Usb Doesn't Work From Mains?

hornett

Still Fresh
Hello all,

I've just got a GP2X and so far it's been great apart from one thing: USB.

When it's running from batteries, USB works really nicely, with networking or access to SD.

Running from the power supply (the one from Argos, recommended on the wiki) the USB appears to do nothing, although plugging it into my Linux machine gives the kernel message "USB: Unable to debounce".

Anybody have any ideas?

I tried a search but didn't come up with anything that seemed to match.

Cheers,
Andy. B)

PS. Running Firmware 2.1.0

I guess this is new, never heard of usb recognition problem that can be solved when using the batteries instead of the power supply.

Hello all,

I've just got a GP2X and so far it's been great apart from one thing: USB.

When it's running from batteries, USB works really nicely, with networking or access to SD.

Running from the power supply (the one from Argos, recommended on the wiki) the USB appears to do nothing, although plugging it into my Linux machine gives the kernel message "USB: Unable to debounce".

Anybody have any ideas?

I tried a search but didn't come up with anything that seemed to match.

Cheers,
Andy. B)

PS. Running Firmware 2.1.0

I'm having the same problem, i just got mine today. I also ordered a Kingmax 2gb sd card that i can't get to work even with a card reader...the 1gb card i have works but no usb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vimacs posted on Dec 2 2006 at 07:23 AM said:
sounds like the psu doesn't have a even signal, is it unregulated?
:D

Right on Vimacs, The power supply will need to provide a stable (regulated voltage) to provide sufficently even power for data aquistion over the usb, you may have got away with it if the power supply you were using was a higher level mA output (not higher voltage) because any fluctuations when using the extra power the usb connection requires may have been less. When a cheap power supply is put under heavy load the voltage output from it actually drops so instead of getting 3volt, when you try the usb connection the extra draw on the power supply may cause the output to drop to 2.5 or 2 volts which will then cause havoc with the usb connection. :D

100% confirm this. Seems like cheap unregulated supplies cause too many issues with the USB (I have tried so many now!). The only supply I have found that works all the time is the one supplied from GPH and a couple of (kinda) cheap PSU's from RadioShack (I think Tandy is no longer in the UK, so no luck there). If your in the UK and GBAX doesn't have them, I would probably visit RS/Farnell or that other electronic spares company that I can't remeber ;) . Unfortunatley looks like we have to spend a little extra on a decent supply, pay peanuts, get monkeys.... etc :)

GP2X Sales in USA posted on Dec 4 2006 at 07:24 AM said:
If your in the UK and GBAX doesn't have them, I would probably visit RS/Farnell or that other electronic spares company that I can't remeber ;) .

:D MAPLINS, ok for you UK folks here is a link to Maplins for a Regulated 1200ma supply which means that the voltage and milliamps shouldn't drop under USB load, (dont take this as gospel as i Have not had hold of one so cannot confirm if it works with the GP2X). anyone got one let us know please

Maplins adapter

This is as i stated a "REGULATED" power supply not "SWITCHED" sadly i have just done some tests on the ARGOS £14.99 power supply reccomended in the WIKI and it also has problems when connecting via USB this will be because it is "switched".

Luckily we hopefully wont be needing to use the usb that often but in the future it may become a requirement for connecting units together for multiplay etc.

I wish i had not read the WIKI and just gone to Maplins first.

Anyone who gets one of the maplins supplys please do some testing with it on usb for us :D and post the results here.

Back