USB OTG port does not appear to be working.

For kicks I also tried connecting a USB hub to the OTG adapter,  and had my mouse, keyboard and MIDI keyboard all playing nicely together. :)

- Neelix
This is what I would like to do as well. So far, no joy. I am assuming the problem is my OTG cable which is a universal that I bought off eBay. It is a B rather than an A connector. When I plug my powered USB 2.0 hub (which works fine with the other USB port on the P) into the OTG adapter, I get nothing. I am watching dmesg, but frankly it is spewing so many messages it is hard to read. I have a USB keyboard, mouse and my Edimax USB wifi adapter plugged in to the hub. The keyboard and mouse should be USB 1.0, don't know about the wifi adapter. My hub does not even light. If I plug just my mouse into the OTG adapter, it has power, but does not function. Before I continue buying cables, I would like to pin down where I went wrong. USB networking is enabled at startup and USB host is enabled. Any assistance is appreciated.
The hub (if it is unpowerd) will not work on the USB OTG port. The USB OTG port only provides 100 mA of power, so unless the USB hub is externally powered, it will not work on the OTG port.

Also there is some interaction with the USB OTG port and enabling USB networking. Do a search to find out what you need to turn on to enable the USB OTG port to act as master.

Thanks. As my post says, I am using a powered USB hub (3.0 rather than 2.0) and USB networking service is enabled at startup. So my problem may be that the hub is USB 3.0 or my OTG cable.

Probably related thread, may provide you with some info.

In that thread notaz states, that EHCI drivers are yet not working as they should, but that there's not enough manpower for fixing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. As my post says, I am using a powered USB hub (3.0 rather than 2.0) and USB networking service is enabled at startup. So my problem may be that the hub is USB 3.0 or my OTG cable.
Do you have access to an Ohm meter?

Can you check if pins 4 and 5 are shorted together?

See this: http://tech2.in.com/how-to/accessories/how-to-make-your-own-usb-otg-cable-for-an-android-smartphone/319982

It shows a micro B, but the pinout is the same. A wee bit of searching would show the same kind thing for a mini-B connector.

Do you have access to an Ohm meter?

Can you check if pins 4 and 5 are shorted together?

See this: http://tech2.in.com/how-to/accessories/how-to-make-your-own-usb-otg-cable-for-an-android-smartphone/319982

It shows a micro B, but the pinout is the same. A wee bit of searching would show the same kind thing for a mini-B connector.
I have an Ohm meter. I'm not sure the probes are small enough to test something that small reliably, but I will see if I can rig something. Thanks.

It's possible. You need a couple of sewing pins and a steady hand.

I went ahead and bought the recommended adapter from EPO (N800) and it still doesn't work. I can't even get a mouse or keyboard to work with the OTG port. When I plug in the mouse, I get a VBUS error. Is my port bad or what is going on? Do I need to run something to enable the OTG port to run correctly? Right now I am using the menu and switching on the USB host.

You need a cold reboot to recover from VBUS error (or even battery remove for 5 min, I don't remember now).

You also need at least SuperZaxxon 1.54 to get various OTG related fixes.

USB networking is enabled at startup. I am running 1.54 and update pretty routinely. I shut down and removed the battery for several minutes. I powered up, ran a dmesg. I plugged in the OTG adapter, ran dmesg, no change. I plugged in the USB 3.0 powered hub, ran dmesg, a bunch of "new high speed USB device" messages followed by "device descriptor read/all, error -71" messages. I plugged in my Apple USB keyboard into port 1 of the hub and ran dmesg, no change. I unplugged the USB hub and ran dmesg, an "unhandled DISCONNECT" message, a "trying to suspend" message and a "new high-speed USB device number 34" message. I plugged my apple keyboard directly into the OTG adapter and ran dmesg, a series of "USB 1-1 new high speed device" and "can't connect bus-powered hub" messages. Yes, my apple keyboard has a single USB port. This is about the most asinine thing I've seen recently. Help. I don't have a problem buying what I need to buy, but the trial and error method is getting expensive.

Does the OTG port suffer from the inability to cope with empty hubs?

lingenfr: To test Binky's assumption:

Make sure USB networking is enabled. Then reboot.

First connect a USB device into your hub, then connect your hub to the Pandora OTG port.

(The order in which you dis/connect USB hubs/devices is sensitive on the Pandora, as reported for the USB host port at least)

Guys,

I appreciate the intent, but if you read back through the thread this ground has been covered. USB networking has been enabled since I started this thread. I have tried every combination empty, partially full and full. I am going to try and get a single device working with the OTG port before I move on to a hub.

I'll keep quite then.

I can't really help beyond the basic fixes already mentioned :unsure:

My problem is that I've got too many variables and can't work from a known good. I am going to keep trying devices until I find something that works. I am going to try memory sticks, etc. My frustration is that Neelix and it appears other have gotten a USB 2.0 hub to work, so why can't I. I'm not sure that limiting to USB 1.0 devices does much for me. I have to say that this is really chapping my arse.

I seem to recall urjaman mentioning on IRC that many unpowered USB 2 hubs incorrectly report themselves as self-powered. I would assume that my hub falls into that category, but yours does not. 

- Neelix

Works fine: USB OTG port <—1— OTGcable <—2— USB2hub <—3— USB1device
With the bootup service "Start USB network on bootup" activated, I dis/re-connected numerous times (~10times) at each juncture (1, 2, 3), and the USB1device always worked fine.  
The devices included in that successful setup:

OTG cable: cellePhone USB adapter cable OTG Mini-USB-B to USB-A

USB 2 hub: Digitus Slim Spider USB Hub

USB 1 device: Logitech Premium Optical Wheel Mouse M-BT58 (shop link)

Thanks Neelix. I have tried two different USB 3.0 powered hubs. No joy. I purchased one off the compatibility list. I am also going to dig through some of my old stuff in the garage to see what I can find.

OK. Just thought I would share. i bought the Belkin F5U701 (from the compatibility list) and now life is grand. My mouse, keyboard and wifi work. Tomorrow I will try my DL adapter. I assume that USB 3.0 hubs on the OTG port are a no-no or maybe just the model I have. Thanks to all for the discussion

Back