US English Vs the World..(Split from Compo4all Discussion)

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
The correct grammar would have been to say "You can add games to your favourites list" or something like that, but I'm lazy and English, and my English is lazy (sometimes) :)

PS. Favour has a "u" in ;)

The correct grammar would have been to say "You can add games to your favourites list" or something like that, but I'm lazy and English, and my English is lazy (sometimes) :)

PS. Favour has a "u" in ;)
Isn't English a third language for those who are English as well?  My understanding was that in England the first language is Tea and the second language had something to do with Blood Pudding.  I'm forgetting the details now.

Oh and... "Bugger'em Millennium Hand and Shrimp"

Actually, NearTao...it was not Blood Pudding...but Spotted Dick you were thinking of.

1269203575706-2107478903.jpeg

And there is no "u" in COLOR or FAVOR.  And "privacy" is pronounced "PRY VA SEE" not "prih va see"

(oh, boy...this one is microwaveable, too!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, in English there is indeed a u in colour and favour.  To paraphrase Lucille Ball Vivian Vance;  you're an American, you don't speak English! ;)

- Neelix

Edit: I've not been able to find a clip of the relevant I love Lucy episode,  but I did find 2 references attributing the line to Ethel rather than Lucy.

Can we please keep this on track, or shall I ask for a mod to split the "English" debate somewhere else?

Yes, in English there is indeed a u in colour and favour.  To paraphrase Lucille Ball;  you're an American, you don't speak English! ;)

- Neelix
Remember who won the Revolutionary War...and the War of 1812.Therefore, we are right. :p
 Australia never participated in either conflict,  so to me they are completely irrelevant in this context. :p

- Neelix

(P.S. do agree with pmprog  Could a mod please split this conversation to a new thread?)

Australia has nothing to do with it.  I'm a Yank, not an Australian.

Oh, wait, never mind...YOU are an Australian, lol.

Hey...Australia was colonized when Britain kicked people out...so you should be on our side, Neelix.

And I agree to move this to another topic, too.

New topic Title: "British English Versus Real English" :p :D

You DO know I'm just ragging you, right, Neelix?

But, seriously, do Australians eat Spotted Dick too, or is that just a British thing?

Now, I have HEARD of vegemite...been told it is very much an acquired taste.

Lets discuss this in a more off topic setting..

I personally think we need more U's in every day words.

Australia was colonised .... with an S ;)

...and its Black Pudding, the blood one

In America they had the Wii, then came the Wii

;)

...see what I done there

lol what a topic :)

There was already the English way of spelling before America created their own "dumbed down" spellings, did they truely think that these words were so hard to spell?
I mean come on "aluminum"? what is that? its "alumin-i-um!

please dont take offense its meant in jeast

English is spoken in England. If you wanted independence so much, then surely it would have made sense to come up with your own language? Oh wait you did! <_< But to confuse matters you still refer to it as English...

Btw one word in particular grates more than any other, Aluminum... seriously it makes it sound like it should glow in the dark or something. :ph34r:

Also faucet... I'm lazy dammit and tap is only one syllable! :lol:

Edit: Milkshake was on the same  wavelength at the sametime I was finishing my post, lol.

Hey...Australia was colonized when Britain kicked people out...so you should be on our side, Neelix.
Not entirely... While I can trace my ancestry back to convicts on the First Fleet, some of my ancestors did come to Australia by choice. :) In any case that's not an excuse to mutilate the language. ;) :p

And I agree to move this to another topic, too.

New topic Title: "British English Versus Real English" :p :D
Haha - nice try! :p

You DO know I'm just ragging you, right, Neelix?
Of course, but I couldn't let that go unanswered. ;)

But, seriously, do Australians eat Spotted Dick too, or is that just a British thing?

Now, I have HEARD of vegemite...been told it is very much an acquired taste.
Spotted Dick is pretty much just a British thing AFAIK. I dare say its available here, but I wouldn't call it a staple of the Aussie diet. :)

Vegemite may be an acquired taste... but we acquire it young. :) (usually on sandwiches with cheese)

I've heard that the mistake most yanks make with vegemite is to slather it on thick as if it was peanut butter. You need to spread it thin, as a little goes a long way. :)

- Neelix

I actually say Aluminium the UK "real?" way, but that's because I stumble every time I try to say it the US way.

maybe because I live in New England?

As a native English speaker I'm in the rare position of actually preferring Aluminum to Aluminium, for some reason it just sounds nicer to my ear.

There is a rather interesting back story, in lexicographical terms, as to the origin of the confusion over the name. Fellow Brits may be surprised to learn that Element 13 was officially called Aluminum before it was renamed Aluminium.

Do Americans drop the 'I' within other periodic table elements?

Calcum, potassum, magnesum, helum..

Do Americans drop the 'I' within other periodic table elements?

Calcum, potassum, magnesum, helum..
Homer Simpson teached me, there's also the word "Nucular". :D

Most things I know about the USA are actualy from the Simpsons, interesting, eh? :lol:

lol what a topic 

There was already the English way of spelling before America created their own "dumbed down" spellings, did they truely think that these words were so hard to spell?

I mean come on "aluminum"? what is that? its "alumin-i-um!

please dont take offense its meant in jeast
Don't forget the Aluminium tubes!!!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/r7T9gicSnR0?feature=oembed

Back