb hdd. I don't get any message in dmesg when I plug things in. I did modprobe -a pl2303 for the prolific usb serial port and I see the driver listed correctly with lsmod. On my linux laptop dmesg shows the driver connect but I see nothing on the Pandora...

I did find in startup settings and enabled "usb networking" but that didn't help. I am certain power is coming out since the usb ethernet light comes on but no new interfaces show up.

I also seem to be missing the menu option for mass storage mode for the OTG port.

My wireless connection with the new driver only runs at about 25KBps any ideas what to do here?

Thanks,
Joe

If the first thing you plugged in was not a high speed device (ie, typically not USB2.0) then the USB host has crashed and nothing else will work after it. When that happens, you need to power down and restart in order to get it to work again. When the host has crashed, power will still flow out of the port, you just can't communicate with it.

The "usb networking" you see is networking via the OTG port, allowing you to plug the Pandora into your computer and, if your computer has the right drivers, leach off its network that way.

For the mass storage mode, where did you look? It should be in the menu, System, SD-Mass Storage. It's possible it is disabled when you enabled the USB networking. If you don't see it where I've described, try turning the usb networking off again. You don't need it.

The wifi is an ongoing problem. Try changing the channel on your router and see if that makes any difference: 11 or 6 seem to work best for many people, but no guarantees there; you'll have to experiment to see if there's a difference.
Also security seems to cause some people problems: some people have issues with WEP, others with WPA. For now, try connecting without any security and see if it improves anything at all.

Thanks Wizardstan, I have two Pandoras. I tried the same thing on the other one and I got messages in dmesg about the USB serial device, I shut down and pulled the battery on the non-working one and I still don't see any messages when I plug the prolific usb serial port in. I think the first one is somehow broken, although neither one shows anything when I type lsusb. Do working devices show up in lsusb? What would be the next step in determining if the usb port is bad?

As for Wifi I get low throughput on every access point... I have never seen 300KBps.

System, SD-Mass Storage :) I swear I looked at it 10 times and didn't see it, but it is right there.

The next step would be to shutting down completely, then trying the devices through a genuine USB 2 hub.

A prolific USB serial port reports as high speed. Still I need a hub so I will go get one and the other Pandora works so I am going to have to send the broken one back for testing...

Ok, I got a hub, on the good pandora the usb mouse plugged into the hub worked instantly, on the bad pandora the mouse did not work.

As well as dmesg showing some messages about usb on the good pandora and no messages on the bad one. Bummer... Going to be emailing Jacquelyn in a minute.

Just to be certain, this was from a completely cold boot, right? Complete shut down and restart?

Back