Usb Doesn't Work

Ghostalker

Still Fresh
My problem is that I've got my 2x, switched it on, plugged the cable into my computer, and NOTHING happens, not even a "Hardware Found" message. As I don't have an SD card for it (yet) or a reader, I can't actually upload anything onto it, making it a pertty £125 paperweight

Anyone experienced this problem? Any advice on what to do or who to contact?

Thanks in advance :)

Ghostalker posted on Dec 26 2005 at 12:45 PM said:
My problem is that I've got my 2x, switched it on, plugged the cable into my computer, and NOTHING happens, not even a "Hardware Found" message.  As I don't have an SD card for it (yet) or a reader, I can't actually upload anything onto it, making it a pertty £125 paperweight

Anyone experienced this problem? Any advice on what to do or who to contact?

Thanks in advance :)

Try checking the pinned thread at the top of the GP2X forum.

Before it will work you must go to the tools menu and select USB Connect!

1. The cable is sometimes faulty, try a different one.
2. Use the rear port on the motherboard of your PC.
3. Use Linux or a USB 1.1 hub.
4. Even if it does work, the batteries will die sooner and the speed is very slow.
5. Large files/sustained transfers lock it up.
6. Most people don't care about this problem because a good SD reader is only £5, and craigx from gbax.com has offered a free reader to those with troubles (I assume this is as supplies last, and for people who ordered from his site, maybe ask around, I heard someone got 2 and wasn't having problems anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
that's not good. What platform are you using?

I'm not totally sure about this because I'm still on Win98, so I only use a card reader and not USB direct connection (win98 doesn't have the necessary USB mass storage driver needed), but I believe that for USB to work properly you need WinXP or Linux, and also an SD card to write to. You can't actually write directly to the nand memory, as this is mostly reserved for the O/S and patches etc.
someone correct me if this is wrong.

basically, you need an SD card before you can do anything useful.

Back