USB networking?

Hrm... That's a good point. I use version 0.4.0 on my netbook and that *does* have a network tab on the side bar, that's the tab containing the work group view. The equivalent in the pandora version would appear to be the icon that looks like two monitors. Since I've never been able to switch to the bookmark view in the pandora version I can't confirm that hypothesis.

In any case I agree that an update would be a good thing, the main issue would appear to be that 0.3.2 seems to be the latest version in the Angstrom feeds. I did find the git with the 0.4.1 source though, here.

- Neelix

This version we have does work well though. Like I said my workgroup does come. Gigolo automatically brings it up when I load the program and then it tries to sign on. I just need to find out the WORKGROUP password and I think I get eveything to come up. I know how to bring up the WORKGROUP password in Windows 7, but the PCs in house XP and I have not yet been able to find this out. If anyone know how to access the XP WORKGROUP password, please let me know here. Thanks all.

Well I was online with a Microsoft tech and I was asking him about the password that Gigolo was asking me for and he said that it was a Network password. The main computer of my 3 computer PC network is my wife's and she has a password that me must sign on with in order for the computer to come. The tech said that is the password that is needed. I tried that one and it did not work. I think I may talk to some Gigolo expert.

On the samba side I am making progress. The PC's can see the Pandora, but I cannot bring up any of the files on the Pandora on the PCs. I am being told that I do not have permission to access anything. I need to adjust my samba config file a little bit.... Still, just to see the network ID of the Pandora on the PCs is a thrill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a networked hard drive which has a username and password set. I have been able to get a list of resources on the workgroup without issue in Gigolo 0.4.0. I have not been able to see more than the workgroup name under gigolo 0.3.2 on the pandora even after entering what I know to be the correct username and password.

- Neelix

Edit: I have been able to successfully use gigolo to establish sftp connections from either end, which is currently my preferred way of sharing files across the network.

I have a networked hard drive which has a username and password set. I have been able to get a list of resources on the workgroup without issue in Gigolo 0.4.0. I have not been able to see more than the workgroup name under gigolo 0.3.2 on the pandora even after entering what I know to be the correct username and password.

- Neelix

Edit: I have been able to successfully use gigolo to establish sftp connections from either end, which is currently my preferred way of sharing files across the network.

Yep that is exactly my problem. Don't know what password to enter in. Know it seems Gigolo accesses the workgroup name from my wireless router. I have a networked drive that has my PC workgroup name in it's settings. Whenever I just that name, that is the name that appears in gigolo. I really do not know what password I would have to enter in order to get things to pop up.

Well I finally got samba to work on the Pandora. I follwed the directions on how to set it up and was kept being told by the PC's in my house that I was not allowed to access the samba share. It was very frustrating to have the pandora samba icon appear on the PC's and not be allowed in. I finally checked the samba LOG files and from that I was able to get it working. Seems there is a bug in the version of samba we have. I had to add a line to the GLOBAL area - "smbports = 445". This fixed the "Transport endpoint not connected" error. Seems samba was trying to connect through two ports at one time. Then I elminated the "hosts allow" statement which then got it to work. With the path I have set I can now bring up all my files on my Pandora including any USB drives I have hooked up, on any PC in my house. File transfer could never easier. This is just great. Now I just have to get Gigolo to work, but I do think we need to upgrade to the newer 4.1 version.

It looks like everything to coming together all at once. I was able to get Gigolo workling. I had thought that I had Gnome services activated, but I had not. Once I adjusting the settings of the startup of the Pandora I was able to connect and mount my wife's shares on her computer. I then saved this as a bookmark. Now I can set up bookmarks for the other computers on my home network. I still cannot conect using the Network side panel. No matter what password I use, nothings works. That is ok for now.

*gravedigging*

For those people that don't get any new connection for usb0 in their PC's Network Manager: Just create a new cable connection, it seems to somehow automagically assign usb0 to it, which worked after setting it to shared and asking for a new address via dhclient on my Pandora.

Back