USB networking?

What cable do you use to plug Pandora? USB Mini-B ?

EDIT: see http://pandorawiki.org/USB#Links
The way I understand it, the USB Mini-A cables are used in host mode, as your PC cannot function as a slave device the Pandora will have to. Hence a USB A to Mini-B cable.

I haven't tried yet though, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong. It's on my todo list but time is a bit scarce right now.

Abridged version that works

On Pandora: Activate USB Network on the Pandora. Restart. Plug Pandora into PC. Open a terminal and type "sudo ifconfig usb0 up".

On PC: System->Preferences->Network Connection. Edit Auto usb0 (or possibly Auto Ethernet, in my experiments I ended up with both for some reason, probably because I screwed something up the first time), ipv4 settings, method=Shared to Other Computers. This should only have to be done once, then every time you plug in it'll "just work". If you don't see "Auto usb0" (or "Auto Ethernet") then you forgot to ifconfig usb0 up on the Pandora. Go back and make sure.

Back on Pandora: start a terminal and type "sudo dhclient usb0".

Badda bing badda boom, they're connected, you can ssh, samba, whatever between the two, and the Pandora can get online through it's USB port.

In the future, to get your Pandora to connect, just plug it in. You may need to open a terminal and type "sudo ifconfig usb0 up; sudo dhclient usb0" to actually bring up the network and then force it to renew it's dhcp license, especially after a reboot. Now that it's configured, simply unplugging it and later plugging it back in should "just work", but if it doesn't, that command should get things back to normal.

This be the great! I the approve!

Excellent. My pandora is so online over USB. This should be on the wiki.

I'm trying to get USB networking to work under Windows XP.

I've tried with both attached drivers (remove the .txt extension), but I haven't got it to work.

"This device cannot be started (Code 10)"

Has anyone got it working?

omap3-usbnet.inf.txt

Attachments

• linux.inf.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,289
  • omap3-usbnet.inf.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to get USB networking to work under Windows XP.

I've tried with both attached drivers (remove the .txt extension), but I haven't got it to work.

"This device cannot be started (Code 10)"

Has anyone got it working?

Maybe this will help:

[uClinux-dev] Can't get Gadget Serial driver to start on Windows XPPro

Please try to build the gadget serial driver as a module and install it
with enabled "use_acm" parameter :

insmod g_seria.ko use_acm=1

If what we use on the Pandora uses a similar serial driver, maybe we can tell it to use ACM as well, and it might work. I'd try it myself, but I'm not very familiar with handling kernel modules - can anyone post pointers?

EDIT: I went ahead and tried using modprobe to remove and install g_serial.ko with the parameter, but it says "device or resource busy".

EDIT 2: I found this:

I've found that the g_cdc module which Angstrom (2.6.32) loads by
default does not work with /etc/network/interfaces (usb0: link is not

ready), but the g_ether module does work.

I've not had this problem in Linux, but modprobing g_cdc out and 'probing g_ether (not g_serial - oops!) in does get Windows to respond better.

Which port(s) is(are) used for usb networking ?

Is it possible to connect 2 Pandoras with a usb cable ?

Hello,

I am trying to setup Samba to access the network that the PC's in my house are using. All are using Windows XP and can print to the same printer that is connected to one of the PC's. I would love to have my Pandora to be able to print also with the same printer and to be able to access shared files and folders. I would like some tips on how to set up Samba on the Pandora to help me do this. Infact, if some of you could post your smb.conf file, that would be great. And maybe a description of your PC system also. Thanks...

I'm not sure how to print to printers, but you can use Gigolo on the Pandora to connect to Samba shares :)

The mounts appear in the hidden .gvfs directory in your home dir.

I'm not sure how to print to printers, but you can use Gigolo on the Pandora to connect to Samba shares :)

The mounts appear in the hidden .gvfs directory in your home dir.

Thanks alot for the tip. I will look into this Gigolo.

The firmware seems to be build in such a way that printing is next to impossible. With a different distro, is should be easy to set up though.

Okj I have found Gigolo and it a great program. Do not now how I missed it. However, I am trying to connect to a workgroup that is on the PC, but Gigolo wants me to enter in a password. Is this something I have to set up in Samba?

I've been trying to craft a udev ruleset to automate the whole process of bringing up usb0 but I've been stymied by both the Pandora-side and host-side MAC addresses being randomized on every reboot or switch into SD Mass Storage mode.

I'm also having trouble getting the on-connect rule to actually trigger even though it looks like udev should be matching whenever a state change results in ATTR{operstate}=="up" or ATTR{carrier}=="1". (They're essentially equivalent in this case)

I'll probably set it aside for a while to work on other, more productive stuff, but I'll let you guys know if I run across a solution.

Okj I have found Gigolo and it a great program. Do not now how I missed it. However, I am trying to connect to a workgroup that is on the PC, but Gigolo wants me to enter in a password. Is this something I have to set up in Samba?

If im not mistaken this is the password for the computer that you are trying to gain access to, if there is no password see if you can just leave it blank. Could be wrong, though, but i do know thats how you can do somethin in Gigolo. :p

I've been trying to craft a udev ruleset to automate the whole process of bringing up usb0 but I've been stymied by both the Pandora-side and host-side MAC addresses being randomized on every reboot or switch into SD Mass Storage mode.

I'm also having trouble getting the on-connect rule to actually trigger even though it looks like udev should be matching whenever a state change results in ATTR{operstate}=="up" or ATTR{carrier}=="1". (They're essentially equivalent in this case)
Why not just use /etc/network/interfaces for this? This works fine for me.

I've been trying to craft a udev ruleset to automate the whole process of bringing up usb0 but I've been stymied by both the Pandora-side and host-side MAC addresses being randomized on every reboot or switch into SD Mass Storage mode. I'm also having trouble getting the on-connect rule to actually trigger even though it looks like udev should be matching whenever a state change results in ATTR{operstate}=="up" or ATTR{carrier}=="1". (They're essentially equivalent in this case)
Why not just use /etc/network/interfaces for this? This works fine for me.

On the Pandora or on the host?

On the host side, I could see that working but all my experience with setting up packet forwarding is using OpenBSD's pf packet filter on either OpenBSD or FreeBSD, so I'm a bit skittish about trying to replicate nm-applet's "Shared to other computers" on my own.

On the Pandora side, it seems to work at least as poorly as my udev rules. Possibly worse.

The key point on the Pandora side is that, if I don't reset dhclient on connection of a physical cable, then it can take several minutes for the previous DHCP broadcast to time out and for it to try again. What determines whether an interface shows up in the network manager applet?

If im not mistaken this is the password for the computer that you are trying to gain access to, if there is no password see if you can just leave it blank. Could be wrong, though, but i do know thats how you can do somethin in Gigolo. :p

I tried using the password that my has to get to her desktop, but that does not work. Should I set that up in Samba and if so, how? If anyone has a working samba config file, please post it. I thinkj I just need an example to workj with. Thanks....

Most of the tutorials of Gigolo that I have read mention a "network" tab to get things started, but I am not seeing this when I bring up Gigolo. Anyone else having this problem or have seen the "network" tab?

Click View, and enable the Side Panel.

Mind you, I've yet to be able to successfully run a shared folder scan from the version of gigolo included in SuperZaxxon.

- Neelix

Click View, and enable the Side Panel.

Mind you, I've yet to be able to successfully run a shared folder scan from the version of gigolo included in SuperZaxxon.

- Neelix

Yes, I have done that and I do not see the network tab. I do see the workgroup I have set up though. Gigolo tries to connect to it and then bring s up the screen that asks for the password. Maybe an update is in order. We have 0.3.2 and there is a 0.4.1 on the net. Anyhow, I will keep trying. Thanks for the advice...

Back