Usage

gingio

Still Fresh
I wonder what benefits Pandora can bring to my 7 year old who already has his 160 (and growing) iphone gs games/apps and use it only when I am driving? At home he plays his macmini with 23" led highlighted asus monitor and I am not sure can be bothered with 4.5" handheld. :unsure:

If you're already that invested in the iPhone then the Pandora probably won't really add very much. Most of the benefits of it would be lost on the average 7 year old. It has superior controls and is generally easier to program for, neither of which are things a young child is likely to care about. As far as watching movies, listening to music, or surfing the web, both are very capable. With it's actual keyboard, things like web browsing or writing notes might be easier on the Pandora, but is your son likely to benefit from such things?
The Pandora is an amazing machine, but may not be suitable for everyone.

a pandora will not do any more damage to your sons development than his i-crap has already done. i suggest you buy him a football or a catchers mit.

Get him a puppy.
img_0286.jpg

ouch!

FWIW my <3year old loves my iphone, for watching cartoons before bed. She will not be permitted to go near my Pandora .. shes already yanked enough keys off laptops!

jeff

If he was say, ten years old or more, and you were a geeky kind of parent willing to mentor him a little (maybe you are) then I'd say go for it. The potential for so much learning is there, from basic Linux command line stuff to getting started writing his own code. (You don't have to know this stuff to use Pandora of course, it's as user friendly as you want it to be. But the potential is there.) But he might be a little young right now, which would make the Pandora a bit of a waste.

BACK IN MY DAY RANT: Back in my day, kids got computers with keyboards and command lines and by gosh, they learned how to use them. These days they get appstores and touchscreens and they think they have to go to university to make software.

Not sure if you are posting to enquire or to show off, But rather than spend even more money on your 7 year old,
Who seems to be doing pretty well for gadgets already.

Why not spend the money wisely and put it towards a decent education, Or take him on an adventure holiday to get him
away from all the gadgets he seems to be accumulating. He`ll love you better for it, And you may get to know him
better as a person, Rather than a child stuck in front of or behind a TV, Games console, Iphone etc.

Trooper

b1llygo4t said:
a pandora will not do any more damage to your sons development than his i-crap has already done. i suggest you buy him a football or a catchers mit.

he cannot do his tennis, skies and gymnastics while in the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
BACK IN MY DAY RANT: Back in my day, kids got computers with keyboards and command lines and by gosh, they learned how to use them. These days they get appstores and touchscreens and they think they have to go to university to make software.
Quoted for truth!

You can't play Pokemon on an iPhone, and that's something every 7 year old must do. FireRed and LeafGreen for GBA on Pandora.

fischju2000 said:
You can't play Pokemon on an iPhone, and that's something every 7 year old must do. FireRed and LeafGreen for GBA on Pandora.
Why not pokemon red and green on gameboy color, would be cheaper... and with a real retro gaming aftertaste!

At 4 years old I was mashing keys of a Timex Sinclair it went all down hill from then.

gingio said:
b1llygo4t said:

he cannot do his tennis, skies and gymnastics while in the car.

Books, or comics. Pandora is over kill for a 7 year old that already has a handheld full of games.

Go to teach him learn computer programming in a proper way (you could start with LOGO). Seymour Papert has some interesting methods.

Also, there's this board game: c-jump

Then in a a year he'll be able to develop software for Pandora :D

Don't give him Apple hardware! That only creates stupid users instead smart ones. Make him learn the UNIX way! 80s has created a lot of programmers, an important percentage of them being good ones. In those days learning computer programming for using the computer was near to mandatory :)

Great and unique learning game for kids! It teaches the child basic commands of a programming language, such as "if", "else", "switch", and introduces variable "x" concept.

Here's a Virtual Tour. There's also a teacher's guide.

This could help me to learn C easier too :p

There's also Little Wizard, a development environment for children (intented to be used by primary school children)

This guy's gotta be someone's alt messing with us, right?
who gets on a forum for a homebrew console and brags about being an uninformed consumer and gobbling up Apple shovelware?

rabidpoobear said:
who gets on a forum for a homebrew console and brags about being an uninformed consumer and gobbling up Apple shovelware?
How dare he support a CORPORATION? He should use only open source products, like the rest of us! His kid doesn't even know he's feeding into the capitalist (or should I say FASCIST) machine!

GD it... where did I set down my open source toilet paper?

Chest Rockwell said:
rabidpoobear said:
How dare he support a CORPORATION? He should use only open source products, like the rest of us! His kid doesn't even know he's feeding into the capitalist (or should I say FASCIST) machine!

30w00id.jpg

rabidpoobear said:
Average consumers, that's who. It's just an indication of who/where Pandora is managing to reach.

Chest Rockwell said:
rabidpoobear said:

PoisonedV? :rolleyes:

Back