Usb Doesn't Work

grzywacz

Still Fresh
Website
jabba.pl
Hi, I've just received my gp2x :) and started playing with it. Everything seems to work fine so far, except from usb. When I connect my console to the computer (using the GPH "certified" usb cable) I get following errors printed by the kernel:

hub 1-0:1.0: connect-debounce failed, port 1 disabled

This message repeats itself about once every second. I've tried connecting it to another computer, but with no luck. Could this be a faulty cable? Any clues? :(

grzywacz posted on Sep 1 2006 at 01:10 PM said:
Hi, I've just received my gp2x :) and started playing with it. Everything seems to work fine so far, except from usb. When I connect my console to the computer (using the GPH "certified" usb cable) I get following errors printed by the kernel:

hub 1-0:1.0: connect-debounce failed, port 1 disabled

This message repeats itself about once every second. I've tried connecting it to another computer, but with no luck. Could this be a faulty cable? Any clues? :(

This USB cable came with the console is famous for it's incompatiblity.....
I got my gp2x yesterday as well and I've already read so many complaints about it .....

This cable works with my workplace PC (Intel chipset, P3 etc) but doesnt work with my home one (VIA,AMD)... and no one knows what is the exact problem.

Your best bid is to get a SD card reader...
Fortunately I got a spare (random) USB cable and pluged the GP2X in and it works at home last nite!!!
all the best~

P.S. I got the same problem as you described using the cable shipped with the gp2x...

Last edited by a moderator:
i get this, when i try and connect it to my work comp or laptop, it works fine, but when i try and connect it to my home comp, nothing happens, its really quite odd. :huh:

a cable is a cable surely, it has a plug on both ends, bits of wire in the middle and elecricity runs through it, how can it have problems with compatability? <_<

bernwa posted on Sep 1 2006 at 02:09 PM said:
i get this, when i try and connect it to my work comp or laptop, it works fine, but when i try and connect it to my home comp, nothing happens, its really quite odd. :huh:

a cable is a cable surely, it has a plug on both ends, bits of wire in the middle and elecricity runs through it, how can it have problems with compatability? <_<

by experimentation, one cable works, one doesnt, nothing else changed.
Hence, there's something wrong with the one that doesnt work and the 2 cables are somehow different, right?

I dont know the actually detail, but yes, there are "good" USB cables and "bad" ones if you ask around.
And there are 1.0,1.1,2.0 compatability (and more).... but a standard one should cover all..............

anyway, ... happy gp2x... and I'd liek to find out why as well... :(

[/quote]
Fortunately I got a spare (random) USB cable and pluged the GP2X in and it works at home last nite!!!
[/quote]

Do you mind me asking where you got the spare cable from, as I am having the same trouble and the GP2X side of the USB cable doesnt look compatible with anything else ??

you reds posted on Sep 2 2006 at 03:25 PM said:

Do you mind me asking where you got the spare cable from, as I am having the same trouble and the GP2X side of the USB cable doesnt look compatible with anything else ??

Buy a card reader! If you really want USB however (for networking), it's a USB B mini to USB regular.

Ok, I bought myself a card reader and the cable I got with the *reader* works just fine - I can connect gp2x with my computer just fine using it. :eek: Too bad I've decided to spend more money on the official crap...

Shikaku posted on Sep 2 2006 at 08:34 PM said:
Buy a card reader! If you really want USB however (for networking), it's a USB B mini to USB regular.

Well, I haven't 'quite' got a card reader, but I find it works perfectly when I put the SD card into my printers card slot (even if it is a little on the slow side). Possibly a bit unorthodox, but it'll do for now.

Thanks for the info on the USB cable anyway.

you reds posted on Sep 2 2006 at 07:25 PM said:
Huh? i have 6 devices which use that cable. PSP, GP2X, Digicam, Harddisk MP3 player, Cardreader, MP4 player...

Its a standard USB to mini usb cable. You can buy it everywhere

Fishbong posted on Sep 4 2006 at 01:55 PM said:
Huh? i have 6 devices which use that cable. PSP, GP2X, Digicam, Harddisk MP3 player, Cardreader, MP4 player...

Well, good for you ! I havent got anything else similar, hence the (IMO) valid question.

Opened my GP2X box earlier about 4:30pm on getting home from work.

Usual USB problem so I tried the one from my didgtal camera and it works great.

Will try the GP2X lead with my camera and see what happens!

Brand new Unit.

Just tried it. Sure enough, problems with the USB.

Swapped the cable, instant success.

Cool, at least it's an easy fix. 'tho I'll probably get a card reader ASAP anyway, for speed. (they are faster, right?)

Mac

Macguyver posted on Sep 12 2006 at 04:15 AM said:
I'll probably get a card reader ASAP anyway, for speed. (they are faster, right?)
From what I hear they are a lot faster. I wouldn't know because my usb didn't work even with a new cable :rolleyes:

Back