Updating Firmware?

great, now GND. has me worried, i have a 512mb toshiba card, i ahve a cardreader as well, a sakar one, mebe that will make a difference?

Oh boy - it DEFINATELY looks like a card issue...

Tried four different cards, only the fifth one (512MB SanDisk) did work.

Oh boy - it DEFINATELY looks like a card issue...

Tried four different cards, only the fifth one (512MB SanDisk) did work.

I'm heading out this afternoon to buy a cheapo 128 MB SanDisk just for flashing seeing as I won't probably be able to flash it until I do.

Just please let this firmware improve my battery life!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my GP2X and am using a SanDisk 1GB SD card.
Updated firmware successfully after formatting SD as Fat32 and inserting it with .img file on it. No version change apparent but that's the way it's supposed to be. Installed stereo fix and second patch. Swapped out lame batteries with better ones.
Installed lib allegedly needed for games.
Can't run any games, solid black.
No Shanghai, no anything.
No USB connectivity to any XP machine I've tried on any port.

Anybody fancy having a go at writing a procedure here, Upgrading Firmware, that actually works?

This card issue really sucks. I'm getting really pissed off at the half-baked state of the firmware: I can't even upgrade it? WTF :angry:

Well, Ive got a Samsung 2 GB 150x. Did anyone test that brand of cards yet? I know 2 gb wont work, but hopefully soon.

Well, Ive got a Samsung 2 GB 150x. Did anyone test that brand of cards yet? I know 2 gb wont work, but hopefully soon.
go over to the photo place in town and get a 128 or whatever. that way you know when u get ur system u have a readable card and something to upgrade the firmware

I can't get it to work, using the 1gb Integral card I got from gbax. I am sure I've formatted the thing as FAT32, so it must either be a card issue or a card-reader issue. :angry:

I think the best thing to do now is go to the store tomorrow and see if I can buy a 128mb Sandisk card, since these seem to always work.

My GP2X now won't look at my card! I used the OSX command 'newfs_msdos -F32 /dev/disk1' to reformat it (as suggested by iignotus), and the card still works (OSX reads and writes it just fine), but the GP2X can't see it at all (and, of course, now refuses to connect over USB).

Sigh. Going backwards.

i've got 2 SD cards cant get either to update the firmware either.
1 is viking 512 , the other is a viking 1GB

might have to "borrow" one from work :) and see if it will do the trick :)

neosalad

I tried creating/formatting FAT32 under both Windows XP SP2 and Mandriva Linux 2006. No joy from either.

I've tried the card I got from Craigix (1GB Integral) and a Jessops branded 256MB SD card, with no luck whatsoever.

:angry:

I bought a Sandisk 1GB today, formatted it as fat32 and lo and behold, the firmware upgrading screen appeared... Yay! :)

I bought a card reader and all was sorted, the USB support on the GP2X is very dodgy it says it's copied properly but in fact it hasn't, trust me. I couldn't get Quake to work at all copying the files directly over the USB connection either.

Now I have the card reader I just formatted the SD card and copied the img file onto it, verified on the GP2X it could see it then powered off then on, shortly after powering on the firmware update screen appeared. It was ALL down to the USB in the end.

You won't get it working transfering over USB to the GP2X, I tried at least 20 times

Cannibal.

Back