US English Vs the World..(Split from Compo4all Discussion)

Back then, Canada wasn't even a real country yet.
Well yes, but the landmass that would eventually become Canada was the disputed winner of the war of 1812. Thankful for slow communications though: a few weeks later and it would have gone the other way.

Bottom line IS that most of us speak English...in various forms (on these forums).  I don't get some slang and the nuances from other cultures, but the basic terms are the same.  English is a common language of business and commerce...and communication.  When I traveled in Europe I was impressed so much with how people treated me and how they spoke - I also always tried to speak in German (or French)....or their native tongue.  I enjoy learning.  It didn't matter if my speech was flawed, it mattered that I tried to comunicate with the other person.  I loved my time in Munich and Austria..I was and am a warm-blooded man...and love the salt water, but I acclimated fine....went down to Switzerland....St Anton it was a bit colder...I skied..a bit but I was ill-prepared for the slopes.   It was my second time skiing and I made the most of it, but I mostly enjoyed the sights.  Amazing views....Beautiful town.

The ENGLISH Language is what it is...it's constantly evolving...maybe I'm just blessed.  Born into a time where I witnessed a convergence of understanding.  Where people in other countries sought to learn that language for their future betterment?  I have no idea...maybe in 50 years we will all be speaking a Chinese dialect?  Cantonese?  Mandarin or others ....there are at least 14 distinct "languages".  I'm far a too fat and a razy.

Well, until the do Chinese with an ALPHABET, there is no way I'm learning Chinese!

Way too difficult.

Hell, back in the 80's we all thought we'd be speaking Japanese by now and we aren't.

Well, until the do Chinese with an ALPHABET, there is no way I'm learning Chinese!

Way too difficult.

Hell, back in the 80's we all thought we'd be speaking Japanese by now and we aren't.

誰もが今では日本語を話すされ..

Google translated.. so I could be saying anything...

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, why can't everyone just speak English?  It's good enough for me...

And I'm a lazy bitch. :p

I already had to learn the language of EOB/ERA's, and that's enough, thanks.

Besides, they keep changing the rules every time you learn them!

Yeah, I'm running that one through a translator.

Looks like it might be German.

Nope.  It's Swedish.

I think English is grossly overrated. Why can not all talk Swedish instead? Would be much easier for me

LOL.

My own opinion is...three good things came from Sweden:

1. Volvo

2. Saab

3. ABBA

Not necessarily in that order.

You DO know I'm ragging you, right?

You should have "Smörgåsbord" and "Ombudsman" on that list too. And possibly "Surströmming" :D

LOL, why can't everyone just speak English?  It's good enough for me...

And I'm a lazy bitch. :p

I already had to learn the language of EOB/ERA's, and that's enough, thanks.

Besides, they keep changing the rules every time you learn them!
Do you realise that if you excpt UK, all the rest of europa speaks other languages?

1. Chinese* (937,132,000)
  2. Spanish (332,000,000)
  3. English (322,000,000)
  4. Bengali (189,000,000)
  5. Hindi/Urdu (182,000,000)
  6. Arabic* (174,950,000)
  7. Portuguese (170,000,000)
  8. Russian (170,000,000)
  9. Japanese (125,000,000)
  10. German (98,000,000)
  11. French* (79,572,000)
Learn Mandarin

and that's not even taking in account English vs US English... :p

You should have "Smörgåsbord" and "Ombudsman" on that list too. And possibly "Surströmming" :D
I'm familiar with the first two  but I've never heard of Surströmming before.  

*looks it up on wikipedia*

Hrm.. based on that article the closest thing that comes to mind is Bismarck Herring  (or Pickled Herring as it is usually referred to here)  but I get the impression there is a considerable difference between the two....

Damnit...   I read about pickled herring and now I find myself craving rollmops, which I haven't had in years...

- Neelix

I Cologne/Köln (german city), it is officially forbidden to open a can of Surströmming inside of a building with appartments in it.

This would be a bad idea anyway. xD

My brother got pretty fluent in Arabic but of course he had the time to go to evening classes, i always wanted to improve my german and learn russian. I doubt either of those things are going to happen though i just dont have the time, so i'll stick with PROPER english. Maybe collectively we can teach Kumaki and perhaps we'll make her pass for an english lady. Tea and Crumpets anyone?

Back