Need to find new usage options for Pandora: else selling it and leaving the community

Wootson

The past few days have been really weird. First I was ready to sell my Pandora and leave the community as a long member, but then it magically self destructs the LCD cable due to some long ongoing issues with the cracked case. For me this was a serious WTF moment and I had some long thinking sessions about what to do next. Craig offered a replacement unit, so in that aspect everything seems to be going fine. It's just that I can't really see myself use the Pandora that much in the future, and that was my original decision for selling the device.

I always carry a fifteen inch laptop with me at school, which is really necessary because the study material (hardware and software) is not very accessible via Linux and Android. Plus I can hook it up to a monitor via VGA so I can work on two screens at the same time. A power source is always nearby, so I can't see myself use the Pandora that much in that environment, apart from using it for playing games, surfing the school's intranet, and some PDF reading before exams. Before making exams (only activity on that day, mostly) I don't really need a laptop, so that's why I always took the Pandora with me.

For example: using Putty for managing the school's routing equipment is really a pain in the ass via the Pandora, when you have a multiple large screen combo at hand. I also don't travel that much anymore by train and bus, but mostly with my own car. So I can't use it for that anymore either. Which was one of the reasons why I bought it in the first place. At home I have a small army of consoles (both retro and current generation), and a fast desktop PC with all bells and whistles. So the Pandora never really received the attention it deserved. And I can't really force myself to use the Pandora when every console it can emulate is right here next to me, accessible via a big screen.

Pretty much every XFCE desktop thing the Pandora can do, my Windows 7 Professional based laptop/desktop setup can do too at much higher speeds and with better input options. Even in the garden I have wall power for using my laptop, so that's neither a valid option to use the Pandora (battery life).

I'm really having second thoughts about selling the Pandora and doing something else with the money (not buying a new computer device). But I can't really see any options to use the device in my personal environment. The community was and still is great, but I can't force myself to stay when I'm not using the Pandora actively. It either means finding new ways to use the Pandora and stay active, or sell the Pandora and leave the community. It's truly a great device with tons of options, but everything it can do is within reach in my personal environment. Am I missing some usage options for the device? I really don't know and would like to have some input on this.

Classic Computer emulation such as DOS and Amiga takes up the Majority of my use for the Pandora. I do enjoy a bit of the console emulation. The rest of my time is my attempts at porting things to the Pandora.

The keyboard to me is the biggest advantage over the rest of the competition. At work I use it often to ssh into some Unix boxes and tail log files real time.

I sometimes put in my Android SD cards and use it for Netflix or streaming music and some games.

I live on the go for the most part and find myself waiting somewhere. The Pandora is a handy time sink to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could give you some awesome advice, but if you're already always carrying your laptop around it seems like you're covered.

Owning a Pandora makes you cool. Fact.

No matter what version you have, it's a limited edition, ultra-rare conversation piece of unholy geekiness.

... or... it would be if people would stop confusing it with a DS.

This is really annoying. I'm nearsighted and don't normally wear my glasses, but I can still tell the difference between the Pandora's matte painted texture and the DS Lite's glossy finish from a mile away. Not to mention the way you use it is completely different; since when did you see anyone pressing on various places of the DS with their thumbs? Or bringing their finger or a stylus up to the top screen?

And that's assuming that the very obvious KEYBOARD isn't seen. I've had people still think it's a DS even though they're in plain sight of it. It's like they don't even look, they see a clamshell at that size and just assume it must be a DS.

</rant>

Sounds like you should go on more long distance trips, or sell it.

Yeah it isn't meant to replace anyone's home computing or gaming setup, that's kind of ridiculous. Quite the converse, its hallmark is of course portability and consolidation of gaming/computing, and if you're never in need of portability or consolidation then you don't need Pandora.

It is still a hacker's curiosity and a huge travel convenience. Even if you only fly once or twice a year you may find it a worthy investment for all the luggage space you'll save while still having (mostly) laptop functionality.

Advantage over the laptop: A much more instant gaming device, fully self-contained.

On the laptop you first have to connect a controller, then start the game with one sort of input control (i.e. mouse), then possible switch to another controller (i.e. gamepad).

And my laptop is mentally associated as a "work device".

Whereas the Pandora is a pleasure-only device, for that sole purpose alone to me. Just turn it on, hands onto it, and pleasure starts (especially now, where the OS achieved a certain acceptable functionality)

Advantage over the laptop: A much more instant gaming device, fully self-contained.

On the laptop you first have to connect a controller, then start the game with one sort of input control (i.e. mouse), then possible switch to another controller (i.e. gamepad).

And my laptop is mentally associated as a "work device".

Whereas the Pandora is a pleasure-only device, for that sole purpose alone to me. Just turn it on, hands onto it, and pleasure starts (especially now, where the OS achieved a certain acceptable functionality)

If that was your only use case, depending on your gaming needs, the upcoming GCW Zero might be a better choice (since it's a lot cheaper and comes really close to the Pandora's gaming capabilities).

To me the QWERTY controls on the Pandora are:

• a plus for gaming too, as some games may require many buttons
  • and ports from desktop games are also achieved very easily.

hmm, let's see:

You could turn it into an audio/mediaplayer. I hear the headphone's audio-output-quality is in a class of its own.

Use it as a controller for domotica/your tv(incl tv-guide). Lots of DIY though...

Use it as a GPS-navigation-device in your car.

Abuse it as an external battery for mobile phones.

Use it as a game-controller on another gamebox. (if you can get that to work...)

Use it as a living-room/kitchen-pc. Much more practical and social than a laptop imho.

Attach an umts-dongle and make your own big-battery mobile wifi-hotspot.

However, most of those things can be done almost just as well with an android-phone...

The way you explain your situation makes me think you don't really need your Pandora anymore. Perhaps you should sell it to someone who really wants one.

On the other hand you can keep it for the purpose of learning any programming language to contribute your own software to the Pandora community. For me the community behind the Pandora is its biggest pro argument. There doesn't exist a community for your Windows laptop. And you can't really call Xbox users or 3DS players or Sony fanboys or whatever a real community. Sure there are many boards where you can talk about the newest games but that's it. Here you can test the games from other Pandora owners, talk to them, give them constructive criticism and release your own software projects. This open community approach makes the Pandora so special as it is.

No matter what version you have, it's a limited edition, ultra-rare conversation piece of unholy geekiness.

yup.some people even asked this at gamescom.some people were comparing the size of their 3ds´s to the pandoras too.

I wish I could give you some awesome advice, but if you're already always carrying your laptop around it seems like you're covered.

I'm forced to carry a laptop with me at all times during time spend at school/internship. Which will take between another year to a year and a half.

True. Everybody that ever saw my Pandora thought it looked great and fired away their questions on what it is and what it can do.

Sounds like you should go on more long distance trips, or sell it.

I don't travel that much and don't see myself traveling that much within the next years. Besides, not viewing the road while in a car/bus makes me feel very weird. While traveling by train I don't have this problem. But even though traveling by public transport is completely free during my study period, I rather go everywhere with my car. If you want to be somewhere on time in The Netherlands, make sure you rely completely on yourself. Had so many unpleasant experiences with public transport that I even refuse to use it if it's free, which says enough.

hmm, let's see:

You could turn it into an audio/mediaplayer. I hear the headphone's audio-output-quality is in a class of its own.

Use it as a controller for domotica/your tv(incl tv-guide). Lots of DIY though...

Use it as a game-controller on another gamebox. (if you can get that to work...)

Use it as a living-room/kitchen-pc. Much more practical and social than a laptop imho.

However, most of those things can be done almost just as well with an android-phone...

Audio is superb via the headphone output, which makes the Pandora an excellent audio player. But my desktop is already hooked to a very nice speaker set and headphone. Can't use everything at the same time...

I don't watch TV and very rarely use GPS.

My cheap Nokia dumbphone doesn't even have a USB connection, so powering it is out of the question without creating some very weird construction.

Can't use it as a controller either...

My mother will go crazy of confusion when I set her up with anything else than desktop system with Windows.

Already have build-in Wi-Fi on my modem/router.

Plus, I'm one of those people that doesn't have or need a smartphone. The Pandora could potentially be my main Android device, but I can't really see any use for Android related applications.

On the other hand you can keep it for the purpose of learning any programming language to contribute your own software to the Pandora community. For me the community behind the Pandora is its biggest pro argument. There doesn't exist a community for your Windows laptop. And you can't really call Xbox users or 3DS players or Sony fanboys or whatever a real community. Sure there are many boards where you can talk about the newest games but that's it. Here you can test the games from other Pandora owners, talk to them, give them constructive criticism and release your own software projects. This open community approach makes the Pandora so special as it is.

Programming is really frustrating in my experience. I'm already wanting to kill myself while writing a few simple scripts in PowerShell or Perl. When looking at something like C++, my brain is just completely confused (an out of this world experience). It's like reading hieroglyphs to me. Well, at least hieroglyphs make sense of some sort... I want to understand, but no programming language I have ever seen makes any sense to me. Well, Inform 7 does somehow, but that's only for making text based games, which nobody will probably ever play unless you are some kind of interactive fiction writing popstar.

The Pandora community is however one of the points that is truly great about owning the device. Where else do you actually get to know and talk with the creators behind the device? Where else can you have so much positive input on what becomes the output of an individual or group behind the hardware and software? No community I have ever been a part of was better than the ones for the open source devices.

Somehow I seem to have a luxury problem.

Id say unless you need the cash, keep it. Who knows, it may re-interest you at some point, and it costs nothing to hold on to it :) . Even if you put it propped open as a mantel piece for a good while it would still be cool.

hmm, let's see:

great list!

the ´abuse it´ choice got me laughing. :D

I feel like when I get bored with my Pandora, I'll end up hiding it in the bottom of the magazine rack in my bathroom for when I have downtime. I also want to see if it's possible to port one of the synth programs (if one hasn't been already) to take midi input from my keyboard and output synth sounds. I don't even know if it's possible, but it would be a nifty feature.

As far as not being able to program: do you have any other skills that could aid in video game development? While the Pandora probably wouldn't aid you as much as it would with programming, it would allow you to see the game develop on its intended device.

It's a shame to see a community member go, especially before I've made it to the party. I've started to consider upgrading my unit, but I need to do more research first.

There are some synthes and sequencer ported already afaik and work with usb mididevices, so what are you waiting for? Make some music :)

The Pandora is great for use in the bathroom. I use it also while taking a bath (don't drop it though!). In the train and while waiting for the train to arrive. While waiting in the queue at the coffee machine at work. In elevators. In airplanes (economy class). While walking (usually only to play music and view a map). While waiting in any queue (e.g. passport control or security). In the car or bus. When I'm eating alone - e.g. great for IRC chatting or checking mails while having breakfast in a hotel on a business trip. When my wife is shopping for clothes and for some reason I'm with her and have to wait. And so on.

All of this is difficult or not possible with a full laptop, and even with a netbook it's tricky. A (small) tablet or smartphone could be used in those circumstances, but I really like physical controls. I own a laptop, an iPad, a small netbook (Sony Vaio P series), and a Pandora. When I'm travelling I always take the Pandora with me, and also the full laptop if I need it. I used to take the netbook and/or tablet, but those have become redundant now; the tablet is essentially just used as a web browser and GPS, the netbook I don't use at all anymore.

Back