MTP driver inc in USB Host drivers?

MarioPandio

Hi,

Does the drivers for the usb host port on the Pandora include an MTP driver? 

I´m trying to check if my Kindle fire HD will transfer files with the Pandora and apparently an MTP driver is required for Linux systems to recognise the Kindle as a valid Mass Storage Device.  It´s not working on my Win7 PC and I´m trying to check it on Pandora to see if it´s the Kindle or PC at fault.

I'd throw a guess that we dont have MTP "drivers" in the OS ('sudo opkg list-installed | grep mtp' lists nothing actually related to MTP) - it seems that those are just userspace tools (plus a FUSE driver to mount, but still userspace) to access the device. So you will not get a block device anyways, just file send/receive/list commands (or the like). I'd suggest you use some other linux pc if you want to have MTP working easily, but I'd guess it is possible to get them on the Pandora...

Note: as a reference for MTP support in linux I checked out the archlinux wiki article which has a good list of packages & options in use (maybe worth a fast look even if you dont use arch):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MTP

Thank you for your insight urjaman, I will check your link as well. The kindle site is very vague about Linux usb transfer tools in its support section and simply says Linux users will need to install an mtp driver.

My kindle is fine it seems, as it works fine on a friend's laptop with same OS win7 HP 64bit but on mine it will charge only, as with pandora.

Real annoying, as you can't side load or root it without it being recognised correctly for usb transfer. Stops you even installing the Google market to get emus or gamekeyboard to allow an icp to work. Grr..

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, couldn't access files from a Nexus 4 from MTP, and bluetooth file transfer was kind of wonky. Had to connect the phone to a PC and copied files to a flash drive that I then connected to the Pandora. Would've been easier if the phone had a microSD slot as I could just put that in one of my adapters. :)

I just run an FTP server app on my phone or tablet and then transfer stuff that way.

Back