Aarrgh... Firmware Update Problem.

jerschwab

Still Fresh
Hey guys, I was updating my firmware from 1.2.1 to 1.4. When the firmware was finished updating, I ran the Patch program.

The Patch program ran for about 5 or 6 minutes. It said "Complete", but never got past that dialogue box. I then switched off my unit.

Now, each time I start up (and I've tried about 15 times)... I get the black GP2X screen first, but only get as far as the green "Loading" screen.

I can still upgrade or downgrade firmwares, but that doesn't seem to do anything other than change the firmware version on the green screen (note: it also deleted the .img file from the SD card further indicating a successful flash).

Should I follow the guide here?

http://www.distant-earth.com/gp2x/2005/11/...cked-gp2xs.html

I'm lost other than that...

Thanks!

I just made a *picture* How all of a sudden do I get blamed for bricking GP2Xs? Certainly a picture can't do that. And if it is someone that is just using the picture but did the FW themselves then it is their fault not mine and should be called "Sams FW" etc.

I didn't do it. :ph34r:

sam fisher posted on Feb 19 2006 at 08:15 PM said:
Did you use the DaveC version?

Yes, actually I did... among other things that I goofed around with including the "quick boot" thing here:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=25894

I think the problem with people with GP2X (or at least me), is that it is for people that like to mess around on their own... without necessarily understanding how it all works. It can surely cause problems if the hardware is not robust.

I have an Audiovox Pocket PC, I can't even count how many times I've bricked it in the past month. The good thing about that is that you just hold two buttons together and it reloads the original configuration. Then I restore everything using the xBackup that comes with it.

Lots of fun!

Edit: I used the guide and fixed it. It worked great, took just about an hour! After seeing so many failed boot attempts before this, I was somewhat pessimistic about it actually working. I saw that "firmware updating" screen for way too long for me to be comfortable. But in the end, I have a working GP2X again!

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Feb 20 2006 at 02:53 PM said:
I just made a *picture* How all of a sudden do I get blamed for bricking GP2Xs? Certainly a picture can't do that. And if it is someone that is just using the picture but did the FW themselves then it is their fault not mine and should be called "Sams FW" etc.

Nah it's not your fault. Who ever packaged it with the update must have done something wrong. But the "DaveC update" has been taken off now so I doesn't matter. By just using a script to copy the picture over will probably work but now I'm just too scared :)

sand_man posted on Feb 20 2006 at 05:07 AM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 20 2006 at 02:53 PM said:
I just made a *picture*  How all of a sudden do I get blamed for bricking GP2Xs?  Certainly a picture can't do that.  And if it is someone that is just using the picture but did the FW themselves then it is their fault not mine and should be called "Sams FW" etc.

Nah it's not your fault. Who ever packaged it with the update must have done something wrong. But the "DaveC update" has been taken off now so I doesn't matter. By just using a script to copy the picture over will probably work but now I'm just too scared :)

The script is harmless. It just copies the PNG file over, it doesn't mess with any other critical files. Go ahead be brave.

DaveC posted on Feb 20 2006 at 05:23 AM said:

I made it very clear with CAPITAL letters that it was me. And something to do with GPH's patcher. It doesnt like any other sized files but the ones in there :( Before someone says I have a corrupted one its the same one uploaded to the archive under the normal one because I uploaded that. So yep all those people who called me stupid. Shut up you were all to stupid to click the add file button on the gp2x.de archive!

DaveC posted on Feb 20 2006 at 05:23 AM said:

haha!
Sure you didn't dave!
:lol:

How long should the flashing take? It's been at least 7 min for me and it's still on the 'Firmware Upgrading' screen. How long should I wait before I worry?

Thanx,
Stan

7 minutes seems too long. i don't know if your SD card makes a difference but mine probably took less than a minute - i was surprised at how quick/painless it was, especially considering that i used batteries.

sorry if i was being confusing. i was referring to the "fast boot" cramfs firmware. this is installed in two stages (still easy though, i think the thread is still on the main page. i'd suggest you read that because i don't want to explain it wrong and cause any bricks!)

Yeah I thought you might have meant the cramfs version.

Less than a minute for a reflash? I'll certainly consider it.

Do you think the 1.4 firmware is better than 1.2.1?

I know the menu clocks down to about 60Mhz, does that mean if you run anything else that runs at 60Mhz.
I only really OCed my GP2X a while ago to see how fast it would go, I mainly underclocked it (Non-rechargeables I've still got a pile of perfectly good ones on my bookshelf :) )
So being stuck at 200Mhz wouldn't be a problem for me, but being stuck at 60Mhz would

Back